"Leonard Cohen I'm Your Man" film

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:wink: I was just going with what you said on Hydra, when you declined to join us in going to see his house, Anne; saying you weren't going to stalk him. We said, "We're just going to see his house :shock: :? ." I don't think you could stalk a house, could you?

Meanwhile, I've seen some really good lentil soup recipes, lately, since its arisen as a topic here.

I wouldn't do stalking well, either; though, I think I'd make a fair detective.
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

After supper at Le Papillon, worked there, take him to the Horseshoe, or Grossmans. Then in the morning take him for breakfast/brunch at The Bagel, if you are too late for brunch go to the Goof in the Beaches for North American Chinese, good hangover food. I haven't been to TO since '98, left in 1992. These places I am sure have changed, if they still exist.
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
margaret

Post by margaret »

I would have liked to go to the Festival in Toronto, visited there for a week in 1998, but sadly couldn't afford to do a last minute trip there now. I have consoled myself with a super cheap flight to Paris (France) instead for 4 days :wink: I will however be thinking about you lucky people in Toronto, and hope the film goes to dvd very soon.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You folks in the 'European hemisphere' travel like it's nothing :mrgreen: !
Are the Toronto Film Festivals held annually? [I believe they are, but that won't help me as far as this year's concerned :( .]
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

It is every year. http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/2005/home.asp I can't imagine how people choose the films they wan to see. It would be a good time.
Cheers & DLight
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

If only I would know for sure that he is happy with him being back on Boogie Street (and it is not a case of "I swept the marble chambers but you sent me down below") I would find all this terrific.

While you are there, I heard that La Neuvaine is really great. "A masterful and profoundly moving exploration of personal faith, especially when challenged by loss and death." Very LC's themes, those, loss and death. BE is an anthropologist and his fiction is always, you know, in touch with real people.

P.S. : Margaret, sounds great! Four days in Paris an a DVD of the man. Anytime.
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 »

I work in film distribution and have been attending Toronto International Film Festival for the past 13 years. This documentary already has a distributor: Lions Gate Films. It is scheduled for release in U.S. in October. I don't know when it will be shown in the rest of the world - but I'm sure it will. I can't wait to see it - will go to the"press and Industry" screening.
(I also lived on Hydra off and on for 3 years (1973-1976)and I've visited there every 1-2 years since)
Jazz
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

Good to hear fro you Jazz. I hope we can get it into our festival, if not we show films at the University Monday nights.
The NB Film Co-op presents the Fredericton Monday Night Film Series. The series partners are the Film Circuit, a division of the Toronto International Film Festival and the UNB Faculty of Arts.
So far this year they have SAINT RALPH, MURDERBALL, MY SUMMER OF LOVE, of course the choices increase after the film festival, we should be able to get the doc on Leonard Cohen, crossed fingers we were able to get What Remains of Us last Year. Who do you work for? HYPNOTIC??? :) I;m a member of the New Brunswick Filmmakers Co-op. http://www.nbfilmcoop.com/
will go to the"press and Industry" screening
looking forward to hearing from you after this.
Cheers & DLight
jazz4111

Toronto FF

Post by jazz4111 »

I work for Regent Entertainment (Gods & Monsters) and their gay and Lesbian TV network: here! Films and TV
I have been doing acquisitions for 15 years for various companies. The best film I ever acquired was "Antonia's Line" which won Best Foreign Academy Award in 1996. At that time I worked forFirst Look Pictures.
Jazz
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

I will look for Antonia's Line on IFC? We have crap video stores here Jesus of Montreal is in the foreign film section :? . My favourite foreign films are The Acid House and Babette's Feast. Best action film Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, http://www.odessafilmworks.com/jcvh/ I love independant films.
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

The film is not being shown at the Atlantic Film Fesatival afterall. Jazz I will never undersatnd film distribution :shock: Maybe it is not there because they want to give it a Canadian premier in Toronto? I can understand that.
A short film I did continuity on is being shown, Blowies it is a comedy about the Canadian syncronized snow blowing team. http://www.herenb.com/saintjohn/issues/0608/cover.html near the bottom. A film by another co-op member is being shown, Gretchen Kelbah, I know I spelled her name wrong, hers is feature length. She recieved permission to use a Leonard Cohen poem and song in her film. :mrgreen: I was gob smacked when she told me about this. I'm going to make her show me the contract!! :D
Cheers & DLight
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome to the Forum, Jazz :D . Every one to two years sounds like the ideal pattern for returning to visit Hydra. You were originally there during very interesting and unique times.

When you say "this film," are you referring to the one about Leonard or La Neuvaine. It seems your comment could be in either direction.

~ Lizzytysh
lightning

Post by lightning »

It will be shown on the Sundance channel next year and we will be able to record it
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 »

Lizzietish - I was referring to the Leonard doc: "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man." Toronto is also showing an older doc.: "Ladies and Gentleman: Mr. Leonard Cohen."
I've put both in my screening schedule. Since I get an "industry" pass- I get to go to all the Press and Industry screenings -I've seen so many good movies that way.
And when you say the time I lived on Hydra (1973-1976) was "unique and interesting" believe me - that's an undertatement! It was like Paris in the 30's - San Francisco in the 60's - it was magic.
Jazz
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And when you say the time I lived on Hydra (1973-1976) was "unique and interesting" believe me - that's an undertatement! It was like Paris in the 30's - San Francisco in the 60's - it was magic.
Yes.....I believe it. I can even almost imagine it. I know the magic I felt. Yet, it's still so much better hearing these dynamic comparisons from you :D !

You've been in a privileged position with your access to films. As the Brits would say, good on you :D . I can see that you truly appreciate it.

~ Lizzy

Return to “News”