Leonard Cohen, Untold Stories: The Early Years

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
WiTS

Leonard Cohen, Untold Stories: The Early Years

Post by WiTS »

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/ ... 1982152635

About the book
The extraordinary life of one of the world’s greatest music and literary icons, in the words of those who knew him best.

Poet, novelist, singer-songwriter, artist, prophet, icon—there has never been a figure like Leonard Cohen. He was a true giant in contemporary western culture, entertaining and inspiring people everywhere with his work. From his groundbreaking and bestselling novels, The Favourite Game and Beautiful Losers, to timeless songs such as “Suzanne,” “Dance Me to the End of Love,” and “Hallelujah,” Cohen is a cherished artist. His death in 2016 was felt around the world by the many fans and followers who would miss his warmth, humour, intellect, and piercing insights.

Leonard Cohen, The Untold Stories chronicles the full breadth of his extraordinary life. The first of three volumes—The Early Years—follows him from his boyhood in Montreal to university, and his burgeoning literary career to the world of music, culminating with his first international tour in 1970.

Through the voices of those who knew him best—family and friends, colleagues and contemporaries, rivals, business partners, and his many lovers—the book probes deeply into both Cohen’s public and private life. It also paints a portrait of an era, the social, cultural, and political revolutions that shook the 1960s.

In this revealing and entertaining first volume, bestselling author and biographer Michael Posner draws on dozens of interviews to reach beyond the Cohen of myth and reveal the unique, complex, and compelling figure of the real man.

About the author
Michael Posner is an award-winning writer, playwright and journalist, and the author of seven books. These include the Mordecai Richler biography, The Last Honest Man, and the Anne Murray biography, All of Me, both of which were national bestsellers. He was Washington Bureau Chief for Maclean's magazine, and later served as its national, foreign, and assistant managing editor. He was also managing editor of the Financial Times of Canada for three years. He later spent sixteen years as a senior writer with The Globe and Mail.

Publisher: Simon & Schuster (October 6, 2020)
Length: 448 pages
ISBN13: 9781982152635
eBook 9781982152635
Last edited by WiTS on Mon May 25, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
Mary72

Re: Leonard Cohen, Untold Stories: The Early Years

Post by Mary72 »

So looking forward to read Michael's books. Then we can say: Now, Everybody Knows!
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

When is this book available, and who sells it? Thank you.
Mary72

Post by Mary72 »

You can pre-order through Amazon Regensburg.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leonard-Cohen- ... VDHCXrXo3A
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

This book will be released on November 12, 2020. Pre orders available on Amazon and bol.com and .....

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have heard that this is the first of three volumes, and covers the years 1934 to 1970.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

Michael Posner
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P ... ournalist)

Michael Posner, born 1947, is a Canadian journalist, best known as the author of the Mordecai Richler biography The Last Honest Man,[1] the Anne Murray biography All of Me,[2] and The Art of Medicine: Healing and the Limits of Technology with renowned physician, Dr. Herbert Ho Ping Kong.[3]

In his youth he appeared as an actor in the film And No Birds Sing, for which he won the Canadian Film Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Non-Feature at the 21st Canadian Film Awards in 1969.[4] He did not continue to work as an actor, instead becoming a journalist. In 1977, he co-founded Canadian Lawyer Magazine,[5] and went on to write for publications such as the Financial Times of Canada,[6] The Globe and Mail and Toronto Life. His books have included The Big Picture: What Canadians Think About Almost Everything (1990), cowritten with Allan Gregg;[7] Canadian Dreams: The Making and Marketing of Independent Films (1993);[8] and Triple Bypass (2016), about his own recent battle with heart disease.

How Michael Posner suffered heart disease and escaped with his life
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/he ... e14174603/
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Interview with the author of the book:
https://www.musicconnection.com/kuberni ... d-stories/
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

WiTS wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:08 pm . . . the book probes deeply into both Cohen’s public and private life.
"there'll be the breaking of the ancient western code, your private life will suddenly explode"
Mordy

Post by Mordy »

The Times published an excerpt from this in the Saturday Review section yesterday.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mari ... -xwf55hwhm
B4real

Post by B4real »

Author and journalist Michael Posner discusses his new book about Leonard Cohen on December 13

by Steve Newton on November 23rd, 2020 at 10:08 AM
https://www.straight.com/arts/author-an ... ecember-13
Fans of Leonard Cohen have an online event to look forward to next month.

On December 13 at 11 am Pacific time, author and journalist Michael Posner will lead a virtual discussion of his new book, Leonard Cohen: Untold Stories, The Early Years, the first installment of a trilogy about the legendary Canadian poet and singer-songwriter.

"Leonard Cohen, Untold Stories chronicles the full breadth of his extraordinary life," reads the publisher's description of the book. "The Early Years follows him from his boyhood in Montreal to university, and his burgeoning literary career to the world of music, culminating with his first international tour in 1970.

"Through the voices of those who knew him best--family and friends, colleagues and contemporaries, rivals, business partners, and his many lovers--the book probes deeply into both Cohen's public and private life. It also paints a portrait of an era, the social, cultural, and political revolutions that shook the 1960s."

Presented by Banyen Books & Sound, the webinar is free on Zoom and you can register here.

JOIN THE DISCUSSION (click in link)
Online Event - https://www.straight.com/listings/events/1399023
Leonard Cohen: Untold Stories
Online, Vancouver
INFO
When: Dec 13, 11 am–12:15 pm
Price: Free
Categories: Virtual/Online, Forums & Talks
WEBSITE (click in link)
Leonard Cohen is one of the world’s greatest music and literary icons. Join us for an engaging conversation with award-winning biographer Michael Posner. This will be an unmissable event for those who have been moved by the words and music of Leonard Cohen! ... And there will be an opportunity to ask questions.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Bev!
I booked the event at Banyen Books.
Its a fabulous bookstore in my hometown of Vancouver, BC Canada and I used to live 4 blocks from it. Its been around (in 2 locations) since my the mid 70's. I figure it will be nice to attend.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
B4real

Post by B4real »

My pleasure, Leslie 8)
If anything interesting happens, I'm sure you'll let us know!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Eva

Post by Eva »

I have just finished reading this trashy book on Kindle (very happy I didn’t waste more money on the Hardcopy!) A compilation of gossip-style notations from people who allegedly knew Leonard Cohen. This is tabloid-style journalism that feeds into the sensationalism & fake news so prevalent & popular in our times. Too many people have jumped onto the bandwagon to profit from the beautiful legacy that Leonard Cohen left us & this book in no way enhances that nor does it necessitate digging in the dirt & finding skeletons in the closet.

Trashy! is this relevant to Leonard Cohen’s legacy?
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

Return to “News”