Explosions in London

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
bee

Post by bee » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:01 am

Stranger- don't worry about the threads-as the Old Book says-the spirit goes where the wind blows. I know it could be annoying to someone who wants to check out things in particular, but is it goes, on subject leads to another. I never go to more than 2 threads, except that I like to check out the poetry thread. Anyway, I think I did interrupt intended political thread, hope you don't mind too much.
bee
bee

Post by bee » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:55 am

Tri-
meWe all hope to go fast and without pain. We all wish that we would die of natural causes. We have no control over this, I guess this is why it is so important to appreciate the moment, and to learn that all we experience is a projection of ourselves. Sorry to sound preachy, I deal with critically ill people in my practice and am learning to appreciate this time of their lives.
Tre- me - Thank you very much for your gentle and caring post-was a great comfort to me.
What was most disturbing to me, if not disturbing, then something what I felt with Isabella even before this final state, how sad she feels to depart, how lonely she feels in her approaching death, even if she has a husband and children and grandchildren who adore her?
She feels like everybody is discounting her as something useless or somebody who needs to go, and she herself cant feel or see any sense, justice or reason for that. I have to admit, that I was sharing that feeling with her, and this is what hurt me the most-because she was spiritually and mentally more alive than any of them, if not all of them together.

When I asked her, if she was afraid, there was sort of pain in her eyes, and she said -- "if only I was certain where I am to go." "Sure, I am tired," she said, "sure I don't like to be a burden on anybody, but if I knew what is there, I would go now, in this moment."
My feeling was that life was so very precious in the very moment-the way she touched the collar on her nightgown, how she looked at the little flower I gave her, at every shade of the color, shape, how she looked into my eyes.
Life is so strong, the force of life is so strong, to depart from all that because something in your body eats you up-seemed so horribly unfair to me, even it is not the right word-unfair, it says nothing.
I know, we are to accept that-this earthly life is a pilgrimage, but who wants it to be ended? The beauty of life is unbearable sometimes, perhaps even more if it has been taken away.
How hard it is to have this transformation with dignity, when you are fully aware of what is going to happen to your body, your fingers, your feet, your eyes, all of you, such gentle and beautiful parts of you going back to earth, to dirt, to the Whole.
I am just very furious about it all, same time I know that it is the way and there is nothing to be furious about, it has to be.
Tre-me, thank you very much for your support.
Love,
bee
bee

Post by bee » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:29 am

Elizabeth-you made me cry-thank you. But you know-we live in between worlds-the sky is my hat, the earth is my shoe!
Love,
bee
bee

Post by bee » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:22 pm

Steven, thank you friend! I am doing that, I am working now. I will do everything right and good, the best I possible can.
Steven, I really think the distance is required to understand art, same goes for politics and history.
We don't see the consequences of present makings, it'll go far in time when all of us will be long gone. What is happening now is hard to grasp for us-living now, because it comes from far away, from times before us? If vision of the future could make us aware of the present-we would reach the golden age.
( As Kush said it on an other thread,- at particular times governments made it's decisions which felt fit at those times, is so hard to make any judgment on that, because we are caught in the present, we have the minds of present, we don't know the past really.)
I can sign below your statement, it is how I feel about it too.
Love,
bee
Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:06 pm

Well three of the bombers have been named and they are British born suicide bombers.

Nice web site has sprung up!!!

http://www.werenotafraid.com/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:11 pm

Hi Paula ~

I was hearing this morning that all 4 had been determined; likewise, all British born. I'll check out that site. What I feel still holds true regarding the multi-ethnicity of London being a wonderful thing.

I just went to the site. It's good to see Londoners taking action like that, delivering their messages personally. It helps to solidify their feelings. In Gallery 50, last one on the right of the second row down ~ I wish he didn't have his face partially covered.

~ Lizzie
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:14 am

Boss, :D Have you been a little less self centered (no offense, I hope) you would have known that I am a fan of the hippie epoc too - how much I would like to have been a hippie during the psychedelic light hippie time - and that was the reason for the Love. Peace man. :D Also I was also, like you worried I-know-they-can-do-it style, 'cause I was not so sure. Now I know. I know they are doing it. Cool. :wink: I think that even if some of them turned into sleepy fat cats, (do they really did?) the seeds grew : they really changed the word, the children of Aquarius, by opening the counciouness. Well. For now this is what I believe. Interesting Blog, Sir, on the other hand.

Bee, I'm very touched by what you and your friend are going through right now. Those are hard times, in any case. I had the feeling that Dear Heather was touching to this subject, and was delivering a serenity that goes over the pain, but never denying it. A great respect for this passage of life. Rare are the artits who are exploring this area of our inner spaces. I know that you don't like DH, so I won't go further. But for me, it helped.

I wish you and your friend to be comforted in some way or another. This is difficult to make sense out of this, so finding comfort helps to live these times. Warm thought, Bee.

Paula : brain wash. This is the terrorist arm par excellence. I heard that there was a "hatred Alarm" in Great Britain, following these news. Thanks G_d. Things could not be so bad unless hatred would take the ground. This is what began the crazy business on WWII. Hold on! Courage!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:54 pm

:roll: What can I add now? How distressing this must be these last events. Better rolls you bicycles, London. I don't know what to do, I don't know what to say, so I bring another war poem from the Englishman Keith Barnes, as poetry is where I recharge my piles, as many are doing it, in hope it will be of some good.

Public places

I imagine it all ends as it began
in echo-white carbolic corridors
of scrubbed-board sparse-seated public waiting places
where there's no protecting corner or a warmth
from eye or hand or anything so physical
as though to be of flesh were crime itself

Nowhere to creep and hide to make the nest
essential to all human sanity
On call to clack-boot surname uniform
On call to typed lists serge with buttons on
On call to realize one never did belong
to oneself as one had thought but to society
That one is bought in bulk - bone brawn and brain
outright and put on trial for uncommitted crime

Born guilty born to shiver bred for punishment
for judgment by those public eyes which glared
El Greco Artaud Van Gogh to confinement
condemned by those soaring minds which visualized
and built the average clinic poorhouse looney-bin
the barrack courtroom and the prison cell
the immigration bureau railroad termini

And you wonder why I've always felt unsocial

I imagine I fear it ends as it began
with the individual stripped of all the eyes can
find in him which does not toe their straight white line
The beauties of his natural lust castrated
allowed the wind a spoon a chipped white mug
to clout in isolated corridors
with tiles so clean they cannot hear
echoes

http://www.keith-barnes.com/
Paula

Post by Paula » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:44 pm

Hi anyone who is thinking of coming to London. It is not as bad as it looks in the media. There are millions who live and work in London. I personally would not set foot on the tube at the moment but the buses are fine. At this moment no country is really safe from terrorist attacks and from the outside looking in it always looks like a war zone. Don't put off visiting London because of these bombings the same thing could happen where ever you are. We live in a volatile world at the moment.

I have family who are presently on holiday in Egypt and a bomb has just gone off there and we are still trying to get hold of them to see if they are OK. It is everywhere.
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:23 pm

Thank you Paula for the link to were not afraid, man powerful stuff.

You are going through alot of stuff these days. I really feel for your friend, it is really incredible what happens to relationships at different stages of our lives. My grandmother, who was a war bride from Smarden Kent, was in the hospital for 7 months before she died. Her best friend, and many others, did not visit her in the hospital. The common excuse was that they wanted to remember her how she was. She was 71 and her friends were forced to look at their own mortality which in turn made it difficult to go see her. I felt that they were being selfish, but now can see that we are ill prepared for death. It is a very difficult thing to do. I am not trying to be morbid but it is the ultimate in letting go. Betty fought hard for 7 months. My roommate at the time was the Doctor who admitted her. She told me that her lungs were so filled with cancer she would not be long. She amazed everyone, she was afraid. Her boyfriend died 3 months before her across the hall, he wanted to go before her. He had had a kidney removed the previous year from cancer, the death of his 50 something daughter and pending death of Betty made him go downhill very fast What a time.

One thing that came to me from Judith's book is the perspective of the dying person having to say goodbye to everyone. Imagine saying goodbye to a friend you will never see again, they have to do this with everyone. Being an army brat that moved every three years, this observation really touched me.

Be well Paula, and everyone else, I would go to London in a minute if I could. The terrorists want everyone to be scared, thanks for the site.
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:02 am

Paula, don't worry too much for the tourism industry : after September 11 there was a vacuum of tourist and business trips in New-York right after the event, but soon it was the contrary and the tradionnal New Year Eve was more crowded then ever.

Besides, the definition of courage is to act in spite of fear. I would be puzzled in front of someone who would tell me she/his not feared of terrorism, or of any sort of violence, really, I would have doubts about her/his sanity. However, I don't think it is quite right to be ruled by violence and fear. I don,t think it is in the human nature also, 'cause it never works.

So true, bombs are exploding everyday in some/different/many countries. Tsunami or other natural desasters can happen. Or one could be hit on the corner of two streets while waiting for the green light or the other one could slip on a soap bar and fall in its bathtub and... good-bye.. in the "safety" of her/his home. :roll: To be alive is a risky business. Anything can happen anytime.

I'm sure people can do the difference between prudence and cowardice.
dar

Post by dar » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:32 am

Just wanted to comment on Bee's thoughts regarding her dying friend.
I hope it doesn't upset you more Bee, but very few of us will ever be able to say goodbye or be as involved with our passing as your friend is, with your help. You are giving her a great gift by understanding how important this time is to her. I don't think it's morbid at all to plan your death in such detail and to be able to know how things will be when others salute your memory. I know you are struggling with how to get through this, but what a wonderful thing you are doing for your friend. Stay strong and she is blessed to have you to help her in this way.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:58 am

Dear Paula ~

I hope by the time I've read your post, and have written this, that you will have heard from your family members visiting in Egypt.

Love,
Elizabeth
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:15 am

Yep! I hope too and I hope everything is fine. Thought those thoughts were obvious in my previous post, but reading Lz's post I realized it was not, and can even look unsensitive which was not meant to be.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:11 am

Hi Paula,

Yes. It is everywhere. Thankfully, nothing major has happened in Canada, but people think of it. Of course, those in the U.S. have to live with the fear, and you in England, must live like this - one really doesn't want to give into the fear, but it must niggle you all.

I too, hope all is well with your family in Egypt. And I hope with all my heart that you in London have seen the last of these cowardly bombings.

Linda.

Return to “News”