Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
HugoD

Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine

Post by HugoD »

Came across this announcement for the film festival in Venice (upcoming September). Its about the premiere of a new LC documentary " Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” by Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine.

Some further info in the link below.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7600742/pl ... =ps6041756
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
jazz4111

Re: Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine

Post by jazz4111 »

One of the executive producers of this documentary is a very good friend, Jonathan Dana. He produced a movie along time ago which was partially shot on Hydra. It starred Charles Dance. Jonathan told me they worked very closely with the Cohen family on this current documentary. The Venice International Film Festival is a very good place for it to premiere (and very difficult to get into - they only screen the best made films)
Jazz
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine

Post by jarkko »

STORY
“There is a religious Hallelujah, but there are many other ones. When one looks at the world, there's only one thing to say, and it's ‘Hallelujah.’ That's the way it is.” -Leonard Cohen

HALLELUJAH: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song is a definitive exploration of singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen as seen through the prism of his internationally renowned hymn, Hallelujah. This feature-length documentary weaves together three creative strands: The songwriter and his times. The song’s dramatic journey from record label reject to chart-topping hit. And moving testimonies from major recording artists for whom Hallelujahhas become a personal touchstone. Approved for production by Leonard Cohen just before his 80th birthday in 2014, the film accesses a wealth of never-before-seen archival materials from the Cohen Trust including Cohen’s personal notebooks, journals and photographs, performance footage and extremely rare audio recordings and interviews.

FILMMAKER
For over twenty-five years, Emmy-award winning directors/producers Geller and Goldfine have jointly created critically-acclaimed multi-character documentary narratives that braid the personal stories of their protagonists to form a larger portrait of the human experience.

Their most recent film, The Galapagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden (2013) had its world premiere at the Telluride Film Festival and its European premiere in Berlin. It opened theatrically to strong critical reviews nationwide in April 2014, has played theaters and festivals internationally, and is now available worldwide on VOD as well as consumer and educational DVD. The San Francisco Chronicle’s Mick LaSalle called it “The most irresistible film so far of 2014.”

Geller and Goldfine’s work also includes: the award-winning Something Ventured (2011), which premiered at SXSW and went on to play festivals and screen internationally, as well as in educational distribution, VOD and consumer DVD release worldwide, and national PBS broadcast in January 2013. Ballets Russes (2005) which was recognised as one of the top five documentaries of 2005 by both the National Society of Film Critics and the National Board of Review and appeared on a dozen critical “10 Best Films” lists, including those of Time Magazine, the Los Angeles Times, the Hollywood Reporter, the San Francisco Chronicle and Slate; Now and Then: From Frosh to Seniors, which premiered theatrically in October 1999 and aired on PBS in October 2000 as the lead program of the Independent Lens series; Kids of Survival: The Art and Life of Tim Rollins + K.O.S. (1996), a feature-length documentary about the South Bronx-based art group Tim Rollins & K.O.S., which aired on Cinemax in September 1998 and was the recipient of two national Emmy Awards; FROSH: Nine Months in a Freshman Dorm (1994); and, the award-winning Isadora Duncan: Movement from the Soul (1988).

Dan Geller and Dayna Goldfine were admitted to the Documentary Branch of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in June 2014.

IN PRODUCTION
Filmmakers: Dan Geller & Dayna Goldfine
Runtime: 116'
Year: 2021
Format: UHD

FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHTS
Venice 2021

CREDITS
Directors: Dan Geller & Dayna Goldfine
Executive Producers: Jonathan Dana, Morgan Neville
Producers: Dan Geller & Dayna Goldfine
Consulting Producers: Alan Light, Celeste Schaefer Snyder
Editor: Dayna Goldfine
Director Of Photography: Dan Geller
Original Score: John Lissauer
Music Producer: Hal Willner
Music Supervisor: Rachel Fox
Thanks to Dayna Goldfine for the information
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Some additional info I found on realscreen.com after Sharon Robinson tweeted about it:

Dogwoof picks up Leonard Cohen documentary for worldwide sales
By Andrew JeffreyJuly 27, 2021

PrintEmailFacebookTwitterLinkedInDeel
UK-based distributor Dogwoof has picked up Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song – set to have its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival — for global sales representation.

The feature documentary is directed by Dan Geller and Dayna Goldfine, and executive produced by Oscar winner Morgan Neville and longtime Geller/Goldfine collaborator Jonathan Dana. The film explores the life of the Canadian poet and singer-songwriter (pictured) through the lens of his most famous song, “Hallelujah.”

“Everyone has their favourite version of ‘Hallelujah,’ whether Jeff Buckley, John Cale, kd lang, Brandi Carlile, or Leonard Cohen’s original, this hymn transcends genres and generations,” said Dogwoof CEO Anna Godas in a news release.

“In the deft hands of Dan and Dayna – using an incredible amount of never-before-seen archive and personal notes from Leonard’s life – we have a real exploration of the genius of Leonard Cohen and the magic of his words.”

The film will premiere out of competition in Venice on Sept. 2.

Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song was approved for production by Cohen just before his 80th birthday in 2014. The film explores Cohen’s song from its origins and its poor initial reception, to its resurrection and influence on other artists as it became one of the most recognized and covered songs.

The film will include interviews with singers such as Rufus Wainwright, Brandi Carlile, Judy Collins, Regina Spektor, Amanda Palmer and Eric Church, among others who have recorded and performed their own versions of “Hallelujah.” Other interviews completed for the documentary include Cohen’s long-time collaborator Sharon Robinson, producer on the original version of the song John Lissauer, record executive Clive Davis and ex-Rolling Stone reporter Larry “Ratso” Sloman who shares never-before-heard tapes of interviews he recorded with Cohen between 1974 and 2005.

The Leonard Cohen Family Trust also made previously unseen personal notebooks, journals and photographs, performance footage and rare audio recordings and interviews available to the filmmakers.

Geller and Goldfine also produced the film. Along with Neville and Dana, Michael Drews and Robin Sagon also serve as executive producers. The documentary was inspired by the book The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley & the Unlikely Ascent of Hallelujah by Alan Light.
stephencharlton

Post by stephencharlton »

Thanks for this info. :)
2008 Manchester
London O2 x3
2009 Berlin
2010 Poland
2012 Belgium
2013 London 02
B4real

Post by B4real »

‘Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song’: First Clip For Venice Film Festival Doc
EXCLUSIVE: Here’s your first clip for Venice Film Festival documentary Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song, which gets its world premiere tomorrow (Sept 2) on the Lido.
https://newsaroundworld.org/2021/09/01/ ... tival-doc/

Plus there is a link to the full film here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JDG0lkcM-Y
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

It's a pity that you have to register first AND leave your creditcard details with them to watch the movie. That;s a nogo for me.
Is there am other way to see this movie without dropping creditcard details online?
B4real

Post by B4real »

HugoD wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:54 pm It's a pity that you have to register first AND leave your creditcard details with them to watch the movie. That;s a nogo for me.
Is there am other way to see this movie without dropping creditcard details online?
Sorry Hugo, I don't know. In my post I just saw there was a link and posted it but didn't click on it to find that out.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

This film is not considered a front runner but is still in the running and really all that is needed is to be in the race :)

Oscars Predictions: Best Documentary Feature
https://variety.com/feature/2022-oscars ... 235072004/
ALSO IN CONTENTION
23 --- Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song --- No U.S. Distribution --- Daniel Geller, Dayna Goldfine

Oscars Predictions: Best Original Score
https://variety.com/feature/2022-oscars ... 235072002/
UNRANKED LISTING
Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song --- No U.S. Distribution --- To be added
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Watched the premiere tonight in Amsterdam at the Carré theater.
Great movie in a very suitable venue and as a bonus a Q&A with Daniël Geller , Dayna Goldfine and Robert Kory.

If you can, go see the movie, it is worth your time!

Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Thanks Hugo,

We will go later this week.
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Patrick Hasselbank

Post by Patrick Hasselbank »

HugoD wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:17 pm Came across this announcement for the film festival in Venice (upcoming September). Its about the premiere of a new LC documentary " Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” by Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine.

Some further info in the link below.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7600742/pl ... =ps6041756
Hugo! Thank you for that link! It is massive!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Sydney & Melbourne: Win Tickets to the 2022 Jewish International Film Festival!

https://www.screenrealm.com/2022-jewish ... -giveaway/
Australia: To celebrate the 2022 JEWISH INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL – taking place from February 23rd to April 3rd – we’ve lined up a ticket giveaway for our followers in Sydney and Melbourne!
.... documentary Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, an exploration of the singer-songwriter and the journey of his internationally renowned hymn, from record label reject to chart-topping hit.
2022 Jewish International Film Festival Screening Dates:
SYDNEY: 3 March – 4 April at Ritz Cinema, Randwick, 3 March – 23 April at March Roseville Cinemas, Roseville. MELBOURNE: 2 March – 3 April at Classic Cinemas, Elsternwick, 3 March – 3 April at Lido Cinemas, Hawthorn. BRISBANE: 10 March – 20 March at New Farm Cinemas, New Farm. GOLD COAST: 26 March – 3 April at Dendy Cinemas, Southport (Queen Street Village). CANBERRA: 10 March – 20 March at Dendy Cinemas, Canberra. PERTH: 23 February – 16 March at Luna Palace, Leederville.

hummm... Seems like the free tickets are only for Sydney and Melbourne.

Return to “News”