Montreal Leonard Cohen Memorial Commemorative Box Set

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
pironi

Re: Montreal Leonard Cohen Memorial Commemorative Box Set

Post by pironi »

Well said, Ms. MaryB.
I am one who bought it on the first day although my finances really would not allow that.
The corona virus here in Italy is turning to its second phase, and nobody knows what is going to happen.
Still, I felt that I need the box because I want to experience some of this celebration of the Grand Master in Montreal three years ago. Back in 2017 I was not able to go to Montreal.
Pietro.
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

We are happy to see positive news here on the forum. After the postponed Leonard Cohen Event in Ghent and not be able to travel to Hydra this year we have something to look forward to. Yes, it's expensive but , think of all the money we've saved for not traveling and drinking beer with our Cohenight friends. When the Box arrives in November we can forget all Covid limitations and enjoy the full concert from Montreal again and all the memories that will come along with it.

Stay safe and happy,
W&W
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
KenKurzweil

Post by KenKurzweil »

I am looking forward to receiving this tribute to Leonard and supporting the Unified Hearts charity. Besides the personal pleasure that I will get from all the pieces in the Box, the Arts need to be supported during this difficult time. Can’t wait until November.
Yes, the Box is expensive. I wasn’t able to get to Montreal for the Actual event, the planned event in Belgium is postponed a year, I’m not spending money on concert tickets or travel, and part of the cost goes to charity. Enough of a reason for me to get it.
I hope that all of you are well!
Ken
Anneri

Post by Anneri »

This was exclusively positive news! For those of us who could not partisipate in Montreal, this is a real treat. I so look forward to watch the whole concert, not just some tracks on YouTube. Yes, it is expensive, but welcome to reality. UHPF is free to set the price, and we are free to buy it or not. As with everything else. There will always be priorities about how you could or should use your money.

As W&W said,
Stay safe and happy!

AnneRi
1976 Oslo| 1979 Oslo |1985 Oslo x 2 |1988 Oslo | 1993 Oslo | 2008 Manchester, Oslo, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Helsinki | 2009 New York, Langesund, Barcelona | 2010 Oslo, Helsinki, Las Vegas x 2 | 2012 Helsinki | 2013 Oslo
Judy

Post by Judy »

Well I bought the Box Set immediately (to be handed down with the rest of the LC collection to children and grandchildren :D ). I was fortunate enough to attend the memorial concert in Montreal, although hesitated at the time :roll:. It seemed too close to LC’s death. Time has passed; I have no regrets and am looking forward to hearing the concert again now and in a different frame of mind. The timing is perfect. It is expensive, but it’s all a question of choice. That the proceeds are going to support Canadian artists without any personal profit, is a definite plus.
Something very much to look forward to in these very uncertain times.
Keep safe everyone,
Judy
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

In view of the strong dissonance on this subject, I thought it useful to go back to first principles about Leonard’s legacy.

For many of us, on the front lines of our interior landscape, Leonard, by plumbing that depth with personal intensity, has provided much wisdom and empathy in dealing with the predicaments of human relationships we all share.

Touching that experience through Leonard, whether by attending faraway concerts, purchasing related merchandise or just enjoying the beauty of his music is a personal choice; maybe this is murder for some, but it should not distract from the importance of how much Leonard has affected our lives, whatever choice we make.

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

hello Friends,

i am so much looking forward to November to get this Box of Memories. The Songs, the Ballet of Montreal, the Memorial Concert and all the other items.
I shared so many concerts, events, holidays on Hydra and walking weekends because of the love for Leonards poetry and music. We are such a different "bunch of lonesome heroes" :D but all of us got one great connection.
I met friends around the world, i met Leonard, not in my wildest dreams i could imagine all that some years ago.
I guess it is really difficult to please so many, but i really like the idea of supporting artists with this project in those difficult times. I am sure Leonard would be pleased.
be careful and don´t catch a summer cold
ute
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

One hour after the announcement, i had ordered the box. I could not resist. Could i afford it? Perhaps not really ; if you're just retired from work, you should not spend such money, i guess. But i won't need money when i'm dead, so all that's spent now, is well-spent. Tickets for LC concerts did not cost less, sometimes, and we survived that, too. When i'm dead, someone will find this box, along with so many memories from these last Cohen-years ; concert-tickets and recordings from those days, who traveled from one fan to the next, and so created a chain of friendship, marked with stamps on envelopes from all over the world ; books ; our first LC event next year ; so many memories of such fantastic moments. This box may or may not be necessary - it was needed, for me.
... precisely ...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Awwwwwww... perfect, geoffrey. ❤❤❤

I've been reading everyone's input. Mary summed it up concisely. I agree with bigdee, and others who drew the parallel with public radio fundraisers, albeit they do offer different levels. I support them, too, and on an annual basis, have spent more for a lot less in the way of supporter gifts.

The price won't be easy for me, in light of other financial obligations, but value (quality is the official word) is remembered long after price is forgotten, and I value this plethora of offerings. For me, it's Leonard during a period of great suffering and strife.

I'm happy to support Canadian artists. I love Canada, and so much that is good has come from its people.

Much love,
Lizzie xxx
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
panjandrum

Post by panjandrum »

Wow, even with the discount that's just too rich for my blood unfortunately.

It's great that this is for charity, and it looks like a lovely set, but here is hoping the release a crappy non-collector's version I can buy later on for a more reasonable price. I care about the content, not the exclusivity or the polish.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:11 am https://youtu.be/YH4Hnxy5gnQ
Thanks Geoffrey, a great choice, so apt. 8)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Geoffrey,
As always, you get to the heart of it. Thank you so much.

Just an additional observation, after the Madison 2012 Event, the left over merchandise was much in demand -we love our Leonard Cohen related stuff and this big box of things is a great addition!
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaShZsoYaIA
Song From Our Room [Leonard Cohen Tribute in Quarantine]
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you for the positive comments concerning the 'minute prologue' song. by the way, regardless of what one may read, the word 'dissension' does not contain the letter 't'. ;-)

Return to “News”