Katrina

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:59 pm

Sitting here from approximately 7:00 AM to nearly 11:00 AM, it's time I get on with my day.

I'll talk more with you later, Joe. Thanks for the Labor Day wishes ~ mine will be spent in the most literal sense, only the arena, being honoured with the holiday, will differ.

~ Lizzy
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:24 pm

I will not buy a gun to protect my family. I demand the governments respect the Constitutions, this documents with so nice words. It gives disgust, and fear, to see as so liberal systems can finish in so chaotic situations because the minimal resources have not been anticipate to preserve the safety and the dignity of the people, specially the poor people. Let's act politically against these governments.

(For every person who lives these hard moments: courage. Let's wait for a better world, let's not stop dreaming. My best wishes, my wish for your smile :) )
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:15 pm

Have a look on this very interesting link :

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/ ... index.html
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:23 pm

There is much anger regarding the stoppage of assistance because some rescuers were being shot at ~ one person being interviewed termed it "the big boogey man," describing the excuse that was used for not continuing. In Iraq and VietNam and other conflicts, the rescuers are under almost perpetual fire. They do not back off, much less stop. This is where the National Guard could have been assigned to lead the workers in ~ period ~ just like they would in any war-torn, rescue operation.

[Tchocolatl ~ I stopped to write this, as I'm reading the article that you linked, written in October, 2004. As you said, very interesting.]

This is also a very relevant paragraph. It relates, also to denied, additional funding, for rebuilding those barrier islands, the natural protection that used to exist for that area.
Yet just as the risks of a killer storm are rising, the city's natural defenses are quietly melting away. From the Mississippi border to the Texas state line, Louisiana is losing its protective fringe of marshes and barrier islands faster than any place in the U.S. Since the 1930s some 1,900 square miles (4,900 square kilometers) of coastal wetlands—a swath nearly the size of Delaware or almost twice that of Luxembourg—have vanished beneath the Gulf of Mexico. Despite nearly half a billion dollars spent over the past decade to stem the tide, the state continues to lose about 25 square miles (65 square kilometers) of land each year, roughly one acre every 33 minutes.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:44 pm

Well, not finding the link regarding Fats Domino, so if this is redundant, just pass it by. In an interview I heard yesterday, a man who appeared on Nightline, posed the question of where is Fats Domino, as he knew [being a friend of a close, woman friend of Fats] that Fats was staying, despite many trying to talk him into leaving. Apparently, his wife has ridden out many storms in the past, without him, and significantly complained about it. He was somewhere else performing or whatever. So, this time he stayed, despite all the warnings.

Water filled his house to the roof, and he and some others there sought refuge on a second-story balcony as the water filled the first and second floors [obviously before it reached roof level]. Word was put out as to where was he, and those who knew where he lived arranged for boat rescue to go there; they found him; and those people were evacuated. They took him to the Superdome. The point was made that he didn't need ID for people to soon know it was him. Air rescue was arranged for him to be transported out of there to somewhere totally safe and secure. That's where he remains [can't recall where exactly it was]. The person being interviewed said he knows a cheer went up when Fats was saved out of potential harm, as he is such a prominent figure, historically and still, in the music scene of New Orleans.

[One point on this ~ as absolutely Blueberry Hill Thrilled I am about his rescue, it remains that air transport was arranged for evacuation of a prominent figure. Priorities. He's Black, so that certainly didn't enter in. However, he's not poor and he has 'standing' ~ that did.]

Harry Connick, Jr. managed to get into New Orleans and walk amongst the people awaiting evacuation. Enough said.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:56 pm

Be it that he takes the place of 2 or 3 persons also.

For me I never believed it was racism, just an ordinary don't care for people care for the economy politic like another.

The fact that poor people are more likely to have problems than others, and the fact that there is many poor people in this state and the fact that many poor people are blacks in this state, well, that does not change a thing about this.

Bush does not care for Cindy.

He did not care for people, whatever, like Ln stressed it, if they are orange or cinnamon or this or that. He did not care for the dead during 9/11 he took their death as a pretext to do the war to Iraq.

Anyway.

Speaking geography again, it is normal that nature changes all the time.

Many people don't want to return there.

The real problem again - don't lynch me people - is the environment and what we are doing.

Cheers, I have to fly now..... :wink:
Paula

Post by Paula » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:31 pm

I don't think it was racism either Tchoc - it is being poor that is the crime! It really pisses me off people who play the race card but that is gonna happen big time now its already started.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:34 pm

Hi Paula ~

The level of integration you see in London is not the same as you see in the U.S., particularly the South. It may piss you off, but it's as much a factor as being poor is in this. Unfortunately, it's not the race card, but the race reality.

~ Lizzy
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:49 pm

Is Cindy black Lz? Are all the dead people on 9/11 were black? Are all the poor people that can not afford health insurance in the US black?

In any case the hurricane was not racist for sure.

First.

Second, I was talking about Bush's leadership (but I could have talk about any leadership in the world right now, including ours - In most African countries, as well as in Haiti, rich black leaders don't give a damn (my dear) about the poor people - we don't talk about South America's countries, poor people are worse than animals, there), not about the Deep South's mentality.

Which has, of course - as we all know, a black and white way of seing racists problems.

Third, it is important not to yell that the wolf is there when it is not, because when it is there for real, nobody cares.

There is racisms problems, but there is so many problems, and it is now always "because I'm black".

Paula, yes, to be poor is a crime where the golden calve (as a symbol) is god. When economy is more - and I just mean more, not that it has not a huge importance (it has) - important than people.

But it is likely that things will go worse, indeed, because the majority seems to worship the economy as the only Good, when, in the reality, it is a choice. Human values can be put on the front of the priorities. Mother Teresa said that we can not change the world but we can do a little something each day. I think that this little something a day would change the world, though if the majority would do it. For the environment also. A little action each day. Take care. (now I feel a bit like a preacher!)
lightning

Post by lightning » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:50 am

You can see where the government may be thinking of lessening the Welfare burden by not sending aid and rescue. They may also figure that the valuable sons of this socio-economic group were already off being cannon fodder and hired guns in Iraq. Skin color is not the issue as much as lack of ability to contribute skills, professions and tax money to Uncle Sam.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:03 am

Hi Tchoc ~

No, Cindy's not black, and Cindy didn't need rescuing. Cindy is probably reviled by the Administration, though speech writers give the official responses to her existence a much kinder and gentler turn of phrase. Cindy put a face on the anti-Iraq-war movement and has come to symbolize the growing opposition to that. She is a political liability for Bush.

No, all of the people dead as a result of September 11 were not Black, but they were certainly more Anglo-Saxon in suits than not ~ and they got immediate attention. There were also non-Anglos, but in suits, as well; and in jobs servicing those in suits. With the hurricane, as you said, it was very clear where those huge groups of people were, and they were easy to get to, and even they didn't receive help. I heard on the radio that Wal-Mart drove one of its huge tractor-trailer trucks filled with water to one of the parishes and FEMA turned them away, made them turn around and leave. The politician[?] residing over the parish heavily wept and said, "Why are you doing this!?! You're killing us!" Wal-Mart is one of those huge corporations that you were hoping would kick in on this.

Both poor white and blacks cannot afford insurance. Unless their job provides it, many above the poverty level can't afford it, either. Racism is not the only problem in this country of ours.

The hurricane itself was certainly not racist in nature. However, the lack of response to it was both racist and elitest. It's not as you and some others are thinking. It's a double-pronged issue, with both racism and elitism at work. I included both when I first mentioned those issues when I first started seeing people screaming for help that just wasn't coming.

You're right that in countries like Africa and Haiti, where almost everyone ~ if not all ~ is black, the issue is economics. Corruption related to money plays a part. What countries are most involved in that corruption, where souls are bought and sold, and the people pay the price?

You're right about the wolf. My vision could be skewed by my having lived in this area for almost 15 years, and seeing the far more subtle forms of racism, the ones that wear the pretty face and don't use the "N" word. But, it's still there.

You're also right that some blacks do, as Paula said, "play the race card." I've seen that, too.....where race very clearly had nothing to do with something. It is aggravating, but I've seen more instances where race was at hand, whether anyone was playing the card or not. This is an area that I would love to find out I'm wrong on. I mentioned, in equal measure, race and poverty, when I initially brought them up in the thread where I was keeping an account of the hurricane's coming and passing and all that followed.

~ Lizzy
Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:26 pm

Just a thought but perhaps the Government did perceive New Orleans to be a carbuncle on the face of America and are not too unhappy that it has now been lanced and perhaps in the corridors of the White House there is a little sadness that the “pus” is still oozing out.
lightning

Post by lightning » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:56 pm

What was draining was the tax money that could be spent on bombs, bullets and graft. Welfare, medicaid, old age assistance, housing projects, jails and jailors, etc. The poor cost the rich a lot.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:39 pm

lightning wrote:Skin color is not the issue as much as lack of ability to contribute skills, professions and tax money to Uncle Sam.
I tend to think this way. After all, Bush Administration choosed Condalisa Rice as National Security Advisor. I know they have to show a politically correct face, and I know this is just, sometimes, a kind of mask to hide the fact that women and blacks are still among the poorest persons in US, but no truly racist and sexist government would have done this.

However, Lz, I know, I know too much about racism and sexism and social class problems that goes too often under cover. Too often. This is why it is so chocking to me when it is used as a false alarm in dishonest manners.

Of course I was joking about the hurricane being not racist. Now I still don't think Bush did not move because the colour but because this government is caring more for the economy than for people. Like so many governments in the world whatever colour, race, religion, etc. US are not worst than others, just more powerful and always under the spots.

Now that some other authorithies in the South did it... well... it is heart breaking, but it is a possibility that is no sci fi.

I see Cindy as a person. A person Bush does not want to take into account like the rest of people.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:06 am

Hi Tchoc ~

I read in the newspaper last night that the officers will be sent to either Las Vegas or Atlanta for their respite. Mental health counseling will also be provided. Atlanta balances it out a bit and makes me feel better. I was very glad to see the mental health counseling specifically mentioned.

~ Lizzy

Return to “News”