Tony Palmer releases 1972 concert footage on DVD

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
shortestblondestgirl

Re: Tony Palmer releases 1972 concert footage on DVD

Post by shortestblondestgirl »

I saw a screening of this last night in Dartmouth (UK) introduced in person by Tony Palmer who was also available after to sign copies of the dvd (on sale at the screening). The tale of how this 'new' film came about is remarkable, and how Picasso' s estate gave permission for the Dove to be used is amazing and so very moving.
It was a capturing evening, leaving me emotionally wrung out, so aware of what we have lost with Leonard's passing, and in love with the music all over again.
I don't know whether this is 'on tour' as such but if you get the opportunity to go to such an evening, go - you won't regret it!
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Is it possible to order this from somewhere ?
I'm not able to find it for sale in the usual places . . .
London 25/7/1985
London, Royal Albert Hall 30/5/1988 & 10/5/1993 :
Manchester Opera House 20/6/2008 : Vienna Konzerthaus 24/9/2008 :
Cardiff 8/11/2008 : Manchester 30/11/2008 : Berlin 2/7/2009 :
Lille 25/9/2010 : Paris 29/9/2012 : Rome 07/07/2013 :
Bournemouth 26/08/2013
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I believe shortestblondestgirl saw a screening of Tony Palmer's "Bird" movie, presented by Palmer himself? She quoted the Picasso estate, and this makes me think of the 2010 DVD release of the movie (Picasso's dove of freedom is on the cover of the DVD). www.leonardcohenfiles.com/b-wire.html

Unfortunately the 1972 concert footage (the original topic of this thread) will not be released in the way it was announced; there is a legal issue with the rights. - This does not mean that we wouldn't get more live audio or video footage in the future, on official releases, but here we have again to exercise patience.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

jarkko wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 am
Unfortunately the 1972 concert footage (the original topic of this thread) will not be released; there is an issue with the rights. - This does not mean that we wouldn't get more live audio or video footage in the future, on official releases, but here we have again the P-word in use.
Sorry to hear this, and also a bit shocked that this info has to come from you and not Tony Palmer himself via Pledgemusic. Wonder what will happen then with the money that all the people who ordered have payed on the several items that were up for sale there. We all know that “right issues “ can take forever to sort out.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

HugoD wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:30 am
jarkko wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 am
Unfortunately the 1972 concert footage (the original topic of this thread) will not be released; there is an issue with the rights. - This does not mean that we wouldn't get more live audio or video footage in the future, on official releases, but here we have again the P-word in use.
Sorry to hear this, and also a bit shocked that this info has to come from you and not Tony Palmer himself via Pledgemusic. Wonder what will happen then with the money that all the people who ordered have payed on the several items that were up for sale there. We all know that “right issues “ can take forever to sort out.
I was just wondering the same thing Hugo. The last I heard from Pledgemusic was that there was a delay on “some items”. That was almost a month ago .....

Wendy
Heather1969

Post by Heather1969 »

Hi All

This is the response I got from pledge music. The question I ask is below the answer I got back. Sorry it’s a bit confusing but I’m sure you can all work it out!

Hi Heather,

Thank you for getting in touch,

The fulfilment date is set for the 26th of October, around this time your order will be shipped,

Once it's been despatched you will receive a shipping confirmation,

Do let me know if you have any further queries and I will be happy to help,

Best wishes,

Josefine
PledgeMusic

Heather
Oct 16, 04:51 EDT

Hi, is this dvd going ahead, I have heard it is not. Also, has the money already been taken from my account?

Many thanks
Heather
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Heather ,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to contact Pledge Music. There answer seems reassuring but also opposite of what Jarkko posted here. We all know that If anybody is well informed here it must be Jarkko. So there still remains some doubt here, but October 26 is coming soon so we will see what happens ;-)
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi Wendy, Hugo and Heather

Yes, let's wait what happens next week or so, but don't get your hopes up... I very much doubt Tony Palmer will be allowed to officially release any concert footage he has access to. But like Jarkko said: we might be lucky in the future with other official releases directly from Sony...

Please keep us informed with updates if something changes via PlegdeMusic (I ordered this aswell, so will keep an eye on it too of course).

Warm greetings
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I just had to go into my account to change the delivery address (I had to make arrangements for it to go elsewhere when the delivery date was put back to 28 September as we were on an extended trip to Canada then) and I see the fulfillment date has been updated to 26 October. I don’t really believe it given Jarkko’s comments but, as Hugo says, that’s only a few days away now so we might as well wait and see what happens.

Heather - they took my money mid August, when I placed my order. You can check this in your account.

Wendy

***That's interesting. I will ask Leonard's management for update.
The last info we have got from Los Angeles says this project was not going to happen / Jarkko***
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

I also find it a bit worrisome that the shop for all the offered item for this pledge seems to be closed. I tried and all the items that were sold before can not be ordered at this time.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

The latest expected fulfillment date of 26 October has been and gone and there is no sign of anything happening. I have written to Pledge Music but haven’t had a reply. I imagine they are waiting for answers themselves ......

Wendy
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:53 pm The latest expected fulfillment date of 26 October has been and gone and there is no sign of anything happening. I have written to Pledge Music but haven’t had a reply. I imagine they are waiting for answers themselves ......

Wendy
I did exactly the same :lol: . This is the email I wrote:

"quote"
Oct 27, 17:15 EDT

I have been informed that there a “right issues “ concerning the material that is being sold in this pledge. This would mean that the material is not ready for release in the near future. This information comes from the LC forum , they are generally very well informed about anything connected to LC. I would therefore like to know and, or get an confirmation that the items have been sent or will be sent in the next few days. If the items will not be sent in the next week or so I would like to know how to cancel the order and get my money back.

"unquote"

This was there immediate (auto) reply:

"quote"

Hi, thank you for getting in touch! Your request 442474 has been received. Please keep a reference of this number.

We are experiencing an extremely high volume of requests but will do our very best to respond to you as quickly as we possibly can. Please be assured that your request has been received and we will respond.

In the meantime, do take a look at our FAQ where we hope you can find the answer you're looking for.

As always, we really appreciate your patience and ask that you provide as much detail as possible when sending in requests. That way, our Customer Support Team can find a solution for you as quickly and efficiently as possible.

-Team PledgeMusic

"unquote"

Lets see what happens in the next few days
Heather1969

Post by Heather1969 »

Hi All

Direct from the horses mouth. I sent a cheeky email direct asking if it was still going a head. Tony has very kindly said I can post his response here.

Thanks.
Ah, I assumed you were from the Pledge Music organisation.
I'm afraid you'll just have to be a bit patient.
It's definitely coming.
Apologies.
TONY P
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Heather1969 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:24 pm Hi All

Direct from the horses mouth. I sent a cheeky email direct asking if it was still going a head. Tony has very kindly said I can post his response here.

Thanks.
Ah, I assumed you were from the Pledge Music organisation.
I'm afraid you'll just have to be a bit patient.
It's definitely coming.
Apologies.
TONY P
Heather, thank you so much for your message here. It seems reassuring, however I have 2 problems with the answer Tony Palmer gives:

1. It is not specific, we are used to the "p"word but he should be more specific about informing us what the reasons of delay are and when the release will be done. This absence of specific info and the closing of the webshop in this pledge makes me worry that there is much more than just a delay.

2. Why is communication depended on actions taken by participants of his project on Pledgemusic? I would expect direct communications from Tony Palmer himself on any news and/or delay. He has the whole "update section" on the website of pledgemusic to post this kind of messages on. It hasn't be used since august!
Heather1969

Post by Heather1969 »

Hi

In fairness I didn’t ask for dates or timelines. To be honest I didn’t expect a reply at all!

I am happy to wait if the end result is new glorious footage of Leonard.

Heather

Return to “News”