Katrina

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Linda

Post by Linda »

http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/news ... rican.html

To read, or listen to his original broadcast go to the bottom of the page and click on: See script of original broadcast.

Almost forty years ago!
This is an interesting website.
Linda
lizzytysh

New Orleans Beneath Sea Level

Post by lizzytysh »

I finally found the "Science Friday" segment I've been looking for. It comes under the program "Talk of the Nation" and this one was on September 9. It's very informative and illuminating regarding, "Why would anyone build a city below sea level?" I hope people will listen to this, as it answers many questions.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4839128

The blurb for it says:

September 9, 2005 · Environmental writer Mike Tidwell discusses the natural history of New Orleans and its environs.

Mike Tidwell, author of Bayou Farewell: The Rich Life and Tragic Death of Louisiana's Cajun Coast
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

As all of us saw on television, there is also some deep, persistent poverty in this region as well. And that poverty has roots in a history of racial discrimination, which cut off generations from the opportunity of America."
- President George W. Bush
September 15, 2005
Can't fix a problem until you recognize there is one and acknowledge what it is. As children say in the game of "Hide and Go Seek" ~ You're getting warm.

As one commentator said, "It's really hard to divorce the two, when the blacks in America are so disproportionately poor."
"We have a duty to confront this poverty with bold action."
- President George W. Bush
September 15, 2005
Like first saving the lives of those directly impacted? You're getting hot; but turned cold.
Boss

Post by Boss »

Dear Linda,

G-d dwelled in Hurricane Katrina. She was a hurricane outside of human control. Nature causes such cataclysmic events. They have occurred since Earth was born four and a half billion years ago. And these events indiscriminately kill the innocent. Why? This remains an eternal mystery - one of many.

The G-d we should be seeking is within ourselves. This is where G-d lives - in our hearts. Not something abstract and separate, but inside of us. Our calling is to be more compassionate, more loving? This we can do.

Take care

Boss
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I tried St. Squidgy's phone number again tonight, and this time got an answering machine/voice mail ~ that repeated the number ~ and left a message. I still haven't heard back from the other number, where I've now left four messages. Ironically, tonight, as well, the Bureau for Missing Adults [apparently, an offshoot of the Bureau for Missing Children ~ whose number was posted because they're a 24/7 operation] called and woke me about 10:15 PM [so I'm up now, for a few minutes] ~ and, since I'd earlier left a message on Squidgy's phone, I said, "Is THIS SQUIDGY!?!" The woman said no and identified herself. She was just following up to see if anyone had heard anything from Squidgy. She gave me her case number and asked me to call after I'd heard something, so they could close it. She said electric had only come back on in that area a couple days ago, and that some people aren't back home yet from having evacuated.

We had a good conversation, in general about the hurricane mentality of the "tough folks in that area." She said for many people in those areas, where they live is the only home they've ever known, and the thought of leaving and going into the unknown is much scarier to them than staying. She used to be a police officer, and said the older she gets, the more she understands that kind of thinking. She had one call, where she finally reached an elderly woman and said, "So, you're the missing person." The woman replied, "I'm not missing, honey; I'm right here." She and her husband, and two other couples had remained and weathered the storm. She had no idea so many people [others had entered her name, as well] were concerned and wondering about her. The Bureau woman said that one family had members scattered to five, different states. I thanked her for following up with me on Squidgy, and assured her I'll be contacting them, as soon as I know anything.

Hopefully, one of you, Joe and Greg, will hear from or about her before I do [as it should be, since I've never really interacted with her], but I'll let you know as soon as I know anything for sure.

~ Lizzy
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie »

Heave ho.. another three years to go. It's going to take generations to get out of the mess our esteemed commader in chief has created for us.

Clinton launches withering attack on Bush on Iraq, Katrina, budget - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050918/ts ... raqeconomy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes. And what IF :idea: they all decide to pull their funding!?! Bankrupt U.S. goes under? Not "Down Under," either. They're pretty fed up with what they're seeing, too.

I'm glad to see Clinton being critical. I was disappointed at his seemingly glad-handing regarding Bush's handling of Katrina. These views are now much more in perspective.

After the world has watched, as first hand as possible, the handling of the homeland, security results of Katrina; perhaps, doubters can better understand how the words "collateral damage" fall so easily, dripping like tobacco-stained saliva, from Bush's, and his administrative/military cronies', sardonic mouths.
Young dr. Freud

Post by Young dr. Freud »

I've got a news flash for you Lizzy....the working poor in this country (of which I am a proud member) are not buying all of your and the media's fulminations. We know the score. The problem is you and others like you in the bureaucratic and chattering clasess don't really know any poor people. You may think you do...when you're doing your once yearly "lets clean out the closets and dump the contents on the Salvation Army" feel-good moment. The working poor despise the mentality of those who have been conditioned (by people like you) to nurse from the government teat all of their lives. That was the big problem in New Orleans and that is the BIG problem in the rest of the country. No Self-Reliance.

What you are hearing on NPR is not what people are saying around their kitchen tables.

YdF
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Boss ~

Well, now I need to correct myself the other direction. The comment made in the last report was, "Halliburton is already on the ground," in the same discussion where they were talking about how the developers are poising themselves for 'land grabbing,' to carve out the new New Orleans to benefit the rich.

He made the point that the 'polls' being taken at the huge shelters, wherein many people are reportedly saying they do not want to return, should be strongly questioned. The person speaking has been to those shelters himself, and reports that most of the people, who he made it a point to speak with, do want to return. It's where their lives, their friends, their sense of community and belonging were.

[By the way ~ just my opinion. I agree with your call for compassion, with Linda, above; or, at least the way she sounded with what she said. Still, she appears to be actively involved in actually doing something for those people. The churches and private organizations are apparently where the lion's share of help has been coming from. The group of veterinarians working to assist the animals said that FEMA's presence and actions have actually been more of a hindrance than a help in regard to helping the animals ~ what the vets are qualified for and went there to do.

Anyway, when it comes to directing someone where they need to look for G~d, I can't agree with that. G~d is all around ~ externally and internally, everywhere. Everyone has a right to look for G~d wherever they choose. Others have a right to not look for G~d at all, as they either don't believe in G~d's existence, or at least question it. However, compassion regarding all of this is certainly appropriate. I know you don't need my 'defense' on this, Linda, so that's not my intent; it's just how I really feel about it.]

To answer your question, Linda. Whether the number of deaths and extent of damage 'predicted' bore out to be true or not is merely academic to me. When you have a city the size of New Orleans, with the huge numbers who were unable to leave, and the city floods with water, who knows how to predict? It doesn't make the outcome any less a tragedy. The handling of those who were 'rescued' is reason enough to consider it a tragedy.

No 'news flash' needed, YdF. The working poor, of which you're a proud member? You presume to know so much about me and my income, and who I know and don't know?

I have no doubt that a number of nationwide Republicans [or shall we just say Bush supporters], sitting around their kitchen tables, talking and listening to Rush Limbaugh, are having the nature of conversations that you speak of. However, even some of the Republicans agree with what I've said and will continue to say. Your "newsflash" has no bearing.

~ Lizzy
Young dr. Freud

Post by Young dr. Freud »

The kitchen tables I am referring to do not belong to Republicans or Democrats. The kitchen tables belong to those who don't get checks in the mail everytime they have a baby. They belong to those who work two or three low-paying jobs instead of opting to having the government send them the rent money. These kitchen tables belong to those who are taxed one-fourth of their income to maintain the social/bureaucratic complex in which you make your living. These kitchen tables belong to men who are actually taking care of their off-spring and who are there to help the mothers of their children when a hurricane threatens.

You are living in a dream world where no one is ever responsible for their own lives or their own problems. But that's O.K. because you get to blather on and on and on about your wonderful compassion.

YdF
Boss

Post by Boss »

Without compassion we are dead YdF. We are nothing.

Lizzy - I agree one can look for G-d in any place they choose, however to 'know' G-d in your soul has to be the pinnacle of existence. Afterall, we are all 'G-d beings'!

Sincerely,

Boss
Nan

Post by Nan »

I believe in compassion. But Young Dr. Freud is right. My co-workers at first were full of sympathy for those in New Orleans. But right now we are beginning to have a reaction. Everyone in New Orleans complaining about what the Government owes them. It's true, if you spend your life letting everyone take care of you, when an emergency comes, you can't think or fend for yourself. No sense of responsibility for yourself or your family. Where were the men of these families? By the way, I can't stand Rush Limbaugh. But I am at that kitchen table Young Dr. Freud is talking about. WE are sick of the whining.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Without compassion we are dead YdF. We are nothing.
I agree with this, Boss.

~ Lizzy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Still no answer at St. Squidgy's number, but still getting the answering machine. I tried this morning, before coming to work, just in case I might catch her before she left the house. It would've been between 4 and 5 AM there, so that should've done it.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Nan,

As you know, I'm no fan of Bush, but I happen to agree with you, YDF and your co-workers. Many of the problems that people in general face, and it appears that a certain segment of those who are challenging Bush's handling of the aftermath of Katrina, involve adopting a "victim" mentality that rests simply on the expectation of entitlements. Now, it is obvious that bad things happen to good people and help is needed especially in this case, but it is important that this help come in a form that allows the individual to make choices and contribute through their own efforts rather than taking a passive stance that then engenders an attitude that makes one say to oneself-"poor me, the government did something for me but it wasn't enough."

If I can give you two examples, perhaps I can make my position a bit more clear. To me, one of the many failures of Lyndon Johnson's great society programs was the urban housing projects that were intended to provide adequate housing for the poor at a low cost to them that instead turned them into the urban ghettos that still haunt many of our city centers. Contrast this with programs such as Habitat For Humanity that provide materials and labor for a home as long as the participants contribute a share of the labor and a committment to an affordable mortgage for a portion of the building materials.

Another example from here in Wisconsin, is the change in many of the laws that governed the administration of the welfare program. Prior to the change, many on welfare were given a stipend that had conditions attached that often prevented a single mother from working outside of the home. The important step in making the program more effective was in focusing on a career training element in addition to the support that welfare provides. This program was more expensive than the previous program, and the results are still not crystal clear, but it appears that there have been many success stories of reducing the welfare rolls. This was accomplished under a Republican governor who had campaigned on a pledge of less government spending.

This, however, highlights the problem that Bush faces and part of the criticism that Clinton has leveled at him. Bush campaigned on a tax cut/less government spending program, but between the war in Iraq and the even higher costs that this type of an approach will take in those areas devasted by Katrina, the federal deficit is growing astronomically and for the first time we are having to rely more on foreign debt.

It is an enormously complex problem, but it is one that highlights Bush's lack of leadership and short-sightedness. It is my fear that Bush will be out of office by the time that we have to start seriously addressing many of the fundamental flaws that his administration has inflicted on our fiscal condition.

Joe

P. S. Lizzy, we're all still hoping that Squidgy is ok.

Return to “News”