TEN YEARS 2008-2018

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
tomsakic

TEN YEARS 2008-2018

Post by tomsakic »

Today, May 11 2018, marks exactly ten years of Leonard Cohen's "comeback".

The world tour (his first since 1993) started on May 11 2008 in Fredericton in Canada, and as we all know, the history of popular music changed when tour finished only on December 21, 2013, five years later - and we can say, three greatest studio albums, many live albums, topping the charts etc. later.

For all of us remembering those pioneer days maybe it seems little like a dream, as Leonard went into the legend, and it seems surreal that he was gone for good in 2016, only 8 years later, and that it's two xears since his passing, and TEN years since "all this" begun. He wrote at least two chapters of his life since 2008 - one being The Grand Tour 2008-2013, and another being two of his greatest albums after that tour finished.

Tom
mutti

Re: TEN YEARS 2008-2018

Post by mutti »

Thank you Tom. It still is hard to believe Leonard is gone but he lives on in our hearts and left so much for us and future generations to enjoy. What a legend...one of a kind. Sometimes listening to a song, hearing his voice or reading a poem I can't believe how good he was/is. I feel so grateful to have been able to meet Leonard in person and to have seen him perform live. Each time I saw him in concert was unique and special His words have always been somewhere in my life since I first started reading his poetry in a high school class. How lucky we are to have experienced Leonard's music and words regardless if you saw him live or not. He will not be forgotten.
Cheers!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
its4inthemorning

Re: TEN YEARS 2008-2018

Post by its4inthemorning »

An Idea?

Tomsakic's post prompted the following idea:

Why not use this "Ten Years" thread to commemorate the concerts of the Grand Tour, one-by-one, on their tenth anniversaries?

For example, any forum members who attended the Frederickton concert could post their thoughts and recollections now. These posts would not be lengthy concert reviews (those already exist elsewhere), but would be capsule summaries of what the person recollects now, ten years later, that made that particular performance memorable to him or her. I am sure such posts would rekindle warm memories for the others that attended the concerts--and sadly, warm memories are all that remain of the Leonard Cohen concert experience.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!

Return to “News”