Book-stack promo

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Andrew (Darby)

Book-stack promo

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:20 pm

Our national broadcaster, ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation), as part of its evening TV news segment has a Finance Report by Alan Kohler. Alan makes these reports more interesting than the subject matter might suggest, with a quirky witty approach, and of late he’s been featuring a book-stack prominently visible on his desk.

Tonight I was very happy to see that it was Leonard related, with two of Leonard’s books, ‘The Flame’ and ‘Book of Longing’, along with ‘So Long Marianne - A Love Story’ by Kari Hesthamar. 8)

However, this was not particularly surprising for me, as I was aware for some years that Alan is a Leonard Cohen fan, having heard him interviewed on ABC and choose ‘Famous Blue Raincoat’ as one of the songs for the show, I seem to recall adding it was one of the best songs ever written.

Furthermore, on Twitter, in response to our recent national budget, he aptly posted
“Leonard also had a comment on the budget:
Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes”

Cheers,
Andrew :)

A87341C7-6C04-4D05-A961-DC28CD2A9956.jpeg
D0B5EF46-1E4D-4AC3-A9D9-9A0D5054147B.jpeg
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
oldfriend28

Re: Book-stack promo

Post by oldfriend28 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:14 am

:D
B4real

Re: Book-stack promo

Post by B4real » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:22 am

Hi Andrew,
Ha! I'm not prone to watching financial reports but I do watch the ABC - actually I prefer SBS :)
Leonard has a way of making an appearance where you least expect him so I'm not surprised to see that!
And Everybody Knows it has been proved (by me) that men have a preference for the song Famous Blue Raincoat ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “News”