Leonard's letters to Marianne for sale

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Geoffrey

Re: Leonard's letters to Marianne for sale

Post by Geoffrey »

Maarten asked:
>Do you have all the images I'm refering to (that is, 165 images from the Christie's website)?
------------------
yes indeed, plus a couple of extra text files, one of them the complete collection kindly transcribed into a searchable 'word' document. it's my birthday, christmas and father's day all rolled into one ;-)
let's hope all copyright restrictions are eventually removed so that sharing this treasure chest will not be punished by a trip to the tower ;-)

warm regards -
geoffrey
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Maarten wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:36 pm ...Here's the promised link to all 165 images plus one docx file which includes all the lot descriptions taken from Christie's.

All the best
Maarten
Thank you Maarten, this is rather amazing.

However (and this is no reflection on you, Maarten), I have to say that I feel like I am an intruder, reading these letters (I have only glanced at some of them -- I can't quite bring myself to read them). They are so personal and heartfelt -- "private" in every sense of the word. I wonder if Leonard had any idea, when he wrote these words to his Marianne, that 50 or 60 years later, they would be so publicly available for the world to see? Perhaps if 50 more years had elapsed, it might not seem so intrusive, but at this point in time, these two people have so recently left us, that it seems almost inappropriate to be reading this very private correspondence between them.

(I won't even get into the whole issue of making money from them -- that has been the way it is with famous artists, forever, with people trying to cash in on their fame posthumously).

Regardless of my ethical dilemma, it was generous of you to share this with us.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Firstly, thank you Maarten for your generosity and the ease of access to these letters.

Secondly, I struggled for a long while with wanting to download them and knowing they were not meant for me to see. I haven't read any yet and will just keep them tucked away to be read maybe at another time.
My sentiments are also reflected in Lisa's words.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>I wonder if Leonard had any idea, when he wrote these words to his Marianne, that 50 or 60 years later, they would be so publicly available for the world to see? Perhaps if 50 more years had elapsed, it might not seem so intrusive, but at this point in time, these two people have so recently left us, that it seems almost inappropriate to be reading this very private correspondence between them.
----------------
totally agree. leonard was always discreet concerning his private relationships, except for when he said it was janis joplin who gave him 'head'.
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Wow, ithe the auction raises in the region of 800.000 USD ! :shock:
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
jongrep

Post by jongrep »

Reuters: Leonard Cohen's love letters to Marianne fetch $876,000 at auction

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-peop ... SKCN1TE3DL
e rennie

Post by e rennie »

Dear Maarten,

I just wanted to thank you for the link to the letters. I have downloaded them and will keep them in my archive. I share doubts about whether one should read them. We have met a couple of times - on Hydra and in Paris - I doubt you will remember me, but thank you again.

Best wishes,

Elizabeth

Return to “News”