MAC Exhibition for LC to tour

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
B4real

MAC Exhibition for LC to tour

Post by B4real »

I don't know exactly where or specifically when but this exhibition seems to be touring from 2018 to 2022.
https://macm.org/en/touring-exhibitions ... verything/
LEONARD COHEN 2018 2022
A Crack in Everything
The Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal (MAC) will be organizing and touring Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything, the first major exhibition on the great literary songwriter Leonard Cohen.
and here too -
http://ca.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/ ... vel-voiced
While the MAC has said its show will tour from June 2018 onward, as of today, April 4, it is still unable to confirm any exact dates or venues. Blouin ARTINFO will update as and when these become available.

I suspect it will not be coming to Australia :(
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
oldfriend28

Re: MAC Exhibition for LC to tour

Post by oldfriend28 »

Oh I hope it DOES come to Australia!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

The exhibition in Montreal has been absolutely heaving this week as people are waking up to the fact that it is about to finish. I've been twice and both days have been overcrowded with long lines outside (fortunately I prebooked). I realise now just how spoilt we were to have those preview days in November. Even 9 November, the official opening day, was quiet by comparison to this week and I heard staff commenting how mad it is over the last few days. You can expect to wait 60-75 minutes to visit the Depression Chamber and it is almost impossible to get into the concert footage room, even to simply walk through. There are security people everywhere trying to control the crowds and keep things moving. The MAC has responded by adding an extra 3 days but it's hard to see how they can meet demand in the last week.

Whichever museums take the touring exhibition they're bound to have a sure fire hit on their hands.

Wendy
B4real

Post by B4real »

Wendy,
It's good you were able to go so many times!
And I'm a bit surprised to hear the volume of people visiting the exhibition!
Mabeanie1 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:51 am Whichever museums take the touring exhibition they're bound to have a sure fire hit on their hands.
We have some fine museums here downunder so maybe we could get lucky after all :)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Update:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4610206

First we take Manhattan
Montreal museum is negotiating with institutions in NYC, Prague, Mexico City and elsewhere.
The museum is in regular talks with an institution in Manhattan, as well as others in San Francisco, Copenhagen, Prague and Mexico City.

One of the challenges of touring the expansive show, however, is finding institutions that can accommodate it.
"Even big museums couldn't take the totality of the show which here occupies six large rooms," Zeppetelli said.
...so where it travels all depends on logistics! ..... But Mexico City :o
B4real

Post by B4real »

Update: First stop - San Francisco - I wonder if it will travel in the order listed above from San Francisco, but you would think Mexico City would be next :) But this is only part of the original exhibition so who knows!

http://artist-at-large.com/2018/04/05/j ... l-gallery/
https://fraenkelgallery.com/exhibitions ... hine-works
Fraenkel Gallery is presenting THE POETRY MACHINE & Other Works, by Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller, featuring the pair’s interactive tribute to the late Leonard Cohen. Made from a vintage organ, a collection of speakers and recordings of dozens of Cohen’s poems from his final book, Book of Longing, The Poetry Machine allows viewers to hear and play Cohen’s voice and texts as a haunting musical instrument. The piece, says Janet Cardiff, “creates new connections through all of the poems,” and gives participants the ability “to create new poems out of his words.” The installation debuted in an exhibition devoted to Cohen at the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal this winter. This will be its first U.S. presentation.

JANET CARDIFF & GEORGE BURES MILLER: THE POETRY MACHINE & Other Works
Exhibition Dates: May 3 – July 5, 2018
Opening Reception: Thursday, May 3, 5:30-­7:30pm

FRAENKEL GALLERY
49 Geary Street
San Francisco
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The complete Montreal exhibition is not going to San Francisco, it's the Poetry Machine!

From Rebecca Robertson. Press and Permissions Officer, Fraenkel Gallery:
I wanted to let you know about our upcoming art exhibition THE POETRY MACHINE & Other Works, which I thought might be of interest to readers of The Leonard Cohen Files and The Leonard Cohen Forum. On view from May 3 to July 5 in San Francisco, it features Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller’s interactive tribute to Leonard Cohen. The Poetry Machine is made from a vintage organ, a collection of speakers, and recordings of Cohen reciting dozens of poems from his Book of Longing, many of which have never been publicly released. The piece allows viewers to hear and play Cohen’s voice and texts as a haunting musical instrument.
Here is the complete press release:
JANET CARDIFF &
GEORGE BURES MILLER
THE POETRY MACHINE & Other Works
May 3 – July 5, 2018
Opening reception: Thursday, May 3, 5:30-7:30pm
FRAENKEL GALLERY
49 Geary Street, San Francisco

Fraenkel Gallery is pleased to present THE POETRY MACHINE & Other Works, by Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller, featuring the pair’s interactive tribute to the late Leonard Cohen. The Poetry Machine is made from a vintage organ, a collection of speakers and recordings of Cohen reciting dozens of poems from his Book of Longing, many of which have never been publicly released. The piece allows viewers to hear and play Cohen’s voice and texts as a haunting musical instrument. Says Janet Cardiff, it “creates new connections through all of the poems,” and gives participants the ability “to create new poems out of his words.” The installation debuted in an exhibition devoted to Cohen at the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal this winter. This will be its first U.S. presentation.

Also on view is Road Trip, an installation of slides made by Bures Miller’s grandfather in the 1950s, during a drive from Vancouver to New York City. Projected from a computer controlled carousel onto a standing screen, the slides show mostly empty landscapes, their color often changed by time. Accompanying them is a two-speaker recording of Cardiff and Bures Miller. In it, the artists consider what the enigmatic photographs might have meant to Anton Bures, who was traveling to New York to see a doctor for the cancer he was fighting. Cardiff and Bures Miller’s open-ended conversation uncovers questions about photography’s role in memory, time and the yearning for permanence.

In Sad Waltz and the Dancer who couldn’t dance, a robotically controlled marionette appears to play piano while a long-haired puppet dances erratically to music by Armenian composer Edward Mirzoyan. The piece premiered at the 14th Istanbul Biennial in 2015.

On view concurrently at the UC Santa Cruz Arboretum and Botanic Garden from April 7 to June 30 is FOREST (for a thousand years...), an audio installation set in a redwood grove that purposes more than 30 speakers to blend natural and manmade sounds. Commissioned for dOCUMENTA 13 in Kassel, Germany, this will be the West Coast debut of the piece, which is presented by UC Santa Cruz’s Institute of the Arts and Sciences, the San Jose Museum of Art, and UCSC’s Arboretum and Botanic Garden.

Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller are multidisciplinary artists whose work often explores sound. Their installations have been shown at the Metropolitan Museum of Art; MoMA PS1; National Gallery of Canada; and 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa, among many others. Their work is in the collections of public institutions including the Museum of Modern Art, New York; Tate, London; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and others.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
B4real

Post by B4real »

If they're splitting the exhibition up, then there's a chance The Poetry Machine and/or other sections could come to Australia and NZ. But on the downside, the original effect of viewing the complete experience as it was intended would be lost!

You know, as we were the last countries that LC toured, it seems fitting that the whole exhibition should make its way down here!

Ah well, time will reveal all - and there's that "P" word coming into play again ;-)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Bev and others - it strikes me that what you need to do is contact suitable galleries and lobby them to take the exhibition! It won't happen by itself. Most of the galleries have probably never heard of it for starters!

Wendy
B4real

Post by B4real »

Wendy, that's an interesting suggestion! And you never know what might transpire :)
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/arts ... wP1GWCmCC8
New York Times

Leonard Cohen Exhibition to Come to New York

By Sara Aridi

Nov. 13, 2018

An exhibition on the life and work of Leonard Cohen will be coming to New York next year.

“Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything,” first presented by the Musée d’Art Contemporain de Montréal, will make its first stop on a worldwide tour at the Jewish Museum in April. It will be on view there until September before traveling to Copenhagen and San Francisco.

Organized by the curators John Zeppetelli and Victor Shiffman, the multimedia exhibition features commissioned works by international artists and pays tribute to Cohen’s music, poetry and lyrics.

As the exhibition was coming together, Cohen died at 82 in November 2016. “What began as an incredible, dizzying celebration full of admiration for this great Montrealer and planetary star then necessarily also morphed into a much more solemn and commemorative experience,” Zeppetelli said.

“We’re so happy to be able to premiere the show outside of Canada, and to do it in New York is just so gratifying,” he added.

The New York show will be slightly smaller than the Montreal presentation. It will take up two full floors at the Jewish Museum, and an installation will be set up in a video viewing room on a separate floor.

Among the show’s highlights are two video installations: “The Offerings,” a piece by Kara Blake that loops clips of Cohen ruminating on the themes of his work in interviews, and “Passing Through,” an immersive, 360-degree video work that draws from 50 years of onstage moments throughout Cohen’s career.

The exhibition will also feature Cohen’s own drawings and a multimedia gallery where visitors can listen to covers of Cohen’s songs by musicians like Feist, Moby and Lou Doillon.

When Claudia Gould, the director of the Jewish Museum, visited “A Crack in Everything” in Montreal, she knew it had to come to New York. After all, that’s where the young Cohen mingled with Lou Reed, Bob Dylan and Andy Warhol when he first pursued a songwriting career in the 1960s.

“The show is extremely moving,” Gould said. “I walked in really excited and happy, and I walked out excited and happy — with tears in my eyes.”

Marie
Speaking Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

https://macm.org/en/press-release/the-m ... york-city/

PRESS RELEASE

THE MUSÉE D’ART CONTEMPORAIN DE MONTRÉAL ANNOUNCES THE INTERNATIONAL TOUR OF THE LEONARD COHEN EXHIBITION: A CRACK IN EVERYTHING

With its First Stop in New York City

Montreal, November 13, 2018—It’s official: the tour of the exhibition Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything, organized by the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal (MAC), will begin in the United States, at the Jewish Museum in New York City, starting April 12 and running through September 8, 2019. The tour will then continue on to Copenhagen, at the Kunstforeningen GL STRAND and Nikolaj Kunsthal in October 2019; followed by San Francisco in September 2020, at the Contemporary Jewish Museum. Plans are underway to extend this first phase of the tour and add other destinations. With this tour, the MAC joins forces with renowned museums in cultural capitals around the world, and strengthens its presence on the international art scene as many of its exhibitions are currently touring. The Museum also achieves its objectives of presenting and promoting Québec, Canadian and international artists, as well as promoting Montréal, Leonard Cohen’s hometown.

Developed as part of Montréal’s 375th Anniversary, Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything was inaugurated on November, 9, 2017, at the MAC, one year after the death of Leonard Cohen. A record number of 315,000 visitors attended the exhibit, making it one of the most viewed in the Museum’s history.

“I find it extremely moving to tour this exhibition, which was one of MAC’s greatest successes and also one of the most beautiful exhibitions I had the pleasure to organize in my life,” said John Zeppetelli, Director and Chief Curator at the MAC. “The great interest it piques on the international scene confirms the colossal impact of the work of Leonard Cohen, whose legacy remains alive and current despite his passing. I am extremely pleased that Cohen fans around the world will have the opportunity to discover this exhibition that has reached such a wide audience in Montreal, from all backgrounds and ages. It’s also exciting to know that the exhibition will travel around the world at a time when the MAC’s local offerings will be reduced due to the Museum’s renovations,” he added.

The MAC was honoured to have received Leonard Cohen’s personal approval and endorsement for the project. “When we came up with the idea for this exhibition, we went to seek the agreement of Leonard Cohen, who accepted because of the angle we were proposing. It was important for him that this exhibit would not be of a biographical nature. From the start, the project was conceived as a contemporary artistic exploration of a life’s work, and in that sense, he was thrilled to be able to inspire other artists through his art. Given his recent death, our exhibition has taken on a new meaning. It has also become a tribute to a local icon and a global star,” explained John Zeppetelli.

The tour schedule

The Jewish Museum
New York City, United States
April 12, 2019 – September 8, 2019

Kunstforeningen GL STRAND and Nikolaj Kunsthal
Copenhagen, Danemark
October 23, 2019 – February 16, 2020

Contemporary Jewish Museum
San Francisco, United States
September 17, 2020 – January 3, 2021

Quotes
“I greatly admire Leonard Cohen’s use of language and acute observations on the human condition. By presenting Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything to New York audiences, we look forward to offering our visitors this opportunity to experience contemporary works of art that powerfully evoke the essence of Leonard Cohen’s moving and thought-provoking songs and poems.”

– Claudia Gould, Helen Goldsmith Menschel Director of the Jewish Museum, New York

“We are proud to present Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything at Kunstforeningen GL STRAND and Nikolaj Kunsthal in the fall of 2019. The exhibition offers a unique way of showing the legacy, life and work of one of the greatest writers and singers of our time. We are happy to give the Copenhagen audience the opportunity to experience this highly innovative art exhibition.”

– Helle Behrndt, Director of Kunstforeningen GL STRAND, Copenhagen

“The Contemporary Jewish Museum looks forward to presenting this luminous exhibition in 2020. As the west coast exclusive, we are thrilled to share the late Leonard Cohen’s life and the artistic responses it inspired with our diverse audiences. Cohen’s many creative contributions transcend time and place, and we cannot think of a more fitting space to exhibit his life and work than in a museum whose very architecture proclaims ‘life.”

– Lori Starr, Executive Director, Contemporary Jewish Museum, San Francisco

About the exhibition
A truly multidisciplinary exhibition combining visual art, virtual reality, installations, music and writing, Leonard Cohen: A Crack in Everything offers the public a collection of new works created by a remarkable group of local and international artists who have been inspired by Leonard Cohen’s life, work and legacy. The audience is invited to experience an in-depth, immersive, participatory and visually captivating journey, through an exhibition devoted to the critical celebration, loving tribute and quiet commemoration of a vast artistic achievement and inspiring life.

The exhibition, which ran five months, was accompanied by a series of five concerts. A major catalogue—the 400th published by the MAC since the creation of the Museum in 1964—details this unique exhibition by tracing the two years of preparation preceding its opening. It includes texts by curators John Zeppetelli and Victor Shiffman, artists, Leonard Cohen’s biographer Sylvie Simons and author Chantal Ringuet.

Works on Tour
The MAC leverages the expertise of its curators and technical teams who work with museums to tailor the exhibit and create a unique presentation for each destination. The selection of works may vary from one museum to another, depending on the specific needs and availability of space. The following artists are confirmed for the tour:

Kara Blake, Candice Breitz, Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller, Christophe Chassol, Daily tous les jours, Tacita Dean, Kota Ezawa, George Fok, Ari Folman, Jon Rafman, Zach Richter, The Sanchez Brothers and Taryn Simon.

Leonard Cohen’s self-portraits are also presented as part of the exhibition, as well as the audio installation Listening to Leonard, where visitors can listen to cover versions of Cohen’s songs performed by guest artists, including Feist, Lou Doillon, Moby, and The National with Sufjan Stevens, Richard Reed Parry and Ragnar Kjartansson.

Acknowlegements
The Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal wishes to first thank Leonard Cohen, who gave his generous consent to the exhibition concept while alive. The MAC also wishes to thank the family and friends of Cohen, in particular Robert Kory, Adam Cohen and Lorca Cohen, who provided important support for the organization of this exhibition.

The MAC is pleased to be associated with local institutional partners who have generously contributed to the production of this exhibition. The MAC extends its warm thanks to CBC/Radio-Canada, the exhibition presenter and creator of exclusive content for the exhibition. CBC/Radio-Canada also made its archives available at no charge to the artists creating work for this project.

The MAC also wishes to thank its exhibition partners: DeSerres, Aéroports de Montréal (ADM) and the Société de transport de Montréal (STM).

Co-curatorial partners provided support in the realization of this exhibition. The MAC wishes to thank the National Film Board of Canada (NFB), which also made their full archives available free-of charge to the artists. The MAC and NFB are co-curators and coproducers of a work of art with the Daily tous les jours collective.

The MAC thanks Sony Music and Sony ATV for granting permission to use the songs and archival video material of Leonard Cohen to the artists and for the purpose of the exhibition.

The MAC greatly appreciates the contribution of partners who directly supported the creation of artworks by the artists: Goethe-Institut (Candice Breitz), Spotify (Daily tous les jours), Audio Z (George Fok), Consulate General of Israel in Montreal and the Swiss Institute (Ari Folman), as well as Lytro (Zach Richter).

The exhibition’s presentation in New York is supported by the Québec Government Office in New York and has additional funding from the ministère de la Culture et des Communications du Québec, for which the MAC is grateful.

The MAC is a provincially owned corporation funded by the ministère de la Culture et des Communications du Québec. It receives additional funding from the Department of Canadian Heritage and the Canada Council for the Arts. The MAC acknowledges the support of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, a partner for educational activities, and of the National Bank of Canada, a partner of the Museum’s and the Foundation’s events.

Finally, the Musée sincerely thanks the following for their generous support: The Azrieli Foundation, the Stephen and Lillian Vineberg Family Foundation, Nick Tedeschi and Sal Guerrera, and Claudine and Stephen Bronfman Family Foundation.

Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal
Located in the heart of the Quartier des Spectacles, the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal makes today’s art a vital part of Montréal and Québec life. For more than fifty years, this vibrant museum has brought together local and international artists, their works and an ever-growing public. It is also a place of discovery, offering visitors experiences that are continually changing and new, and often unexpected and stirring. The MAC presents temporary exhibitions devoted to outstanding and relevant current artists who provide their own particular insight into our society, as well as exhibitions of works drawn from the museum’s extensive Permanent Collection. These may feature any and every form of expression: digital and sound works, installations, paintings, sculptures, ephemeral pieces, and more. In addition to its wide range of educational activities familiarizing the general public with contemporary art, the MAC organizes unique artistic performances and festive events. It is a window onto a myriad of avant-garde expressions that extend the reach of art throughout the city and beyond.

Source and Information
Roxane Dumas-Noël
Head of Public Relations
T. 514 944-4472 / roxane.dumas-noel@macm.org

Marie
Speaking Cohen
don

Post by don »

Good evening from Dublin, fellow Cohenistas.
Is anyone planning on going to NYC for the opening of this event on April 12? As one of the 18 singers in the Candice Breitz exhibit, "I'm Your Man," I'm planning to join some of my fellow singers at the NYC opening. Will anyone else be in NYC for April 12? We should arrange for a meet-up.
(Jarkko, should we make this a "topic" in the forum?)
d.
Don Cummer
Ottawa, Canada/Dublin, Ireland

Return to “News”