Farewell to Barbara Cruickshank (aka Babz)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Elizabeelzebubeth

Farewell to Barbara Cruickshank (aka Babz)

Post by Elizabeelzebubeth »

Earlier today I read the sad news, posted by her family on Facebook, that Barbara Cruickshank (aka Babz and many other nicknames) has died. Any of you who were part of the Leonard Cohen newsgroup back in the Wild West days will remember her as a central and beloved figure. She was highly intelligent, very funny and insightful, kind-hearted and diplomatic. She was also a fine poet with a natural gift. Anybody who remembers her will remember the acrostic poems she wrote for the birthdays of newsgroup members. She also posted occasionally on the LC Forum in the early 2000s.

Barbara was a devoted Cohen fan from way back. She was about the same age as Leonard, and I believe she had lived in Montreal for some period of time, although she was living in New Hampshire back in the newsgroup days.

She was unfortunately unable to attend the Montreal 2000 LC Event, where so many newsgroup members met up in person for the first time, but I did meet her in person at least once and she was really wonderful.

Communication from her had decreased in recent years, I imagine due to declining health. Judging by FB posts from her family, I think she was in a residential facility for seniors. Family posted photos occasionally. Barbara was always beaming, with that beautiful wide smile of hers.

I’ll keep my eyes open for an obituary online and will post a link if there is one.

Ave atque vale, Beelzebarb. You will be missed.

Her FB profile picture:
Attachments
301139_2177486289006_8210063_n.jpg
lazariuk

Re: Farewell to Barbara Cruickshank (aka Babz)

Post by lazariuk »

The memories of her are all very fond. Loved her birthday poems and her often times being a bringer of smiles and laughter.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

was in touch with barbara a very short while ago.
in almost every communication she would affectionately sign
"i adore you, you know that, don't you!"

she will be remembered, and greatly missed :-(
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Sad news. She was one of the first participants of the activities in the community gathered around Leonard's work, since the mid-90's, starting in the days of the old alt.music-leonardcohen Newsgroup. She had also signed to our Hydra Event in 2002 but never made it to the island. Her photo has been on the Beautiful Losers Gallery at the Files for about 20 years. We have lost a friend. Rest In Peace Barbara.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
dar

Post by dar »

Barbara was an amazing woman and talented poet. I am so grateful to have had a Cohen connection with her for many years and to have corresponded with her not too long ago. She was so funny and always had some wonderful insight to share with me, sometimes witty, sometimes serious; but always brilliant.

Shine on Babz. I will always remember you.
Elizabeelzebubeth

I am so glad to hear that other people had been in touch with her. I hope I didn't misspeak about communication having decreased; I didn't have an email address for her anymore and only knew that she was on Facebook very minimally these days. I hope other people will fill in any details that I don't have.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I remember Barbara from the LC chatroom. She was always friendly, humorous and knowledgeable. May she rest in peace.
dar

Post by dar »

I just heard from Babz' daughter and am posting her message. I know many of us will want to order this spoken word recording; and for those who didn't know Barbara, this publication may give a glimpse of her talent. Her daughter writes: "Thanks Darlene. That means so much. Our family is in deep mourning after this profound loss of my mom. I have a publishing company and have recorded her reciting 10 of her poems. We are creating a spoken word album called “The Gypsy Wife”. Pass the word and I’ll let you know when it’s finished if you’re interested."
Elizabeelzebubeth

Thank you, Dar! I remember her family mentioning before that this was in the works. Barbara was such a good writer.
Kush

Post by Kush »

I had a couple of exchanges with her a long time ago. She was very kind. RIP.
abby

Post by abby »

She was a protectress to my teenaged self around the old newsgroup, & lord was she kind.
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

Oh, no. Not dear Babs? I'm just now seeing this. How well I remember her poems and insightful comments on all things Cohen. As well, she & I would belly up to Bill's Bar & trade verses of The Rubaiiyat and The Ballad of Reading Gaol and De Profundis. From the Bible to Bukovsky, she was delightfully literate. And such a gentle, healing soul, often offering backrubs when anyone was hurting.She'll be missed.
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

lazariuk wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:24 pm The memories of her are all very fond. Loved her birthday poems and her often times being a bringer of smiles and laughter.
Hey Jack, Do you remember this conversation you & Barbara & I had?

I will bring you gold apples
And grapes made of rubies
That have shown in the eyes
Of the Prince of the breeze

One of my fondest memories of the newsgroup.

Return to “News”