Keep an eye on these newspapers/magazines/TV channels

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Not literally of course.... introduced to their music.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You, of all people, Born With... you with that signature... of all the zillions of lines you could have chosen :wink: .

I love your description of his concert, Christine. This is so ideal for my taste:
Just him, his acoustic guitar and a mouth organ.
This description also reminds me of the Harry Chapin concerts I had the privilege to attend. We never know our day or hour, and I'm so glad I was able to experience this very same thing with him. The very same holds true with Leonard's, and now Anjani and Leonard's concerts, as well:
You could hear every breath....... was incredibly special and he held the audience in his hands.
I love it that Kris has chosen to do this kind of thing:
I was lucky enough that he played a benefit for farm workers (just him, the only artist) here in Ventura before he left for Florida and Europe.
Do you have any idea where in Florida he performed? We have many migrant, farm workers here... so I wonder if it was also a benefit he did.

Thank you, Christine, for your kind thoughts and words, awhile ago here.

~ Lizzy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Born With and Lizzy,

I don't know if any others were benefits, I do know he played Lakeland, Stuart, Jacksonville, Talahassee and Sarasota at the end of Feb, beginning of March. Ventura and the surrounding area is very rich in agriculture so many farms teamed up with local restaurants, and so it was a buffet of these combinations at the show that we had the pleasure of eating. He did 2 sets so played for just over 2 hours. 2 hours of magic!!! And I also tried to buy the signed guitar he donated in the auction but got beaten out. Arghhh.

Happy Easter to you.

Christine
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Happy Easter to you, too, Christine :D . Thanks!

Do you also play guitar, or did you just want it as a momento and contribution to a great cause... and for [trusted :wink: ] others to play when they come visit? I used to drag around a baby grand piano for that very reason... acquired it in my marriage and even though I couldn't play, it was such a thrill when others came who did know how, and just sat down and turned it into far more than a beautiful piece of furniture. I finally sold it, when the realization finally sunk in that I was depriving someone of a beautiful instrument. I think there was also some sentimental value involved, but that kind of attachment ought not be so labor intensive.

~ Lizzy
Christine

Post by Christine »

No, I have no talent in that area... but I do have some musician friends who would've done it justice. I see Perla's playing locally here in August (Benefit Food for Thought) so must get my tics for that show. I hope to hear her sing Cucurrucucu Paloma live... it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're so fortunate to live so close to so many venues where so many artists perform, Christine. Yes... by ALL means go see Perla!! Have you ever seen her before?? I can't recall at this moment when it was they performed fairly recently in your area... or whether you were one of the ones who attended.

I saw her in New York at the LC Event and she's wonderful. I've seen some footage of her, too, through here... where she's dancing in the street and her ethnicity is framed so beautifully. She loves to perform barefoot, which immediately drew me to her, if nothing else had... however, her talent would have, regardless of whether she covers her feet.

If you EVER get the chance to see Julie Christensen, also, do NOT hesitate... she's awesome! I saw her along with Perla at the Event. "A Singer Must Die" has got to be one of her signature songs.

Leonard's encouragement was apparently quite instrumental in Perla's decision to pursue her heritage, Spanish music. Is there a link to "Cucurrucucu Paloma" somewhere that you know of?

I need to get off here to go for my Sunday night tradition of a natural, organic dinner and a movie with my friend.

~ Lizzy
Christine

Post by Christine »

I am, I'm very lucky to be here. I did see Perla and Julie at "The Gospel... Leonard Cohen" at UCLA earlier this year. And I've seen Julie in a small venue here but not as the headliner. She's terrific too... and looks fabulous in her LC jacket.

Perla has a myspace page (they all do) - http://www.myspace.com/perlabatalla so you can hear the song there there. I love Perla singing in Spanish so that's the cd I currently have.... "Discoteca Batalla" -- and every song's great. But I plan on buying another one soon.

Enjoy your healthy food.... I'm having bangers and fried tomatoes at home, followed by white sangrias in town with friends.

Christine
margaret

Post by margaret »

I've booked my flights to Ireland for the Midlands festival at the end of July, where Kris Kristofferson, Christy Moore and others (possibly Anjani ?) are performing. Should be a good weekend and an opportuniity also for a few Cohen fans to meet.

Margaret
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I see what you mean, Christine... it's a very beautiful. It has the sound of a very sad, old love song. I didn't have the chance to read the lyrics. I noticed that Sean Lennon is amongst her "Friends" list [his name and photo are on her main page].

You've been fortunate with these performers already then... I'm glad to hear you've seen Julie. I listened to all the songs Perla has up, and then went to find Julie's space, but I got a 21-year-old girl by the same name. Oh well... I'll check it out more later.

~ Lizzy
Christine

Julie's Myspace Page

Post by Christine »

Lizzy, if you go into Perla's site, you'll see that Julie (C and the Stone Cupid) is one of Perla's friends.... just click on that pic and it'll take you right to Julie's site.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, you're right, Christine... of course! Julie would be one of her friends. I'd forgotten about that route [it's what happened with Sean Lennon, too]. I'd been to Julie's site, previously... a long time ago [who knows how I found it] and then, again, I think it was after she briefly came to the Forum and posted about auctioning off on eBay ONE of those black jackets that you mentioned... there were two tours with them. One of them she's keeping [probably the one you saw her wearing] and the other one she was auctioning off... wanting to give us first chance.

Thanks! I'll go there later via linking that way.

~ Lizzy
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

From the Sueddeutsche Zeitung in Germany (interview in German)

http://sz-magazin.sueddeutsche.de/index ... 6f9c9a9566

Return to “News”