New pope NOW

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
mara

New pope NOW

Post by mara »

I just switched the TV on and -surprise- we've got a new pope :shock:
I wonder who. Hopefully not that Ratzinger.
Myfair

Post by Myfair »

It is Ratzinger. Well, I left the church some 15 Years ago anyway, so I don't really care for myself; but all this conservatism is driving Millions of others into trouble, in South America or Africa, for instance.

Sad day.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I'm getting a better feeling for the difference between the two, liberalism and conservatism, regarding the Church, the more I listen. I won't go into all of it. However, it does feel that whatever Pope John Paul II gained, will be lost via Pope Benedict XVI. I guess I'll be paying more attention now. I was hoping for either the African or South American Cardinal; however, I feared it would be Ratzinger. The upside seems to be that he unequivocally condemns the molestation that's occurred in the Church.

My co-worker, originally from Russia ~ at about age 12 ~ proclaimed that a conservative Pope is necessary for the Church, as liberals, across time, will have the Church running around like a bunch of hippies. I corrected him that the Catholic Church will NEVER be hippie-like.
Paula

Post by Paula »

As there are only apparently going to be two more Popes before the end of the world I was hoping for a younger one. Perhaps they could elect the last one like they do the Dali Lama and then we might have a fighting chance to get to Leonard's concert.
John Etherington

Hi Paula

Post by John Etherington »

I don't think they could elect a new pope in the same way as the Dalai Lama, since the Catholic church outlawed the idea of reincarnation, a long time ago! All good wishes, John E
jpx

public service announcement

Post by jpx »

hello all : )

FYI, i'm changing my name to Benedict : )

hope everyone is well : long time no speak! i am working and trying to stay creative. marianne is excellent, and thanks for asking : ) and the weather here is fine...

meow for now : )

jp(b)x
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi jp(b)x ~

Great to see you! Meow around again, sometime soon.

End of the world, Paula? What end of the world? Or, which end of the world, if you're speaking geographics :wink: .

~ Lizzie
Paula

Post by Paula »

Lizzie there is a guy born I can't remember but about 1560 who has predicted the Popes, similar to Nostradamous but Popes. According to him there are only two more Popes to go before Armageddan. I was hoping for a younger Pope (just in case ) :wink:
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Nostradamus also predicted new Hitler emerginf from east in late 1990s (was it Slobodan Milosevic) and also Pope's "seed of sin" in the end of millenium. I didn't see any of that :?
Paula

Post by Paula »

It wasn't Nostradamous Tom it was St Malachy. I was hoping to survive at least until next year for Leonard's tour.

St. Malachy (1094-1148), an Irish Archbishop, is credited with creating the list of the last 112 Popes. While on a journey to the Vatican, St. Malachy supposedly had a vision of a procession of all the Popes from his day until the end of the world. Pope John Paul II is Pope 110. According to St. Malachy's prophecy, which lay forgotten until 1595, there will be a successor to Pope John Paul II followed by a Pope named Peter who will be the final pontiff. Malachy states that " During the last persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there shall set forth Peter of Rome, who shall feed the sheep amid great tribulations, and when these have passed, the City of Seven Hills shall be utterly destroyed and the awful judge shall judge the people." However, Pope John Paul II is a big millennium fan and has every intention of celebrating the Golden Jubilee 2000 at the Vatican. So, the Pope countdown continues.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

The little finger of GW Bush said it was Saddam H. Like if there is no many little adolf here and there in many countries. Not interest, though, to fight these dictators, since these countries have no interesting natural ressources.

For the rest, my young friend, well! Nothing happened of the prediction of Michel de Nostre Dame because, I am sorry to tell you, we are all dead. Yes. The world end in 2000, but your soul refuses to face it. (he,he)

Benoît XVI is too conservative for my liking. Benedict the Strict the anglo said. Pfff.... Anyway, to announce the election of the new Pope with this black or white smoke at the time of telephones, computers and satellites tells a lot about some traditions of the Church that are maybe not so adapted to realities, now. I would have expect a Latino Pope.

Armageddon? The four "problems" that should destroy the world lay inside of each of us. Only us are causing these problems. We us could stop this. Not Pope no Jesus to crucifix on a cross, no other scapegoat to hurt to death. Just be councious and act accordingly. :wink: But people fears truth. Why? I don't know. Do you know?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The little finger of GW Bush said it was Saddam H. Like if there is no many little adolf here and there in many countries. Not interest, though, to fight these dictators, since these countries have no interesting natural ressources.
Yep :( .
" . . . we are all dead. Yes. The world end in 2000, but your soul refuses to face it."

There's just something about this that I really like :) .

Oh my, Paula. This means I won't even have time to pay off all my bills.

jp(b)x ~ So, this means you've been John Paul X all this time? How could I not have seen it til now :? ? :wink:
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

What it is that you like? The typo (end)?

JPX looks like a cat to me, and a quiet one also.
catherine

Post by catherine »

I said I would change my religion if Ratzinger became pope so
obviously I'll have to be looking around for something nice and new. :D
Jo

Post by Jo »

Oh Paula you're a treat :lol:

I think you needn't worry - with modern medicine and the luck the world's had with its illustrious leaders this old codger could live for at least another 50-odd years. The next pope will probably be elected for his youth at 100-odd and by the same reasoning will live for another 100 years - so I think perhaps by that time even Leonard will have managed to fit in at least one more visit to Merry old England.

Mind you - the last pope may even BE the cause of the end of the world - some irate parishioner might lob a nuclear bomb at the Vatican thus causing a domino effect nuclear reaction around the world - the look-mine's-bigger-than-yours syndrome.

Should we laugh, should we be cross, or should we worry? It could be a tad inconvenient to have the ground cut from under our feet in the prime of our lives - 200 really is too young to shuffle off to newer pastures.
"... to make a pale imitation of reality with twenty-six juggled letters"
"... all words are lies because they can only represent one of many levels of being"
Sober noises of morning in a marginal land.

Return to “News”