LC & Berlin Event on Arte TV

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

LC & Berlin Event on Arte TV

Post by jarkko » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:46 pm

ARTE TV, The European Culture Channel (available
on satellite everywhere in Europe) will show a new
documentary on September 2 at 23.30 Middle European
Time (reprise on September 3 at 18.05 MET)

Most of the documentary was shot at our Berlin Event
on Friday August 11.

Samstag, 2. September 2006 um 23:30
VPS : 23.30
Wiederholungen :
03.09.2006 um 18:05

Metropolis
Magazin, Deutschland 2006, NDR, Erstausstrahlung

Leonard Cohen ist zurück.

NDR © Sony BMG/Tom Sheehan

Leonard Cohen ist zurück.
Eine gute Nachricht für Leonard-Cohen-Fans: "Book of Longing", das lang erwartete und im Mai erschienene Buch des melancholischen Poeten wird gerade in elf Sprachen übersetzt. Eine Live-DVD - so heißt es - ist in Vorbereitung. Die letzten Gedichte und Songs sind während seines jahrelangen Aufenthaltes in einem buddhistischen Kloster entstanden, in dem er mit dem Namen Jirkan bis 1999 lebte. Zu seinem 70. Geburtstag entstand der Film "I'm Your Man" von Lian Lunson. Rahmenhandlung ist ein Konzert zu Ehren Cohens, in dem zahlreiche Künstler seine Songs interpretieren. Dazu gibt es Interviews und Bilder aus Cohens Leben. Leonard Cohen selbst war seit 14 Jahren nicht mehr live aufgetreten. Der Regisseurin war es zuletzt doch noch gelungen, ihn zu einem Auftritt vor ihrer Kamera zu bewegen. Im September wird er nun 72 und scheint eine Welttournee zu planen.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:06 am

Don't forget this satellite transmission next weekend!!! - Also on cable TV in many countries in Europe.
schmedler

Post by schmedler » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:01 pm

will anyone PLEASEEEEE......be recording this? we don't get this station in the states, well at least not in texas and i am dying to see it!! thanks

laura
Henning

Post by Henning » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:19 pm

Laura,

according to Susan from ARTE, the whole news report on Leonard Cohen will be 8 minutes long. She wasn't really happy with the fact, that she got no rights to include new original material. She asked Lian Lunson for snippets of "I'm your man" but without fortune. Still, Susan said, the film moves very smoothe and it is going to be a neat "Look, Leonard is back" !

The screening of our event will just be a very short part, though they have about 6 hours on their tapes. What I know is that Friedemann Linke, Julien Sorreau, Ann Vriend, Wendy McNeill and Jan Erik Lundquist are to be seen and heard.

Susan promised, that we will get the rights to put the ARTE documentation on the leonardcohenfiles website plus more material for other usage.

Wybe Lageveen has also filmed a lot during the event and he will cut it in the next month. Maybe he can include some of the other material, that was not used by ARTE. At christmas time we will have a complete video documentation of the Berlin event. But I guess around that time all Cohenists are interesteted in one question only: "Will HE come in to our town" ?
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:50 pm

Henning wrote:

"At christmas time we will have a complete video documentation of the Berlin event. But I guess around that time all Cohenists are interesteted in one question only: "Will HE come in to our town" ?"

Bobbie wonders:

Who... ? Santa... ?

(Sorry, I tried, but I couldn't help myself.) :--)
dick

Post by dick » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:58 pm

Not Santa Bobbie

The prize leg lamp!

What kind of Xmas do you expect anyway!
Henning

Post by Henning » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:13 am

Bobbie - how about both at the same time ? Well I know ... that is really a rare event !
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:15 am

Eija and I watched the ARTE program via satellite. Just like Henning wrote, it was only 8 minutes. They used footage from Lorca’s Because Of video, Ladies and Gentlemen film, and Lian’s film (obviously they had got last minute permission), some seconds from Mt Baldy and some previously seen interview clippings with Leonard. The program was about Leonard’s new book and the new film, not about the Event.

Six hours of film material from the Event was shrinking to less than a minute in total: they showed shortly Wendy (filmed outdoors, this was the longest sequence from the Event), some seconds of Friedemann with Julien (also outdoors), and from the Friday concert some seconds of the following: Ann, Wendy, and Jan Erik.

They didn’t use interview material from the Event at all, but a big fan conference recently in Berlin was mentioned.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:51 am

We go for love, not fame-he, he!

And thank G-d for that!

Joe
schmedler

Post by schmedler » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:19 am

henning & jarkko,

thanks for the info on that :o) it's a good thing i decided to attend the event myself then, isn't it?!

can't wait....for 2008!
laura
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:23 am

can't wait....for 2008!
Good slogan, Laura :) .

~ Lizzy

Return to “News”