leonard cohen - lots for sale at christie's, london, 11th july, 2018

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
sebmelmoth2003

leonard cohen - lots for sale at christie's, london, 11th july, 2018

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

empty your money boxes if you wish to bid!!

First edition of Leonard Cohen’s first book of poems, written in 1956, and presented to Marianne Ihlen in November 1960. Cohen had bought a house in Hydra in September 1960 and had only just met Marianne, who would become one his greatest muses. Let Us Compare Mythologies is a young poet experimenting with styles and beginning to explore themes ? Judeo-Christian imagery, philosophy, sexuality, death, a world of violent contrasts ? that would define his future literary and musical careers.

Octavo (203 x 135mm). 5 illustrated plates by Canadian artist Freda Guttman (tiny marginal stain in two leaves). Original black cloth, lettered in silver on spine (without the dustjacket). Autograph inscription in blue ink: 'For Marianne / with my love / Leonard / November 1960'. Provenance: by descent from Marianne Ihlen.
------------------
COHEN, Leonard (1934-2016). The Spice-Box of Earth. [Toronto/Montreal:] McClelland and Stewart Limited, 1961.

First hardcover edition of Cohen’s second book of poetry, inscribed to his muse, Marianne. The book brought Cohen a measure of early literary acclaim, but despite the influential Canadian critic Robert Weaver's assessment of Cohen as 'the best young poet in English Canada', Cohen himself refused the label: 'I think the term poet is a very exalted term and should be applied to a man at the end of his work [...]. I would never assume that title unless it's been awarded me by a very good and long performance'.

Octavo (210 x 144mm). Half-title printed in green, headings in red, other text in black, numerous illustrations by Frank Newfield. Original patterned boards backed in black cloth, printed portrait vignette of the author, titled in red on upper cover, lettered in gilt on spine (without the dust-jacket). Autograph inscription in green ink: 'To Marianne / with all my love / Leonard / June 8 1961 / Montreal'. Provenance: by descent from Marianne Ihlen.
------------------
COHEN, Leonard (1934-2016). Beautiful Losers. New York: The Viking Press, 1966.

Presentation copy to Marianne of the first edition of Cohen’s second and final novel, written amid hallucinatory bouts of fasting and amphetamine-taking in Hydra between 1964-1965. An early work of Canadian postmodern metafiction, Cohen couldn’t get it published in Britain because, with its vivid descriptions of sex, homosexuality and bisexuality, it was considered too obscene. 'They didn’t realise that I wasn’t turning people on to sex but putting it down'.

Octavo (213 x 135mm). Original black cloth boards, lettered in silver and gilt on spine (without the dust-jacket, a few faint marks, spine somewhat faded, front joint loosening). Autograph sketch of a landscape with inscription in green ink: 'For Marianne / all my love / Leonard / Montreal / April 1966'. Provenance: by descent from Marianne Ihlen.
-----------------
COHEN, Leonard (1934-2016). The Spice-Box of Earth. Toronto/Montreal: McClelland and Stewart Limited, 1961.

A signed copy of the revised edition of Cohen’s second poetry collection.

Octavo (210 x 144mm). Original card covers, printed portrait vignette of the author, titled in gold on upper cover and spine (some faint creases, tiny chips at foot of spine). Signed 'Leonard Cohen 1965'. Provenance: by descent from Marianne Ihlen.
---
[COHEN, Leonard (1934-2016)] and [IHLEN, Marianne (1935-2016)]. A sterling silver pocket mirror by Cartier and a Birks 10k McGill University debating key ring.

Two objects of poignant significance in Leonard Cohen's life: the mirror he gave Marianne in the early 1960s, after they travelled together by car from Greece to Oslo to finalise her divorce from the Norwegian writer Axel Jensen; and his debating keyring from McGill University, which he attended in the 1950s ('[Cohen] shone in debate. He had a natural flair, as well as a taste, for using language with precision').

'Marianne had turned 27. Leonard was 28. He had given Marianne a small round silver pocket mirror and said that he had never taken such pleasure from a human face. They would go hand in hand down the streets of the Greek quarters in Montreal, with their small tavernas and bouzouki music that would remind them of the days on Hydra' (K. Hesthamar, So Long, Marianne, Ei kjaerleikshistorie, Oslo, 2008, p.138, translated from the original Norwegian).

A vintage sterling silver mirror by Cartier, c.1920s, 54mm in diameter (lightly scratched). [With]: A Birks 10k gold keyring with the crest of McGill University, 29 x 11mm. Provenance: by descent from Marianne Ihlen.

Contact us
Contact Client Service

info@christies.com

New York +1 212 636 2000

London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

infoasia@christies.com

Asia +852 2760 1766

Robert Tyrwhitt

rtyrwhitt@christies.com

+44 (0)20 7389 2151
-------
A vintage sterling silver mirror by Cartier, c.1920s, 54mm in diameter (lightly scratched). [With]: A Birks 10k gold keyring with the crest of McGill University, 29 x 11mm. Provenance: by descent from Marianne Ihlen.
----
[COHEN, Leonard (1934-2016)]. An ECCO sterling silver bracelet.

An Electric Chain Co. of Canada (Toronto, Ont.) sterling silver bracelet inscribed 'Leonard N. Cohen', probably 1940s, 190mm (light scratches). Provenance: by descent from Marianne Ihlen.

leonard lots : https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/sea ... ntry=cohen

all the lots :

https://www.christies.com/salelanding/i ... saletitle=
-----------------------
illustrated article on christie's website :

‘It was a beautiful slow movie’ — The story of Leonard Cohen and his greatest muse...

https://www.christies.com/features/Leon ... 305-1.aspx
HugoD

Re: leonard cohen - lots for sale at christie's, london, 11th july, 2018

Post by HugoD »

Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
sebmelmoth2003

Re: leonard cohen - lots for sale at christie's, london, 11th july, 2018

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

sorry about that, Hugo.

i usually check before i post but forgot to do so on this occasion.

Return to “News”