Online Discussion of LC's Life & Work

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
holydove

Online Discussion of LC's Life & Work

Post by holydove »

Temple Emanu-El/ Streicker Center, of NYC, is presenting an online discussion of LC's life & work, on Nov 9, 2021, at 7pm EDT, to mark LC's passing 5 yrs ago. The people participating in the discussion will be:

Marcia Pally, author of new book "From This Broken Hill I Sing To You"

Rabbi Dr. Mordecai Finley, allegedly LC's Rabbi for some years, co-founder of Ohr HaTorah Synagogue in L.A. & former provost of Academy of Jewish Religion

Dr. Moshe Halbertal, Israeli philosopher & writer

It's free & since it's online, I imagine anyone from anywhere can register. I imagine it will also be recorded & available in the website's archives for anyone who cannot attend at the time it is live-streamed. Here is the link, where you can see a more detailed description of the program, & register:

https://streicker.nyc/current-season/leonard-cohen
B4real

Re: Online Discussion of LC's Life & Work

Post by B4real »

Hi Rachel, or as Hartmut would say, Mrs. Dove ;-)
I thought I could add the following here instead of starting a new thread.
It isn't the same discussion as above as it's already happened but it seems to have associations with it including Marcia Pally - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUz7-bDgMg

A Conversation on Leonard Cohen: From This Broken Hill I Sing to You
On October 5th 2021, FOLCS celebrated the life and prolific works of Leonard Cohen with Marcia Pally’s new book, "From This Broken Hill I Sing to You." We were joined in conversation by author and professor Marcia Pally, psychologist Carol Gilligan, composer David Amram, and musician Peter Himmelman. Who better to discuss Cohen’s deep well of artistry, emotional, and devotional explorations than this array of masters in each of their diverse fields?

Timed to coincide with the upcoming fifth anniversary of Leonard Cohen's death in November 2016, Marcia Pally’s "From This Broken Hill I Sing to You" follows Leonard Cohen’s faith, love, and frustration through his use of Jewish and Christian imagery, and his writing about sex and politics in his final works. On this special night, David Amram and Peter Himmelman also treated the FOLCS audience to a few exclusive performances in honor of the great musician.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hi Bev (or should we say, Mrs Real?),
Thank you for the link - that was an interesting discussion, & I liked the musical performances too, as well as the musicians' comments/ perspectives (esp David Amram)! I thought Carol Gilligan was pretty funny, esp her diagnosis/ description of Leonard as, well..."a man" (lol)- it's a good thing we have a learned psychologist to give us that very elusive diagnosis :razz:! Anyway, it was fun listening to the various perspectives & I look forward to hearing from Leonard's rabbi, & the others, in the next discussion. Hope all is well with you.

Sincerely,
Mrs Dove
B4real

Post by B4real »

Good to catch up with you, Rachel 8)
Glad you liked that link - I confess I haven't watched it yet!
And things are OK here, thanks for your thoughts!
Speaking of forum names, you know when I first joined here I wanted mine to be Winter Lady because I was born on the first day of winter and as you know, I am a lady ;-) but someone had already taken that name. It wasn't until some time later I realised that I could have used LC's A Winter Lady, copyright released 11 April 1967. Ah well, nevermind :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “News”