Leonard’s praises sung, on radio

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Andrew (Darby)

Leonard’s praises sung, on radio

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:01 pm

My son Tim sent me the link below to Episode 6 of a cool radio show hosted by Laurie Anderson, called Party in the Bardo, which some of you may be familiar with.

Tim described the show itself as “quite spacious, poetic and reflective - perfect for lockdown”. 8)

Anyway, he sent it to me because Laurie and her guest, Don Shewey, play two Leonard songs and give them and his singing of them a big wrap... it’s so heartening to hear people who “get’ Leonard speak so intelligently and appreciatively, even effusively, about his work. :D

It’s a two hour show, so for those of you who haven’t got the time and/or perseverance, here are the time markers: back-to-back versions of Famous Blue Raincoat (by Judy Collins and Leonard) are played then discussed at the 0:38 mark; mention is made of The Guests and the influence of Rumi at 1:18; The Guests is then played at the 1:26 mark, followed by a little further comment.

https://soundcloud.com/maria-jo-o-garci ... rO2IT-wpOM

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
mutti

Re: Leonard’s praises sung, on radio

Post by mutti » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:28 pm

Thanks Andrew for letting us know and the link! Laurie Anderson is/was Lou Reed's wife and a composer/musician herself.
I look forward to listening.
Cheers!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “News”