Explosions in London

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:21 am

Gee, thanks Tom!!! Just as I was typing out my little message of peace and love, and then quietly go away, you leave a message!!!

Linda.
Boss

Post by Boss » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:50 pm

Every movement be it in ancient Greece or Rome, or the British empire contained elements of evil. This is what we need to establish. They were evil for the fact they degraded, abused and tortured Human (and animal) Life. This is sacrelige. There is no honour spoiling yourself on the back of another. And Linda, it cannot "go on forever". I may have used the United Kingdom as an example but the ball now lays in the United States court. They are the empire. So much power in so few hands - that's dangerous. Mr. Bush, I don't know you, but if by chance you read my little address, please listen.

"G-d has put it in your hands to be here in this juncture of history. I know you must be tough, but when you deliberate, just before nodding off to sleep, can you imagine a man in an asylum lighting cigarette butts then laughing to himself. Aching for someone to hold him, to get out of his pyjamas, to stop his head spinning from the chlorpromazine they pump into his body. His woman has left. Laid an intervention order on him, his car is cheap, and he's scared Mr. Bush of the other patients, of the outside world, of how they take his blood for his lithium test. Think of him as you doze off. Of your good fortune. Of how we all could do so much more to help this world's plunge into materialism and greed. Mr. Bush, G-d knows you, G-d knows me. Take care, but you must change. For you, for me, for Life. I was that man and I still know him"

We can change - Live 8 was proof. We can lift this old rug of a world and give it a good shake out. Heaven is here yet men do not see it.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:42 pm

You told it, Boss.

Nobody seems to see nothing.

Strange.

How do you explain this?

For me, I don't. I'll take the suggestion of Jurica and wait a couple of years or more to understand the understandings in this thread.
Boss

Post by Boss » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:39 am

In the end it comes down to priorities Tchocolati, priorities. If you want to build nuclear bombs you will build them, if you want to dismantle them you can do that too. And what determines one's priorities? Meaning. Man needs meaning. In our complex, intricate modern world I think we have forgotten this to an extent. However, we still have vestiges from the past we can learn from. We still have G-d. He is called by many names but He is all about Love. He is the one absolute universal power - before us, now, after us. He is.

We have forgotten it Tchocolati. The essence. We bathe in 'beauty', worship the golden calf, count our dollars. I do it. Erich Fromm wrote a masterful book entitled 'To Have or to Be'. In it he examined two different ways of existing. The first way, to have, was about consumption. It was taking all you could from the corner store, from your wife, from the Amazon Rainforest. It is greed. We are all guilty of that. You feel it suck in at you, your throat tightens, you become miserable. Life is a game, a competition. And the world ends up at nuclear stalemate for 60 years - not very productive for a 'civilised' population. The second way Fromm postulated was very different indeed. It is 'the road less travelled', but it is possible. Consider the hippy movement of the '60's and early '70's. These people wanted peace, to set up communes and live off the land. They grew beards, their hair, and marched against authority. Many simply wished to get closer to the Earth from which they came. Living in the 'being' mode you understand Earth; her rumblings, her ravings. Living in this mode you reach, constantly, for a higher spiritual dimension. You care for your environment, you don't pluck a flower, you admire it, smell its perfume. We can live like this.

The answer is we have to change on a scale not yet known of in history. We have to turn things upside down. We have to dance. Yes we have to dance. We have the will. I know it...
Last edited by Boss on Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:32 am

I Love you Boss. 8)
Boss

Post by Boss » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:51 am

Tchocolati, go to http://jezza70.blogspot.com

Regards Boss
bee

Post by bee » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:10 am

Ah, Tom dear-I'm not up for politics at all. I have this very dear friend, Isabella. She is 80 years old, for years being so healthy and active-swimming every day, doing work for our board etc.She used to be a ballerina. Now she's got cancer and so fast. Yesterday she called me up to visit her-she is at home.
She gave me this list of 110 people who she wants to invite to her funeral. She has already made the arrangements for all the food to be served after the funeral service. She gave me the list of flowers, how she wants the tables to be decorated. I mean-to the smallest detail.
But all of that was OK for me till the time she gave me instructions how she wants her memorial bulletin to be designed- starting with a picture where she is 16, ballerina and with the resent photo, the songs she wants the people to sing and what song the soloist has to sing, than the date of birth and the- to leave the date of her passing still blank, and she wants that to be done till Thursday- then she wants to check it all- how it all looks, and if she would be pleased with that, even if at that time, when the bulletin would come to use, she would be lying in the coffin.
That really freaked me out, so I said-perhaps you would want me to dress you in your funeral dress, you close your eyes and I'll take a photo of that, so you would now for sure how you look, and die in peace? Jeez, I was really crying at that point, and to my already freaky state she added with a most gentle laughter I have ever heard in my life-OK, she said, let's do it on Thursday.
She is very week, I fed her 3 half teaspoons of some sort of soup. I've never seen anyone in my life so completely beautiful-as frail and yellowish, white pale she was, but her smile was that as of a young virgin, her eyes full of light. Something beyond description, freedom and lightness.
As for me- I have to get myself together to do what she wanted, instead I am hanging around LC Forum, I scrubbed my house to abnormally, I drunk almost the whole bottle of tequila, but I still cant collect myself enough to sit at this computer to design the memorial brochure. That is how I am now, believe me Tom-is a sad state.
bee
annaedith

Post by annaedith » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:49 pm

about how to life:
we had a great teacher in our religion lessons who didn't force us to recitate the words of the bible, but gave us advice for life. and he told us about erich fromm. so that is what we learned from him:
to have or to be - that are like you said, boss, opposite ways of living.
to have is the consuming, the money-spending, the short-lasting joy.
to be is experiencing, creating something, and that gives life its sense. it makes a deeper feeling of joy which lasts far longer. you needn't change your complete life to get to this other quality. every day, you can decide several times for the one or the other: why buy a poster if you can paint it on your own? painting it yourself will bring you a nice time and a picture you feel proud every time you look at it. why pay for someone looking after the children? spend time with them, you and your relationship will profit a lot from it. why go in a restaurant or buy take-away-food? homemade food is healthier, and the person you invite will know that you care for him, having spend time for preparation. why watch a film (which is second-hand-experiencing, in fact) when you can as well spend an evening with one or more friends, talking, making a fire outside, walking? why buy gifts for friends who have everything instead of making something for them? the list goes on and on.
and most people today prefer the short-lasting joy.
*********** beauté est partout**********
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:11 pm

Dear Bi ~

It's very good to see the tender, gentle side of you here today. I'm so sorry that it's for such a sad reason. After you make it through this very difficult time, you'll be grateful that you were the one your friend chose. You're doing her a great and final service.

Love,
Elizabeth
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:41 pm

Bee you are so fortunate that your friend feels comfortable enough with you to discuss the details of her death. There is a book called Making Friends With Death by Judith Lief A Buddist Guide to Encountering Mortality. Our man Leonard Cohen narrated a documentary of The Tibetan Book of the Dead.
It is sad to see a friend go, the pain is as intnse as physical pain, but something we all will eventually go through. My grandmother died last February, she lived in Snodland Kent. She fell on Thursday was sent to hospital. She was OK other than the fact that sshe was dehydrated. She was a very liberated and independant woman, a Catholic, she divorced he husband 60 years ago and kept my dad in London with her through the war. Her mom was a suffrogette hung out with Emily Pankhurst....
My Grandmother's doctor said she should go to a nursing care home. A woman, who was like a daughter to her, found a nice tudor home with 20 women in residence. She went there on Monday, the friend went to see her on Wednesday and said she looked great and was in good spirits. On Thursday she had a stroke and died. She was 93 years old. I am so glad that she went swiftly and it seems like it was her decision to go. She said to my dad on the phone that the arrangements for her at the home was temporary. She did not want to admit to her son that she needed help. On another level I think she realized that her last years would be spent in this home, so she checked out.
We all hope to go fast and without pain. We all wish that we would die of natural causes. We have no control over this, I guess this is why it is so important to appreciate the moment, and to learn that all we experience is a projection of ourselves. Sorry to sound preachy, I deal with critically ill people in my practice and am learning to appreciate this time of their lives.
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:01 pm

Tom, "politics is back into the forum" - I sometimes think that the entire forum is about politics. In another thread (it may even have been this one :? ) we briefly talked about how threads seem to go awry, whatever the subject. In a way its fun, because it is a free for all, and everybody can write whatever comes into his/ her mind (like I'm doing right now). The only problem is that there a lot of threads to go through, and it is difficult to keep up with all the thoughts. Therefore I suggest that we do away with all those separate threads and just keep knitting on one.
" ........... if one can describe as serious the confused comedy of our lives". Graham Greene, "The Comedians".
Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:06 pm

:oops: I am sorry that I reacted to a message that was not the (almost) last one... I hadn't seen the last page. Especially embarassing because that last page deals with a subject that is particularly personal and sensitive. Anyway, what is done and written is done and written.
" ........... if one can describe as serious the confused comedy of our lives". Graham Greene, "The Comedians".
Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:01 pm

When it comes to insatiably evil minds that lust after bloodspilling,
dignifying these people by bringing politics into a discussion, is
missing the mark, or worse allowing them to feel a victory and
fueling their murderous drive. There are cultures of hate supported
by schooling and religion and in their malignant nature, they produce
the kinds of people that are not constrained by any political situation
or solutions and they never will. Anything that appears as an
attempt to appease them, only acts as fertilizer to yield more of
what they represent.
Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:15 pm

Bee,

May you complete this arduous task with as much ease as possible.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:57 am

Stranger, I got you message:-) My remark was refering to similar discussions we had while back, after 9-11 and Bush's politics, were Bee was prominent opponent to others :wink:

I am always and again surprised how the happenings of "real" life around us surpass the virtual world. Bee, I can only send my prayings for peace and consolidation.

Return to “News”