Linda Sturgess has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
mnkyface

Linda Sturgess has passed away

Post by mnkyface » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Hi everyone, Happy Easter if you celebrate. My dear, dear friend Linda (sturgess66 on this forum) passed away last week in Philadelphia. She was beautiful, kind, funny, a music lover, and an accomplished musician herself (she played the French horn with major orchestras in the US). Her love and knowledge of Leonard knew no bounds. She only saw Leonard live a few times in Philadelphia and NY, but she contributed immeasurably to the detailed concert threads from the last tours, starting each thread and posting blogs, reviews, photos, articles, videos for every date/venue of the tour. In doing so she left behind an extraordinary gift for all of us, and for future generations discovering Leonard and this forum. Rest in peace, Linda. I know you are with your sweet kitties and maybe even with Leonard. I miss you.
1917279_144396497118_154401_n.jpg

Esther
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Re: Linda Sturgess has passed away

Post by LisaLCFan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:20 pm

Oh, dear, I am so sorry to hear that. I did not know Linda personally, but she made such an enormous contribution to this forum, particularly in posting so many video treasures of Leonard's performances. And, her French-horn playing smurf avatar always made me smile!

Deepest condolences to her loved ones.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:00 am

LisaLCFan wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:20 pm
Oh, dear, I am so sorry to hear that. I did not know Linda personally, but she made such an enormous contribution to this forum, particularly in posting so many video treasures of Leonard's performances. And, her French-horn playing smurf avatar always made me smile!

Deepest condolences to her loved ones.
what lisa wrote goes for me, too. horrible news. she was a constant fixture in the cohen circle, and will be long remembered.
B4real

Post by B4real » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:01 am

Oh Esther! I am so shocked and so very sad!!
Over the last ten years I've had many a happy conversation with Linda. Such a lovely and knowledgeable person. Yes, her contribution to this forum is immeasurable. Life is so fragile. My condolences to her family and friends. RIP.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
holydove

Post by holydove » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:41 am

This is terrible, shocking news!! I remember Linda's dedication in making all those wonderful, tour-related posts, as well as her exuberance & warmth, which always came through in her posts. Although I didn't meet her in person, I will always remember her.

Condolences to Linda's family & friends.
Diane

Post by Diane » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:18 am

That's very sad to hear. Linda seemed to have her pulse on every LC-related video out there. I will remember her for how we enthused together about the Crossroads Guitar Festivals. Safe flight.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:14 pm

.... rest in peace, Linda, our dear friend.
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:40 am

I am very sad to read this about my friend Linda, R.I.P. She was very generous to me over many years with LC discs she had spent many many hours collating for me. I will miss her dedication to matters Leonard, but more than this, as a loyal friend.
My sincere condolences to Linda's family and friends.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:51 pm

Oh, dear. This news is very very sad. I've only just seen this announcement. I am so very sorry to hear it. Shocking. Linda did so many things to positively contribute here! Her contributions were lasting, and I'm sure Leonard appreciated them, as well. Lasting, real-time documentation cannot be duplicated. Deeply appreciated then, and valued forever.

If you look at Allan Showalter's site, you will find a lot of entries that lead with "Thanks to Linda Sturgess for alerting me to this . . . " and "Thanks to Linda Sturgess for sharing this . . . "

My heart is with her and her family and loved ones, as she leaves memories of herself behind. She was still so young! May you rest forever in eternal peace, dear Linda. Esther, I'm so sorry for your own loss of your dear friend.

~ Lizzie
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:23 pm

RIP, Linda-you added so much to our LC world. You will be sincerely missed.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:59 pm

This is from Christopher Minko:

"R.I.P. : Linda Sturgess
Very sad to hear of the passing of a good friend Linda Sturgess who, before retiring, was a french horn player with the New York Symphony Orchestra. Whilst I never met Linda in person we became good musical friends over the net and she kindly set up the KROM facebook and other sites for KROM and often provided key encouragement to keep going with the music of KROM."
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”