marianne pregnant with leonard's baby

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Geoffrey

marianne pregnant with leonard's baby

Post by Geoffrey » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:50 pm

dagbladet 12 oct -2019.jpg
dagbladet 12 oct -19.jpg
LisaLCFan

Re: cheap tabloid journalism

Post by LisaLCFan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:58 am

This is ancient "news", it happened decades ago -- is this really the appropriate place to post this? "Comments and Questions", perhaps, would be more fitting (although, honestly, one could question whether it is fitting to post this tabloid fodder anywhere on this forum), not to mention using a more tactful subject line...

"The Sun" article to which you linked pretty much sums up the entire "Marianne and Leonard" film, with a genuinely tacky and distasteful headline -- at least you didn't use that for your post.
anny

Re: marianne pregnant with leonard's baby

Post by anny » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:57 am

I agree Lisa
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:40 am

LisaLCFan wrote:
>This is ancient "news", it happened decades ago -- is this really the appropriate place to post this?

i am not a judge, lisa. it was posted to the news section because it is in a current newspaper.

>"The Sun" article to which you linked pretty much sums up the entire "Marianne and Leonard" film, with a genuinely tacky and distasteful headline -- at least you didn't use that for your post.

i have not seen the film, and wrote only a translation of the norwegian newspaper's headline. perhaps your indignance and condemnation should be aimed at the newspaper editors, not the messenger. :-(
LisaLCFan

Re: tabloid rubbish

Post by LisaLCFan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:40 am
...i am not a judge, lisa. it was posted to the news section because it is in a current newspaper....

A person does not have to be a judge to exercise judgement on things and on the appropriateness of their actions -- you chose to post this here, but you could have done otherwise. Obviously, the story itself is not current news, and thus the tabloid that printed it should not have used the present tense for the headline (but, it is a tabloid, after all, and veracity and integrity are not generally words that come to mind to describe them). You did not have to repeat/translate their headline -- that was your choice.

Geoffrey wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:40 am
... perhaps your indignance and condemnation should be aimed at the newspaper editors, not the messenger.

I thought that's what I did by acknowledging that "at least" you did not use The Sun's headline in your post. But again, you did not have to post any of this, you could have seen it for the tabloid rubbish that it is, and chosen to refrain from proliferating it by repeating it here.
Mary72

Post by Mary72 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Only in Norway to make headlines like this.
And I know so much, shame I can't reveal...
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 pm

Mary72 wrote:
>Only in Norway to make headlines like this.

are you sure? i do not wish to get involved in a discussion about this, but feel it necessary when i see one country being made into a scapegoat.

there are several internet sites and publications around the world that have such headlines, with subsequent negative assessments on leonard's character. some of them, such as uk's daily telegraph (not a tabloid) ask for registration before allowing viewing.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/sexu ... dead-child
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/07/ ... s-of-love/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artis ... -womanise/

plus others.
Mary72

Post by Mary72 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Dear Geoffrey,
If there is one thing that will NEVER change on me about Leonard is what others think of him, so all those with negative assessments on his character don't disturb me for a nano second!
I haven't seen those headlines over here, I can only speak about the impact of the norwegian headlines in some close friends in Norway.
Just remember the immense love that Marianne had for him until the end. What for other's might be unthinkable, against all moral and religious values, against all the core values of human rights, it happened, it was real and even though Love prevaled. And what is Love? Give me another lifetime and I will try to explain.
varm Klem min venn!!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:33 pm

hei maria. skriver når jeg kommer hjem.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:37 am

Mary72 wrote:
>Dear Geoffrey,
>If there is one thing that will NEVER change on me about Leonard is what others think of him, so all those with negative assessments on his character don't disturb me for a nano second!

good to hear. most reviews and assessments of leonard's character are positive, but some people purposely provoke in order to stick out from the crowd. in norwegian we call this 'kjerringa mot strømmen' ('the old woman against the stream'). you are right to be unconcerned.

>I haven't seen those headlines over here, I can only speak about the impact of the norwegian headlines in some close friends in Norway.

speaking from my own private experience, i find abortion a difficult subject to discuss, especially on a personal level. it unquestionably evokes strong emotional feelings, so the "impact" you mention is quite natural and understandable.

>Just remember the immense love that Marianne had for him until the end. What for other's might be unthinkable, against all moral and religious values, against all the core values of human rights, it happened, it was real and even though Love prevaled. And what is Love? Give me another lifetime and I will try to explain.

i know what you mean. the love affair between marianne and leonard was quite special, although mostly because leonard was famous. i am of the opinion, however, that a great many less famous people have had far more interesting love affairs than those two, and this is partly why i haven't yet made a serious effort to see the movie, merely read what others have written.

>varm Klem min venn!!

you are becoming quite competent in norwegian, i see. vi kunne jo kommunisere bare på norsk om du ønsker det, kjære maria - men at jarkko ville godkjenne det tviler jeg på. varm klem tilbake :-)

Return to “News”