Cohen cartoon

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
User avatar
Kush
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:21 am
Location: USA

Post by Kush » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:13 pm

Otherwise, it has to be for the simple folly of either being American or, if not American, of allowing their family members to work in America?
Surely its way way better than being British, working in Britain or even visiting Britain. I am sure my ancestors will agree with that one.
Fljotsdale
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

Post by Fljotsdale » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:53 am

Kush wrote:
Otherwise, it has to be for the simple folly of either being American or, if not American, of allowing their family members to work in America?
Surely its way way better than being British, working in Britain or even visiting Britain. I am sure my ancestors will agree with that one.
LOL! I wouldn't be American if I was paid to be! :lol:

Canadian, maybe...
Or Icelandic... (I like Old Icelandic literature :) )

Though I prefer being English. :wink:

I guess most everyone prefers their own country.
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
User avatar
Kush
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:21 am
Location: USA

Post by Kush » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:56 am

Sweet! nice damage control.


LOL! I wouldn't be American if I was paid to be!

You can rest assured there will not be much chance of that happening....
User avatar
Laura
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:23 am
Location: Bucharest

Post by Laura » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Fljotsdale wrote:I guess most everyone prefers their own country.
Hmmm... If they are very lucky, maybe.
User avatar
margaret
Posts: 1855
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:21 am
Location: UK

Post by margaret » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:41 pm

Laura,

I agree with you. People who have a good life are more likely to prefer their own country, or the one they have adopted. Or maybe they have no experience of life in other places to make proper comparisons. I have travelled a lot and there are better, and worse, places to live than here. I no longer like my own country as much as I did, and hope to move in the future.

Margaret
Fljotsdale
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

Post by Fljotsdale » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:14 pm

Kush wrote: Sweet! nice damage control.
Good, ain't I?
:wink: :lol:

Kush wrote:
LOL! I wouldn't be American if I was paid to be!

You can rest assured there will not be much chance of that happening....
Phew! What a relief! :lol: Actually, I'm way too old and poor to emigrate to the US, even if I wanted to. :wink:
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
Fljotsdale
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

Post by Fljotsdale » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:20 pm

Laura wrote:
Fljotsdale wrote:I guess most everyone prefers their own country.
Hmmm... If they are very lucky, maybe.
I take your point. However, I suspect that most people who leave their own countries do so for excellent reasons that have nothing whatever to do with NOT prefering their own country. I know a number of Polish people who much prefer their own country to Britain, but they live here because they can't get work in Poland. My next-door neighbour is Jamaican, and he loves Jamaica, but he has lived here since he was a young man because of work opportunities.

I suspect that even people who come from very poor and deprived lands actually would prefer their own land to provide their needs, rather than their having to leave to live unwelcome in foreign countries.
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
User avatar
Kush
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:21 am
Location: USA

Post by Kush » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:14 am

F.
Whats with all the smileys and winks and LOLs in responses to me?
If its an overworked effort to irritate me then to be completely honest it wasnt necessary - the content of your posts are enough for that.

anyway, thats enough interaction with you for now. Be well....
User avatar
Sandra
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:01 pm
Location: al sur del mundo
Contact:

Post by Sandra » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:36 am

where will you move margaret? (do not tell if it is a secret....... :) besidesthe places that you know by travelling will not give a final reason to choose the right place....sometimes appearences (?) are misleading..........a happy heart is more important than the place itself...
Last edited by Sandra on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SWITZ
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:36 am
Location: SEATTLE, WA

Post by SWITZ » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:05 am

...Wha..?...why did Kush move over to the other side of the sand box..? :(
Post Reply

Return to “News”