Re: "A new album of original Leonard Cohen songs is in the works"

Post by mary emma »

Thanks Maarten
also mentioned here https://www.vanityfair.fr/actualites/ar ... nnee/74187

mary emma
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

how about a single at som point befor november, like...now?

Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

Maybe time to use the "P" work.
:roll:
Clementine

Post by Clementine »

For non-French speakers:

'Cohen' is to be released in November, on the Columbia label, and will have 12 songs. Tribute concerts are being planned to co-incide with it in New York, Montreal and Paris.
MargRz

Post by MargRz »

All I can say is HALLELUJAH !
panjandrum

Post by panjandrum »

Hmmm. Gotta say I have mixed (actually mostly negative) feelings about the tribute concerts. I think I would really rather see Live in Dublin projected in-full at each venue, possibly with some form of live accompaniment or a few performances from the musicians involved directly in his last world tours. No cover versions etc, but rather celebrations of Leonards works as he intended them to be. Alternatively, it might be nice to have a movie in the form of chronological highlights of his performances; starting with his poetry and continuing through the last video recordings of him

Other than Acordes Con Leonard Cohen I've never heard or seen a tribute to him that I felt did him any justice whatsoever. I've actually found them deeply along the lines of "downright embarrassing". Unless they are handled incredibly well they almost come off as mockery. I realize that's not intentional, but let's face it, Leonard is a nearly impossible act to follow.

Sure hope this comes off well and not as puerile attempts at aggrandizement.

(P.S. Anyone know if there is a full video recording of Acordes Con Leonard Cohen available? I've found a few clips, but would love to add the entire video to my collection if it is available.)
Last edited by panjandrum on Tue May 07, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B4real

Post by B4real »

panjandrum wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:17 pm (P.S. Anyone know if there is a full video recording of Acordes Con Leonard Cohen available? I've found a few clips, but would love to add the entire video to my collection if it is available.)
A few ways you could do this in either or both links here -

https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/acordes.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV419h-iRuo
This is similar to the original 2007 CD list above but in this video the songs and poems are in a different order which I assume is probably how the concert unfolded with the exception of the encore as mentioned in the LC Files link. Maybe those who were there could enlighten us.

I have to say that before the 2012 tour started this was the first time I had seen Alex playing his violin and I totally loved it! https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... ex#p301621

enjoy!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
panjandrum

Post by panjandrum »

B4real wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:50 am
https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/acordes.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV419h-iRuo
This is similar to the original 2007 CD list above but in this video the songs and poems are in a different order which I assume is probably how the concert unfolded with the exception of the encore as mentioned in the LC Files link. Maybe those who were there could enlighten us.
Thanks! I don't know how I was unable to find that YouTube video. Exactly what I wanted.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, my Gosh!!
I simply wait, and feel nothing but gratitude.
Cleeeearly, some/many(?) prefer to impose their *own* expectations and preferences on a project that has nothing to do with them (really). And, Peter, now you want a single released ahead of time 😁? What is so offensive about simply waiting?

As Lisa said, You Want It Darker will forever remain Leonard's final album and final goodbyes. It appears that releasing that one was a priority over these songs. In his state of being at the time, he reasonably could have known he may not be able to get both completed... so he prioritized what we already have been given. Adam did an impeccable job of honouring his father's wishes on it. I trust Adam with whatever direction he was given regarding the upcoming release. If you don't like the music, you'll still have Leonard's words. NOTHING will EVER taint Leonard's reputation of/for excellence.

Gratitude was an emotion and state of mind and being that Leonard practiced and believed in... how well all of us would do to emulate that at this time, if for NO other reason than to honour him posthumously.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

November! The month I will see my first grandchild and now another set of Leonard songs I have not yet heard yet!
I am overjoyed! :D
Vickie
yentek

Post by yentek »

Here is an interview with a well known Montreal producer who reports that he did some work on the album.
Good news!

https://www.bantermagazine.com/posts/in ... d-bilerman
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Thanks for the interview link, yentek. It made me smile.
Bilerman: I did some recording on the forthcoming posthumous Leonard Cohen record that I can attest is gonna break a million hearts.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Michel_Griffin

Post by Michel_Griffin »

davidrichards wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:34 pm I know that I am probably in a minority but I sincerely hope that Patrick Leonard has nothing to do with any possible new release. As a musician and lifelong fan of Leonard Cohen from my first encounter in the 1960's, I do not think that his contributions have enhanced those recordings. Indeed for me it has detracted from the finished product.
At the risk of revealing my ignorance, why do you object so strongly to Patrick Leonard?
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

It is now almost a year since we first had news of the posthumous album from Adam and some months since the French press told us that the album would be coming out in November, accompanied by tribute concerts in Paris, Montreal and New York.

Does anyone have any further concrete news or updates?

Wendy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Wendy, there will be no tribute concerts this time (this is confirmed by the management).

The album of ten new songs is scheduled to November, but we don't need to wait so long to hear the first song, and maybe some more before the CD release date.

Eva Poola sent us a link to Canadian Post: https://www.rpsc.org/canadapost.htm
If you check the website, you'll learn that they are going to release LC stamps on September 21. More to follow shortly, as soon as the info can be made public.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “Thanks for the Dance”