NEW FILM: Death of a Ladies’ Man

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
B4real

Post by B4real »

https://www.byrneholics.com/2018/news/g ... adies-man/
Gabriel Byrne is set to star in a new film inspired by the words and music of Leonard Cohen.
The title of the film is taken from Leonard Cohen’s 1977 album, and the script was inspired by the work of the late Canadian poet and musician, including themes of love, loss and the relationship between fathers and sons.
Cohen’s music and verse will be woven throughout the film supported by his blessing of the project prior to his death in 2016 and the continuing support of his management.
https://www.screendaily.com/news/cellul ... 91.article
The film is a Canadian-Irish co-production produced by Bissonnette’s long-time collaborator Corey Marr, respected Canadian producer Marie-Claude Poulin and Ireland’s Martina Niland.
“I’m extremely proud of our involvement in Death Of Ladies’ Man. The script literally sings with its significant messages about the ephemeral but vital nature of life,” said Celluloid Dreams president Hengameh Panahi.
“It’s vibrant with humour and poetry, which is no surprise given the influence of Leonard Cohen, truly one the seminal artists of our time. Samuel O’Shea is an unforgettable character—viewers will be with him every step of the way on his journey.”
Producer Corey Marr added: “We are thrilled to be partnering with Celluloid Dreams to bring Matt Bissonnette’s beautiful film to the world, and we are excited about the passion and confidence Hengameh, Charlotte [Mickie] and the rest of the Celluloid team have shown in the film’s worldwide prospects.”
Production begins in Montreal and the west-coast of Ireland this summer.
The movie will be made with the support of Monte Rosso Productions, Bell Media’s The Harold Greenberg Fund and The Movie Network (TMN), and The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). Mongrel Media is the Canadian distributor and Element Pictures will release in Ireland.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Re: NEW FILM: Death of a Ladies’ Man

Post by LisaLCFan »

Sounds interesting! I'm glad it's not a biography...
B4real

Post by B4real »

Yes, Lisa indeed it does!
Just the fact that Leonard gave his approval and that still continues makes you think it is definitely worth a look. Interesting to speculate how they will visually depict the songs - some images readily spring to mind :)

Another link -
He's your man. Gabriel Byrne for Leonard Cohen-inspired film
https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0 ... ard-cohen/
The drama is written and directed by Canadian filmmaker Matt Bissonnette, who has used Cohen's music in his previous work.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

The film is playing at the Mayfair Theatre in Ottawa from March 12th to 18th.

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

It's available to rent or buy on iTunes in Canada.
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

This film is screening in Melbourne, at several cinemas, from May 20. 8)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

This film is on Australian (definitely in Qld) free to air TV tonight. See SBS World Movies at 8:30pm in this link (click on "rest of day" at the top of the page)- https://www.ourguide.com.au/tv_guide.ph ... 052023&t=0

I haven't seen it yet so it seems tonight will be the time to do so. It's good to see/hear LC's songs on Aussie TV 8)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Thanks, Bev.
It is on the schedule for South Australia this evening too.
I have just set the timer on my recording device.
I won't watch it all today as it finishes after my bedtime!!

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

AlanM wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:29 am ......I won't watch it all today as it finishes after my bedtime!!
Alan
He, he! Now that made me laugh because my bedtime is about the time the film starts and I could be in la-la land during it. Hopefully, my sore eye will hold up and if I do happen to nod off, I'm sure that familiar voice will wake me up ;-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Well, I did watch all of this but only because I was waiting for the LC songs and scenes which of course were the best parts. Normally not my sort of movie. Nevermind.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

B4real wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:33 pm Well, I did watch all of this but only because I was waiting for the LC songs and scenes which of course were the best parts. Normally not my sort of movie. Nevermind.
I didn't make it past about 40 minutes. I agree it is not my sort of movie either. How long did it take for Leonard to be involved?

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

Part of the opening scene was a shot of LC's mural on that downtown Montreal building.
I do distinctly remember one scene which I liked the best was at the ice hockey match when they played the Canadian national anthem and it was Bird On The Wire, ha!

Return to “News”