Tower of Song Tribute on USA TV/DVD Release

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
bigdee

Tower of Song Tribute on USA TV/DVD Release

Post by bigdee »

Hello All,

I Was channel surfing here in the USA this evening and came across the end of the Tower of Song tribute concert on a local PBS Channel (Public Broadcasting) in the Philadelphia area during one of their fund raising events. During the breaks in the show they were advertising an "Exclusive to PBS" DVD release of the complete concert with bonus footage from the Cohen Family Archive of LC on Greece, unreleased concert footage from Australia and New Zealand concerts, and unreleased family photos. The DVD is a free gift for a $10 a month pledge billed once a month for a year or a one time pledge of $120. The Philadelphia area showings are on PBS channel 39 out of Allentown PA and they are rebroadcasting it this Sunday June 18th at 5:30PM. There will also be a showing of it in the New Jersey/New York City area on NJTV public broadcasting channel 23 on July 12th at 9PM, July 14th at 1:30AM and 4:30PM, July 15th at 1PM. I would imagine that's during their fund raising drives so the DVD should also be available through them when the time comes. I would imagine it is/will be showing on most if not all the public broadcasting stations throughout the USA in the coming months so be on the look out for it on your local station during their fund raising times.

Cheers,
Dave
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Mabeanie1

Re: Tower of Song Tribute on USA TV/DVD Release

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thanks for the update Dave. It’s nice to have news of a DVD albeit in what appears to be a very limited market.

There has been a lot of press coverage lately about the losses made by the Tower of Song project. Surely they could turn the situation around by getting the DVD out there in the worldwide markets asap before people forget it ever happened and lose interest?? There are a LOT of people outside North America who are waiting to see this, not just those who were there at the Bell Centre that night but the many, many people who couldn’t be there for whatever reason, LC fans and fans of the various artists involved alike.

Wendy
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Hi Wendy,

I did not know all that was going on with the project. I never saw any press saying there was losses mounting on the project. Do you happen to have any links to anything posted online explaining the situation? I just did a google search and all I came up with was various old articles dating from around the time of the event explaining who was going to be at the show or reviews of it after it just happened. The only recent articles I found are all related to the PBS showing of the concert here in the USA. It would be interesting to read what's going on across the pond with this.

Thanks,
Dave
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

I am also surprised to hear that the event in Montreal was not financially successful. It was sold out and many of us have experienced the “ambitious “ ticket / VIP package prices at the venue. However it saddens me most knowing that the revenue of this concert was destined to the charities Leonard selected. It would sugges that they were the first victims of this situation.

So yes, I am also very interested in any article concerning the financial outcome of the tribute concert.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

bigdee wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:31 am Do you happen to have any links to anything posted online explaining the situation?

Thanks,
Dave
https://www.ledevoir.com/culture/529651 ... -financier

Allan Showalter also wrote a feature based on the Le Devoir article at Cohencentric:

https://cohencentric.com/2018/06/08/nov ... cial-loss/

Wendy
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Thanks for the heads-up bigdee, will watch on PBS Channel 39 later today. Since I am not sure about which version the DVD being offered is, will probably wait to buy the longer version when it is eventually released.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Thanks Wendy for the links with the info of the financial outcome of the tribute. What I feared has happened, no funds where left for the selected charities :cry: . The cost of registration of the concert seems to be the reason. On the other hand, I would be foolish not to bring a DVD / Blu-ray of the concert since the money has been spent making the footage and it is available. It would contribute in recovering some of the cost.

The good news is that there will be a documentary ready somewhere in the fall this year/ Something to look forward to!
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Thanks for the links to the articles about the finical woes of the project. Sorry to hear all this is going on. I did get to watch the full program last night during the rebroadcast. It was a lot shorter than I had hoped. I think the program ran just over 1 hour after you subtract for the times they interrupted it to ask for donations to the station. I didn't see the longer Canadian broadcast so I have no idea what was different in this version from that. For me my favorite part was finally getting to hear Leonard's unreleased studio version of "Can't Make The Hills" aka "Book of Longing" that I had read was played at the concert during some filmed portions of the program. I am hoping there are other gems like that in the vaults and that they will be released one day on a future album. I hope they release this complete concert on Blu Ray sometime soon too!

Cheers,
Dave

Return to “News”