Dick Straub has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Dick Straub has passed away

Post by jarkko »

Dick in New York in 2014

We’ve got heartbreaking news from New Jersey. Our dear friend Dick Straub passed away at home yesterday, at the age of 80.

Eija and I have had wonderful and memorable moments together with Dick and Linda – we saw so many countries and places together, starting from the small-scale Cohen-gathering in Paris in 1999, followed a visit to their home and trip to Montreal in 2000. In the next years we travelled together in a dozen countries. Our last meeting was in Spring 2019 when we met at the Cohen exhibition in New York, at the Jewish Museum.

So many fond memories. Our thoughts are with you Linda.

Rest in Peace, and thank you for everything you brought into our lives, Dear Friend

Love
Eija and Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
199Dan

Re: Dick Straub has passed away

Post by 199Dan »

My condolences to Linda and to all Dick's friends.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

this has made me very sad. i never met dick, but we had a lot of contact over a long period. i liked him a lot, as i believe did everyone who knew him. how awful to get such news :-( :-( :-(
B4real

Post by B4real »

Oh dear! So unhappy to hear this! Dick contributed so much to this forum and Leonard.
My condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P.
... one by one we go ....
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Cate

Post by Cate »

I'm very sorry to hear this.
My condolences to Linda and all who loved him.
oldfriend28

Post by oldfriend28 »

My sincere condolences to all who knew and loved Dick. Very thankful for his life and for having him involved in this forum.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

We will miss Dick so much. Anne and I were talking today about how Dick showed us his favorite parts of New York City. He was so fun to be with. We send our deep condolences to Linda. Rest In Peace, Dick.
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Dick was a friend to everyone and always up for an adventure. He was also a longtime leader in the Cohen community helping to organize many Cohen meet ups, big and small. He was the driving force behind the Chelsea Hotel plaque to Leonard.

He was my friend and I will miss him. Condolences to Linda and to his family. Dick will be very missed.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Henning

Post by Henning »

So sorry to hear about Dick gone. Dick and Linda were the first people we met from the Leonard Cohen fanweb world. In 1999 they landed in Frankfurt and stayed in a hotel before I picked them up and brought them to our house where they stayed for a couple of days. I remember we visited the Paul McCartney paintings exhibition in Siegen. We weren't impressed much. In the following years we shared many wonderful moments together whenever there was a meet up in the name of Leonard Cohen. Rest in peace, good friend.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Friends

This is such sad news... I always thought of Dick as one of the original gang who seemed to be around forever and would never leave: ever present although not always in the spotlight of the attention. He was a humble and wise guy and Linda and he seemed to fit together perfectly. I'm sure he will be deeply missed by so many friends, family and Cohenites around the world.

My deepest condolences to Linda and friends and family for this loss...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
margaret

Post by margaret »

Sorry to read this. Dick was one of the first members of the Leonard Cohen community that I met, at the event in New York in 2004. Such a lovely man.
My sincere condolences to Linda and all his family and friends.
R.I.P. Dick
dar

Post by dar »

Something sent me to the forum today although I haven't checked it in many months. It surely was the spirit of our fellow Cohenite Dick Straub. He had such an amazing sense of humor (Big Dick) and a personality that kept this forum focused and fun (his affinity for all things au naturale). I remember so many wonderful interactions with him although I hadn't stayed in touch with him or Linda. They both travelled extensively and Dick always had the inside track on all things Leonard (including a winning bid on a vast collection of a rare Cohen library). I remember that announcement for sure.
My condolences to Linda and to Jarkko and Eija on Dick's passing. He lived with gusto whenever he could and he will not be forgotten.
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

So sorry to read this.
Our sincere condolences to Linda, his family and friends.

Willy and Wybe
Linda, Dick, Willy, Jarkko and Wybe - Dublin October 2006
Linda, Dick, Willy, Jarkko and Wybe - Dublin October 2006
This picture was made after the "Came so far for Beauty" concerts in Dublin.
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Mark and I were greatly saddened to read this news. We had the pleasure of meeting Dick and Linda in Nashville in 2009, two "stalwarts" of the forum.

Our thoughts and condolences to Linda.

Joy and Mark
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

I am very sad to hear this news. Dick was one of the first people I met from the forum. It was at the first Montreal concert in June 2008. My condolences to Linda, his family and many friends.

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton

Return to “News”