Statement from Cohen Estate: Unauthorized use of "Hallelujah" as finale to Convention Festivities

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lizzytysh

Re: Statement from Cohen Estate: Unauthorized use of "Hallelujah" as finale to Convention Festivities

Post by lizzytysh »

:D 8) :D 8) :D
xoxoxox
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sebmelmoth2003

leonard cohen's hallelujah used - uk holocaust memorial day

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

The UK Ceremony for Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD)

chineke chamber ensemble - hallelujah - at end of 2021 event.

https://www.hmd.org.uk/news/uk-commemor ... -day-2021/

https://www.chineke.org
oliviarodrigo

Re: Statement from Cohen Estate: Unauthorized use of "Hallelujah" as finale to Convention Festivities

Post by oliviarodrigo »

i'm not sure why people get so bothered regards things that really in the bigger scheme of things don't really matter. i like artists who most certainly don't agree with my opinions but thats very good as in a free world the more we respect others views the better we get on. big deal trump singing a cohen song at a rally. at least unlike those lovely folk in isis and the talibaneverything he enjoys a good song. :D :lol: ;-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

oliviarodrigo wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:58 pm i'm not sure why people get so bothered regards things that really in the bigger scheme of things don't really matter...
Arciom Nesterovich wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:07 am ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

To Olivia and Arciom (assuming that the latter is agreeing with the former),

You are both missing an essential point: copyrighted music cannot be used by just anybody, especially in a public/performance setting, unless permission has been sought and authorisation granted for the use of that music. Copyrighted music is actually somebody's legal property -- it is not free to whomever wants to use it, and just like any other kind of property that is owned by someone, you can't just take it and use it, again, especially in a public/performance setting, without asking and being granted permission to use it (often for a fee -- royalties, etc.).

If someone uses copyrighted music in a public/performance setting without asking and without permission, it is technically stealing.

So, it does actually matter in the whole scheme of things that somebody used "Hallelujah" in the manner in which it was used and without authorisation, because it was a legal infraction, and people can't just choose which laws they will follow, and which they'll ignore. (Well, they can, but if everyone did that, perhaps you can see the problem...).

However, it has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not one agrees with the politics and/or opinions of the people in question in this particular case -- the fact of the matter is that it is a legal issue, and you may not agree with copyright law, but it is the law, like it or not (there are very good reasons for copyright laws, incidentally), and it was broken in this instance.
oliviarodrigo

Post by oliviarodrigo »

i am actually someone who always buys the legal version of an artists work and do find it annoying how music is just considered a free for all now. what is even worse though is streaming. you get millions of streams if i am correct in that is what they are and make nothing. that for me is far worse then a few bars of your tune getting heard in public. anyway did they forget they could have offered him last years man. :D 8) :lol: i love :D. my next post is gonna just be :D 8) :lol: ;-).
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

oliviarodrigo wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:27 pm ...what is even worse though is streaming. you get millions of streams if i am correct in that is what they are and make nothing...
Not true. Streaming services (legitimate ones) have to pay royalties to the rights-holders of the music. How much that amounts to depends on the streaming service, and on the number of streams, of course. Very few artists (and other rights holders) will get rich from streaming, but they do get paid, thus it is more than "nothing".

Return to “News”