Joke

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
SWITZ

Post by SWITZ » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:47 pm

..UH...isn't rendering the base stuff they make dog food and fertilizer from? :?

Craig :)
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:48 pm

(click)

I think it's pronounced Jarkko - Eija - I'm not so sure about.

Linda.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:56 pm

SWITZ ~ It has several meanings, but, yes, that's one of them....along with the ingredients they use for making soaps, etc.

Linda and Paula ~ You pronounce Jarkko like I always had [until NYC] and unlike what I always had for Eija. However, we were both wrong on both counts. Linda ~ There's a fine difference, of which I'm unsure at this point, or how to write it, even if I were sure, on Jarkko's name. However, it is said with a 'soft' J, i.e. a "Y" sound ~ but, then, in addition, there's another name that's very similar, and as I recall, one has a rolling "r" and one doesn't; or, perhaps, it has to do with where the syllabic emphasis falls. On Eija ~ as I recall ~ it's correctly pronounced "A-yuh," with emphasis on the "A." I couldn't believe how wrong I had been on both :lol: .

~ Lizzie
Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:35 am

SWITZ - rendering is what you do with plaster.

Jarkko and Eija please introduce yourselves on Hydra to avoid any strange pronounciations of your names :lol: Lizzie I am relying on you.
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:58 am

ok, paula, you got the definition correct. i know that you all are sitting in front of computers, so that's what i figured would happen. hahaha. i didn't think most of you knew what it meant anyway, so i expected you had to look it up somehow.

however, i'm not sure about lizzy's pronunciation. insanitor's is wrong though. the main accented syllable is the first: TEAR-uh-ta-jin, or as the dictionary would have it: tə-răt’ə-jən

um, those little boxes are supposed to be upside-down e's, but apparently this board won't allow it.

also, you didn't catch the greek translation. "tera" is greek for "monster," and the suffix "-gen" means, well, "of the genes."
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:49 am

I was still off, but at least had the first syllable right in its sound and emphasis, and the jin part right, too. Other than that, wrong.

Paula ~ You eavesdrop on one side of someone[s] greeting them, and I'll eavesdrop on the other side, and whoever gets it 'correctly' first, step in front of them [to signal the other to keep their mouth shut], and then greet them loudly, slowly, and clearly enough for the other to 'get' it. [I think we've got a plan. Not strong enough on this one for you to just blanket rely on me :lol: .]

~ Lizzie
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:26 am

:lol: Tear-ato-gen, it depends on which english speaking country you come from. here in the antipodes my pronunciation is right (20 thousand risk assessors can't be wrong), and yours is weird. I've mainly used the word in the form teratogenic, though and the emphasis is always on the second syllable.Of course, it's your screen name so I think you can pronounce it anyway you like.

So, this is interesting, how do you say aluminium? I bet you say Aloo-muh-nuhm.
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

Buddha
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:29 am

:lol: I just read switzs post and paulas reply about rendering...yeah, rendering is what happens when cattle and chickens go to "heaven" - they render them down and make dog food. Or chicken and cattle food (see BSE story for more info on that!)

Buddha
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:03 am

well, you spelled it with an extra "i," but i would say a-LOO-min-um.
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
Paula

Post by Paula » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:40 pm

A couple decide to go for a meal on their anniversary and after some deliberation decide on their local Chinese restaurant. They peruse the menu and finally agree to share the chef's special 'Chicken Surprise'. The waiter brings over the meal, served in a lidded cast iron pot. Just as the wife is about to start in on the meal, the lid of the pot rises a tiny amount and she briefly sees two beady little eyes looking around before the lid slams back down. "Good grief, did you see that?" she asks her husband. He hasn't so she asks him to look in the pot. He reaches for it and again the lid rises, and again he sees two beady little eyes looking around before it firmly slams back down. Rather perturbed he calls the waiter over, explains what is happening and demands an explanation. “Well sir," says the waiter, "What did you order?"

"We both chose the same," he replies, "the Chicken Surprise."

"Oh, I do apologise, this is my fault," says the waiter.........
> > >*
> > >*
> > >*
> > >*
> > >*
> > >*
> > >"I've brought you the Peking duck."

Al-a-minium
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:26 pm

Subject: Butch, the rooster.

John the farmer was in the fertilized egg business. He had several
hundred young (hens) layers called pullets and eight or ten roosters, whose job was to fertilize the eggs.

The farmer kept records and any rooster that didn't perform went
into the soup pot and was replaced.That took an awful lot of his time so he bought a set of tiny bells and attached them to his roosters.

Each bell had a different tone so John could tell from a distance,
which rooster was performing. Now he could sit on the porch and fill out
an efficiency report simply by listening to the bells.

The farmers favorite rooster was old Butch, a very fine specimen he
was too. But on this particular morning John noticed old Butch's bell hadn't rung at all! John went to investigate. The other roosters were chasing pullets, bells-a-ringing. The pullets, hearing the roosters coming, would run for cover.

BUT, to Farmer John's amazement, Butch had his bell in his beak, so
it couldn't ring. He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the next one.

John was so proud of Butch, he entered him in the county fair and
Butch became an overnight sensation among the judges.

The result...

The judges not only awarded Butch the "No Bell Piece Prize" but they
also awarded him the "Pulletsurprise" as well. Clearly Butch was a Politician in the making. Who else could figure out how to win two of the most highly coveted awards on our planet by being the best at sneaking up on the populace and screwing them when they weren't paying attention?

:wink: :roll: :wink:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:29 pm

I loved your joke, Paula :wink: . I'm a pushover for puns :lol: .

~ Lizzie
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:03 am

T

It is spelt with an extra "i". we say alu-MIN-ium.

Hmmm...how do you spell spelt/spelled?

Buddha
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:38 am

we spell it "aluminum," without that extra "i." so henceforth the accent is different. if it had the extra "i," i would have pronounced it just like you did, a-loo-MIN-e-um. but we accent the second syllable, so that it's a-LOO-mi-num.

lizzy and paula, great jokes, but so tame. anyone got any good dirty jokes? once in fourth grade i got in trouble for telling a dirty joke to this kid who WAS a friend of mine. he went home and told it to his mom and his mom called the principal. what a dumbass. anyway........
Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:19 am

This one is for you Paula :wink:

Three rugby players are sitting in the maternity ward of a hospital waiting for the imminent birth of their respective children. One is a Welshman, one English and the other a West Indian.

They are all very nervous and pacing the floor - as you do in these situations. All of a sudden the doctor bursts through the double doors saying, "Gentlemen you won't believe this but your wives have all had their babies within 5 minutes of each other." The men are beside themselves with happiness and joy. "And", said the doctor, "They have all had little boys." The fathers are ecstatic and congratulate each other over and over. "However we do have one slight problem," the doctor said.

"In all the confusion we may have mixed the babies up getting them to the nursery and would be grateful if you could join us there to try and help identify them."

With that the Welshman raced past the doctor and bolted to the nursery. Once inside he picked up a black infant saying, "There's no doubt about it, this boy is mine!" The doctor looked bewildered and said, "Well sir of all the babies I would have thought that maybe this child could be of West Indian descent."

"Maybe", said the Welshman, "but one of the other two is English and I'm not taking the risk."

Return to “News”