Book of Longing: Audio Book, narrated by Leonard

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
meglos2000

Book of Longing: Audio Book, narrated by Leonard

Post by meglos2000 »

Hi,

Just noticed that Amazon UK are listing an audio book version of BOL for release in early Oct.

Does anyone know if these will be the recordings Leonard made for the Philip Glass project. Would be great if so.

Book of Longing https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G5DVJTJ/ ... FBb8JZWAY3

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mutti

Re: Book Longing: Audio Book

Post by mutti »

Hi John
It would be my dream that this book has Leonard himself reading all the poems from the Book of Longing out loud.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Book of Longing: Audio Book, narrated by Leonard

Post by jarkko »

Les, there are moments when your dreams come true. Tuesday October 2 is that moment.

• Book of Longing
• By: Leonard Cohen
Narrated by: Leonard Cohen
• Length: 3 hrs and 12 mins
• Unabridged Audiobook
• Release date: 02-10-18
• Language: English
• Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd

(This was confirmed by Robert Kory to Marie and me)

I edited the subject line of this thread, too!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

jarkko wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:52 am Les, there are moments when your dreams come true. Tuesday October 2 is that moment.

• Book of Longing
• By: Leonard Cohen
Narrated by: Leonard Cohen
• Length: 3 hrs and 12 mins
• Unabridged Audiobook
• Release date: 02-10-18
• Language: English
• Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd

(This was confirmed by Robert Kory to Marie and me)

I edited the subject line of this thread, too!
would it be just in digital format not physical CD?
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
Judy

Post by Judy »

Wonderful news!!!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Random House's webpage only lists audio download
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books ... 0771024665

They also list two ISBN numbers with different prices (21 and 70 Can$)

Amazon.com gives list price 19.62 US$ https://www.amazon.com/Book-of-Longing/ ... ging+audio

Let's be P----nt for a while - the publication date is already tomorrow!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

holydove

Post by holydove »

This is amazing, wonderful news, but when I go to amazon.com (the U.S. website), using the link provided, it says " this is not available to you" & then "this title is no longer available"! :shock: Maybe that just refers to the printed book... And when I did a search for "Book of Longing audio edition", it said "0 results found". Maybe it's just not available till tomorrow or some later date, or maybe I have to sign up for for "audible books" (which has a free trial but then there is a monthly charge unless you cancel). I will try again tomorrow...& tomorrow...I can't imagine that it wouldn't be available in the U.S.; that is just not possible!
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

holydove wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 pm This is amazing, wonderful news, but when I go to amazon.com (the U.S. website), using the link provided, it says " this is not available to you" & then "this title is no longer available"! :shock: Maybe that just refers to the printed book... And when I did a search for "Book of Longing audio edition", it said "0 results found". Maybe it's just not available till tomorrow or some later date, or maybe I have to sign up for for "audible books" (which has a free trial but then there is a monthly charge unless you cancel). I will try again tomorrow...& tomorrow...I can't imagine that it wouldn't be available in the U.S.; that is just not possible!
Isn't there a button "buy with one click" that allows you to buy the audio without subscription? ( see below)

Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Just bought it online from Amazon.de for 17,46 euro. Downloaded the required Amazon Audible app on all my devices ( Sonos/Smartphone/Ipad and PC) and also the file that contains the audiobook and within minutes I had it all working. So now I can listen wherever I am on any device :D

Tip: When you log on to the Amazon Audible app make sure that your Amazon location is correct otherwise you won't be able to find your book in the library. I for instance had to select Amazon.de instead of the default Amazon.com

Have listened for 15 minutes or so and it is such a delight hearing Leonard reading his own works!
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

Got it downloaded to my phone with Audible app from Amazon UK.
Attachments
0A9BAD4C-344A-4153-9D6A-358378268C8C.jpeg
BE3543F6-1FDA-4CA9-9CE9-B2ED53680336.jpeg
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
holydove

Post by holydove »

HugoD wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:01 pm Isn't there a button "buy with one click" that allows you to buy the audio without subscription? ( see below)
Hugo, thank you so much for your efforts & your reply. However, the option to buy in any manner did not come up at amazon.com or audible.com; after trying again several times, I called "customer care" & was told that publishing rights have not been granted to the U.S. by the author or those managing his estate :shock: I was also told that i wouldn't be able to purchase the item from Amazon of another country unless I had a credit card linked to that country. I tried to do that anyway, but when I searched in amazon.ca/audible.ca, the message I received was "0 results found"; & when I went to amazon.co.uk, the item was easily found, but when I put in my credit card, the website told me that they cannot sell this item in my country! I went to the penguin website, & I don't remember what happened there, but I couldn't download from there for some reason... The U.S. amazon customer care person sent me an email address by which i could contact their "content team" & request that the item be made available here, so I sent the request. I can't imagine that Leonard's estate managers wouldn't want this available to people in the U.S., so I'm guessing maybe there is some complication with the publishing rights, & hopefully it will be sorted out at some point. For now, I guess I will just have to practice the "P' word....(or maybe acquire it from a friend, if that's possible... 8). I just wanted to post this info for the sake of making the issue known...
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Sorry to hear that, hope it will be fixed soon!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I am so frustrated. I so desperately want to hear Leonard reading these poems and have taken out an audible trial subscription via our our Prime membership at Amazon UK solely for this purpose. However because we are in Canada at the moment the audible app keeps on defaulting to amazon.ca which tells us we cannot download in this country.

Aaaagh. I have never had this problem downloading Kindle books outside the UK, though I can only buy and download from Amazon UK. I thought it would be the same for Audiobooks but apparently not.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Wendy
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:53 pm I am so frustrated. I so desperately want to hear Leonard reading these poems and have taken out an audible trial subscription via our our Prime membership at Amazon UK solely for this purpose. However because we are in Canada at the moment the audible app keeps on defaulting to amazon.ca which tells us we cannot download in this country.

Aaaagh. I have never had this problem downloading Kindle books outside the UK, though I can only buy and download from Amazon UK. I thought it would be the same for Audiobooks but apparently not.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Wendy
Wendy

I send you a suggestions via a PM.

Return to “News”