Waiting For The News To Come

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
pe swijngedouw

Re: NOW THE COUNTDOWN: Waiting For The News To Come

Post by pe swijngedouw »

Clementine wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:07 am Does anybody know what time that will be in New Zealand? I'm hopeless with time zones. It's now Friday morning at 11.07am here!
Midnight in L.A. is nine in the morning here in belgium ; now it's 1.28 after midnight here, and 11.28 , just before noon at your place, so you're 10hrs later than we are : you could start eating soon, whereas we should be in bed now.
So, when whatever happens in Los Angeles, next night at 0,00 hrs there, it will be nine in the morning here, and you will be having supper, at about seven in the evening, perhaps having a late afternoon dessert or" something stronger" to help your food digest easier.
Enjoy the wait.
... precisely ...
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Waiting For The News To Come

Post by jarkko »

The News is now out!
Go to https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... =3&t=38991 to find out!
Thanks to all for this entertaining countdown!

Marie & Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
AlanM

Re: NOW THE COUNTDOWN: Waiting For The News To Come

Post by AlanM »

jarkko wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:36 pm Image
Has anybody worked out the significance of the "Country Living" clue?

Jarkko??

I can't believe it was there for no reason or was it a blue red herring?

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Alan: actually the frame in my post wasn't a clue at all. I just looked around to find interesting sayings about patience, and this Molière one had such a nice layout. That's why I copied and pasted it into this thread.

I am sorry if this teaser/countdown thread resulted in so very high expectations of the product that was to be released. From the other thread I have understood that members have quite mixed feelings about the box now when the news is out. (Well, isn't it the same with many other things in our lives, too...)

During the countdown everybody had time to think that it must be something they really wanted to get: new songs, recordings from the archives, more video footage, another book of Leonard's texts... I dare to say that several of these wishes will be fulfilled in the years to come, but there will not be another album with new songs. Leonard has given us the diamonds he created during his long life, and the mine is empty.

If the thread was a bit over-hyped, it is my fault only. I wanted to put up one more entertaining countdown just like we had years ago, during the Grand Tour. You know, I will be 70, and the parent website (www.leonardcohenfiles.com) has in September been online for 25 years, so at some point it is time to start thinking about retirement. From my professional work as a CPA auditor I retired already four years ago.

I also want to add that I understand completely why this Memorial Box was the first box to be released. It covers all those happenings in Montreal three years ago, and it is very important to have this kind of document, both for those who shared the experience in Montreal, and especially for those who didn't. It's a lasting evidence of Leonard's importance in many fields of Art, and his huge popularity.

A recollection from 1999 came back when I wrote this. In June I met Leonard for the first time (he had invited my family to his house in LA). He had recently left the Zen Center and was now pondering what to do. He said he wasn't sure if he had any audience left at all, after the long silence. I told him not to worry about that, we had seen that there was a loyal community gathered around his work. And now we know how much has happened ever since.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Jarkko, that's nonsense about retirement: job is job, but destiny is destiny. After all, you know that there is no cure for love ;-)

Regarding the countdown - it was, as Alan wrote a bit earlier, hell, it was swell, it was fun. Dixi.
There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Mastercard.
Our P-word experience is absolutely p-riceless for many of us (and we'll never get enough; nay, it's a terribly rare experience nowadays).
So, thank you! :razz:

On the other hand, it's pain to hear there will be no further studio albums, even though we know, that's more fair to the artist himself.
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Thank you Jarkko for saying something that I have been wanting to say but, due to my fairly recent arrival here, did not. Specifically:
jarkko wrote:Leonard has given us the diamonds he created during his long life, and the mine is empty.
The reaction on the forum after your announcement has left me feeling appalled that those who profess to love Leonard so deeply will not honor his life by graciously letting him go "gently into that good night." I have found it hard to understand why, after all he has given them of his soul, they continue to clamor for more. I can only hope that Adam and those entrusted with Leonard's legacy realize that the voices raised in disappointment do not speak for us all.
Another hope is that this forum and the parent website will continue far past your deserved retirement, whenever it is that you choose to begin it.
Thank you again,
Vickie
mutti

Post by mutti »

Another hope is that this forum and the parent website will continue far past your deserved retirement, whenever it is that you choose to begin it.
Thank you again,
Vickie

I totally agree with this statement...and Jarkko I support you and when you decide to retire from the forum
we will celebrate all your hard work and devotion...I hope its not for awhile to be honest.
Take good care of yourself & Eija and family.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

vlcoats wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:15 pm ...The reaction on the forum after your announcement has left me feeling appalled that those who profess to love Leonard so deeply will not honor his life by graciously letting him go "gently into that good night." I have found it hard to understand why, after all he has given them of his soul, they continue to clamor for more...

I think that's a bit harsh and unwarranted. I was obviously one of the people who was disappointed about the box set, for several reasons which I previously noted, but I did not denigrate the people who were pleased about it.

The fact is, I have never been into all that "tribute" stuff and cover-versions, etc., I always prefer to enjoy the real thing, and to think about and honour Leonard Cohen in my own ways. However, I can certainly understand how the significance of the "Memorial Events" may have a lot of meaning for some people, and thus why this box set appeals to them. But personally, I'd much rather cherish the things that Leonard himself gave us and in the ways that he gave them -- that is what has meaning for me -- instead of cherishing the things that other people say and do about him and his work.

Clearly, we do not all feel the same way about everything that is done by other people in Leonard's name and honour, nor should we be made to feel guilty if we do not -- Leonard's work and what other people do with it are totally separate things to me, and I simply do not value them in the same way.

I am sorry if my previous comments offended anyone -- that was not my intention, and I apologise to anyone who may have taken them personally.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

jarkko wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:45 pm ...A recollection from 1999 came back when I wrote this. In June I met Leonard for the first time (he had invited my family to his house in LA). He had recently left the Zen Center and was now pondering what to do. He said he wasn't sure if he had any audience left at all, after the long silence. I told him not to worry about that, we had seen that there was a loyal community gathered around his work. And now we know how much has happened ever since.

Thank you for all that you have done for Leonard and his work and for this community. We may not always share the same feelings about everything, but our love for Leonard Cohen is our common bond. I wish you all the best in whatever endeavours you pursue, be it here or elsewhere. Cheers!
holydove

Post by holydove »

vlcoats wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:15 pm The reaction on the forum after your announcement has left me feeling appalled that those who profess to love Leonard so deeply will not honor his life by graciously letting him go "gently into that good night." I have found it hard to understand why, after all he has given them of his soul, they continue to clamor for more.
Wow. That is an extremely inaccurate & inappropriately judgmental statement. An expression of disinterest or disappointment regarding this boxset has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's love for Leonard, & I thought that would have been quite obvious. Personally - & I do not "profess" anything - but it is a fact that I have been loving Leonard & his work for over 50 years, & he has had an enormous, incalculable, devastating (in a good way!) effect on my heart & soul, & I will love him & honor him forever. The boxset, as Lisa eloquently & accurately stated, is a totally separate issue, & the items contained therein, which have nothing to do with Leonard's own Voice per se (except for the CD), are just not interesting enough, for some of us, to warrant the pricetag - I would think that should be a simple enough concept for anyone to understand and, dare I say, respect. Though I would add, as I mentioned before, that I have no problem donating to the charitable & honorable cause, & I also have no problem with the fact that some people are happy with the boxset, & I am glad that they are happy, & hope that they enjoy it very much. And we are not "clamoring for more" from Leonard; we merely expressed interest in recordings, videos, & writings that we know are already in existence. And I'm quite sure that none of us have any desire to interfere with Leonard "going gentle into that good night" (btw, the word in that poem is "gentle", not "gently"), if that sort of interference is even possible...But if you feel inclined to be "appalled", that is obviously your choice.

And Jarkko: please do not feel badly about anything. The countdown was fun & charming, & I love you & I am eternally grateful to you for everything you have done for us & for Leonard through the years. The forum & files are precious & invaluable spaces, where we have all been able to share the great joy of Leonard & his work, & where we have been able to meet & enjoy each others' experiences, perspectives & love for Leonard - & you have thereby provided us with a simply irreplaceable & amazing phenomenon. I also support any decision you make, but I hope you will stick around here for a while...I also cherish the brief interactions we have had, & would so love to meet you again somewhere down the road...
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Jarkko, you are a kid with a crazy dream. 70 is the new 60. Thank you for all you do for our community, and all you've done throughout the years. Your countdown was fun.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Thank you, Jarkko, for all you have done for the Cohen community and all that you continue to do. Your intentions have never changed, to keep Leonard's work alive. For many, keeping Leonard's work alive takes nothing more than putting a CD into a player. Others, some here and some to come, immerse themselves in Leonard's work, study it intensely and even reinterpret it. Leonard favored this we know because he gave his permission to the MAC and the ballet to use his work.

In some ways, Jarkko, you too have reinterpreted Leonard's work by turning it into events, meet ups, celebrations and even bench building endeavors. All brought joy to us and honor to Leonard. If he were here, I know Leonard would tell you this himself. I wish that were possible, but I know Leonard was never stingy when it came to saying thanks. So, I second Leonard's unspoken words, thank you, Jarkko.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
B4real

Post by B4real »

Absolutely and perfectly well said, Marie!!

I feel compelled to say that when I first saw the title of this thread I thought it may have been an announcement that Jarkko was retiring and handing over the reins to Marie or someone else. In fact, at that time I said those words to a forum member here. Seems I must have got a vibe that it was being thought about!

But Jarkko, whatever you decide it will be the right thing for you and that’s the way it should be.

And don't worry, I also happily played a part in the build-up and anticipation on this thread with my expressively felt images and sometimes hopeful suggestions. In any event, I had such fun! It was like old times!

And geez Alan, from asking a simple question look what's eventuated, ha! Democracy in action!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

jarkko wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:45 pm
I am sorry if this teaser/countdown thread resulted in so very high expectations of the product that was to be released. From the other thread I have understood that members have quite mixed feelings about the box now when the news is out. (Well, isn't it the same with many other things in our lives, too...)
Jarkko, thank you for your reply - much more than I was expecting.
These words from poet John Lydgate, often quoted by President Lincoln, are surely applicable:
You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.
Actually, by confirming the quote, I found out it wasn't an Aesop's Fable moral! So, I am already a wiser person.

I am grateful, as I'm sure many of us are, for what you have done for the Cohen fan community in regards to the Files, Forum, Events and Gatherings, along with arranging the memorial bench and by no means least, all those tickets you arranged for us to have priority access to.
My wife and I got to the Hydra meet-up last year, met many lovely Cohen fans and even saw you at a distance!
We hope to return when travel restrictions permit.

I am also grateful to the many people who have also helped to bring Leonard into our lives, minds and souls, including whoever decided to give him the grants to keep him writing. In some ways, I am even grateful that Kelley Lynch indirectly got him on the road again.

When you do decide to step down from the Files and Forum, I wish you and your family a long, healthy and happy life. As Roman pointed out, I did enjoy the countdown, and would happily partake in others.

My main Cohen regret is that the 1988 and 1993 tours did not include Australia, so if any hints were to be dropped in the direction of future projects, releasing more concert material from those tours would be really nice. Cohen Live is one of my favourite albums.

Of course there is also the possibility of Songs From the Road volumes 2, 3, 4, etc., ideally in DVD/ Blu-Ray formats, from the 21st century tour(s).

Thank you again for all your efforts on our behalf,

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
idealcrash

Post by idealcrash »

jarkko wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:45 pm During the countdown everybody had time to think that it must be something they really wanted to get: new songs, recordings from the archives, more video footage, another book of Leonard's texts... I dare to say that several of these wishes will be fulfilled in the years to come, but there will not be another album with new songs. Leonard has given us the diamonds he created during his long life, and the mine is empty.
Thank you Jarkko for those tiny hints. I do not think many of us were expecting 'another album with new songs' in the vein of Thanks for the Dance - which was very much a finishing up of work already started by Leonard, and a tying together of loose ends, according to his wishes.

For me, it is the 'recordings from the archives' bit that holds the most interest, and I would be grateful, without meaning to pry, if you could provide any hint about whether anything is planned. We know that Leonard did not, at one point at least, look kindly on sharing songs or versions that for one reason or another ended up not being released (he stopped the reissue campaign which had added bonus tracks such as 'Store Room' to his first album - even though he revived that song and performed it extensively on his 1976 tour). On the other hand, later on he did share working versions of lyrics on your very own website in the Blackening Pages section (to quote, 'I want to send, among other things, the first manuscript scratchings for Suzanne and other early songs. I'd like to make the process clear, or at least throw some light on the mysterious activity of writing.'), and shared rough demo versions of Book of Longing and Puppets on a radio show. There is also the embryonic A Thousand Kisses Deep in the 1996 documentary, so it looks like Leonard was not too averse anymore to letting us see his working process. For someone like me these glimpses into the life of a song, from draft to demo to various attempts to the finished product, are fascinating. It is not everyone's cup of tea, of course, but I am one of those who delight in having 5 CDs of session outtakes on a deluxe reissue of a favourite album (like the Beatles' White Album) and listen to them repeatedly. There are many wonders still buried in the vaults in Leonard's case - in his book about Hallelujah, Alan Light mentions about Leonard's first album that 'He recorded twenty-five songs, ten of which made the album, nine of which still remain unreleased.' There are most likely such outtakes from later albums, not to mention the project for Songs for Rebecca with John Lissauer. Later on, when Leonard started recording at home, there must be a wealth of archives of demo versions and working tracks. And last but not least, the two projects that were in the works with Patrick Leonard and which have been mentioned on these forums already, the R&B project and the 'string quartets' (a la 'Treaty (Reprise)') on which at least some recording had been done, and which would deserve to see the light at some point, in some form, even though they couldn't be fully-fledged albums without Leonard's vocals.

Of course, any such archival work, if attempted, would need years of research and then careful curation. There are many ways in which it can be done wrong. But any clue about whether anything of the sort is being envisaged would be greatly appreciated ;-)

Return to “News”