LC wins 2018 Grammy Award for You Want It Darker!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
B4real

LC wins 2018 Grammy Award for You Want It Darker!

Post by B4real »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mus ... 065641001/

Rock performance (single or track)
WINNER: Leonard Cohen, You Want It Darker
Chris Cornell, The Promise
Foo Fighters, Run
Kaleo, No Good
Nothing More, Go to War

This is all I can find at the moment and it does appear to be true!

and now confirmed here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mus ... 066860001/
5:28 The late legend Leonard Cohen wins best rock performance for You Want It Darker.

:D :D :D
Last edited by B4real on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
gretabertella

Re: LC wins 2018 Grammy Award for You Want It Darker!

Post by gretabertella »

It is indeed!
Yeeeeeeeeeeeh!!!!!!!!!!
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Leonard lost the other category:

"Alabama Shakes wins Best American Roots Performance for “Killer Diller Blues.” This is perhaps surprising since they were up against a couple of sentimental favorites: the late Glen Campbell (“Arkansas Farmboy”) and Leonard Cohen (“Steer Your Way”). This is the band’s fourth Grammy overall."

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/2 ... 597136842/
Marie
Speaking Cohen
B4real

Post by B4real »

And another confirmation from Pitchfork:
https://pitchfork.com/news/grammys-2018 ... lo-grammy/

Grammys 2018: Leonard Cohen Wins First Solo Grammy
He won Best Rock Performance for “You Want It Darker”
The late Leonard Cohen was awarded the first solo Grammy Award of his career at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards tonight. The legend has been awarded Best Rock Performance for “You Want It Darker,” the title track from his final studio album. In 2010, Cohen was given the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award; in 2015, his debut album Songs of Leonard Cohen was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. Cohen only ever won a Grammy once in his lifetime: a collaborative award for his participation on Herbie Hancock’s Joni Mitchell covers album River: The Joni Letters, which won Album of the Year in 2008.

and here too:
https://www.grammy.com/grammys/artists/leonard-cohen
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la ... story.html
https://www.altpress.com/news/entry/leo ... award_2018
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

So here I sit, with the flu, watching the Grammys on Dish TV in Idaho hoping to see the results of the categories Leonard was nominated in, and already I missed something? I thought it was "live" but maybe it was something not in the broadcasted part of the program. So glad to hear that he won that category!
Vickie
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

Best ROCK performance?? They still don't know where to put our Leonard, do they? But we know. He just can't be categorized. At. All.
It has always seemed to me that the Junos are a bit more erudite, more lofty & intellectual in many ways, than the Grammys, as far as awards shows go. Those Canadian suits --the movers & shakers who decide who gets promoted and who gets the prize--seem like they're focused on the more highbrow questions: is it art? Is it music? Do the lyrics lift you, the melodies set your soul free? In America, they just want to know: will it sell? How many units can we move? I suspect Leonard was talking to the hip hoppers and belly floppers and the rest when he said, "You don't really care for music, do ya?"
Anyway, glad our man got it. About time.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Amen, Squidgy.
Well said.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

Vickie, I hope you are feeling better! The Grammys were on local TV here a few hours after the live show and again last night and I didn’t see all of it. From what I can gather, LC’s winner’s announcement was possibly at the "pre-telecast" ceremony (officially named The Premiere Ceremony) which was held on the same day prior to the main ceremony. http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/2 ... ds-online/
The vast majority of the 84 Grammy Awards will be handed out during an afternoon event that the recording academy has dubbed the Premiere Ceremony.

Maybe a video could appear later of Adam accepting Leonard’s award!

Squidgy and Alan, I have an affinity to your words and I am reminded of this excerpt from a 1972 interview with LC and Roger Squires about where his music belongs:

How do you position your songs so that people buy them?
LC: “There is room for my kind of music, although it will never become mainstream. It is a refuge for myself and for others that can use it that way. That’s how I use my songs. A refuge. But it is not a daily meal.

For reasons hard to explain you are placed in the rock category. Do you feel that is where you belong?
LC: “I would not prefer being placed somewhere else. Just because my music is not someone’s daily portion does not mean that I don’t have the right to my place there. It is food for those who can put their mind and body in it. It is food for those who get their information from rock and roll. Rock is where I feel at home. Besides, I like disguises.”

What do you mean?
LC: “I prefer playing in concert halls rather than playing in a miserable club where I would be very serious”.

Is there anyone in rock music you admire or feel related to?
LC: “I think a lot of people are very good singers or musicians. I don’t think of myself being one. I enjoy the hospitality of the rock audience. But I certainly understand the difference between hospitality and being home. Some people belong, I do not.”

Does that audience understand you?
LC: “I get letters from people who say my music helped them through the night. It seems to me that is exactly what they were written for. Shit, I wish I could write about trees and birds. They appear in my songs, but not in a nice way. I can only accomplish something within in a specific area – it has to do with restraint and consolidation.”

A smile breaks through on his thoughtful face, and he is lighting another cigarette. We smoke for a while.

....and now I’m smiling too at the thought of his words 45 years later on :)
MargRz

Post by MargRz »

This from LC’s acceptance speech on the 2010 lifetime achievement Grammy:
“(...) I’ve always been touched by the modesty of their interest in my work”. :D
B4real

Post by B4real »

Welcome to the forum, MargRz!

He he! I remember well that statement by Leonard :)

And still speaking of Rock, I also remember the time he was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2008.

LC said then: This is a very unlikely occasion for me. It is not a distinction that I coveted or even to dare dream about. So I’m reminded of the prophetic statement of Jon Landau in the early seventies - he said “I have seen the future of Rock and Roll and it is not Leonard Cohen!”
;-)
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

MargRz wrote: This from LC’s acceptance speech on the 2010 lifetime achievement Grammy:
“(...) I’ve always been touched by the modesty of their interest in my work”. :D
Did he really say this there and then?

Because I'm pretty sure it's a quote from an interview in 1998, referring to his record company Columbia.

Okay, it turns out you're right. Apparently he deemed this joke good enough to repeat it now and then ...
B4real

Post by B4real »

Haha! Hartmut!

Yes, he did indeed say that a few times :)

Also another noted repeat was in both those acceptance speeches mentioned above in 2008 and 2010.
LC recited Tower Of Song......you'll be hearing from me baby, long after I'm gone....

And of course, as he said, he was right!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

B4real wrote: Also another noted repeat was in both those acceptance speeches mentioned above in 2008 and 2010.
LC recited Tower Of Song.
Yes; I thought it was appropriate, original, and funny the first time. The second time, it was merely appropriate and funny ... But, as they say, two out of three ain't bad.
gretabertella

Post by gretabertella »

Well, LC kept on recycling some answers all through his life. But we - His people, amen - forgive him because we know he was a poet, but also a performer - and a performer always needs a script. ;-)

About the ceremony.
You're right, B4real: the winner's announcement was held during the Premiere Ceremony.
But, even though Sharon Robinson was there for sure (https://www.facebook.com/sharonrobinson ... =3&theater), during the ceremony no one was allowed to accept the awards on winners' behalf.
So, it went like this: they announced the winner's name for evey category, then a jingle started to give the winners the time to leave their seats and get on stage. If the winner was there to get the prize, he went on stage to take it. If they weren't, no one was allowed to show up on their behalf, and the show just went on.

As you can see here at 2:40
https://www.grammy.com/grammys/videos/w ... e-ceremony
the same happened for Leonard.
It was quite comical, since Leonard was... dead... and, well, of course he couldn't go accept the award.
So the jingle started as every time and no one showed up.
I hoped they would make an exception to the Grammy's rules for a late artist, maybe remembering him, or allowing someone else to accept the prize under these special circumstances. But no, they didn't.
Jingle and... Oh, guess what, Leonard Cohen was not there!
No one said anything, and the show just went on.
It was (sadly) fun.

But - hey - who cares. He won, that's it.

g.
B4real

Post by B4real »

gretabertella, thanks for that info!

This link below is loosely connected to the Grammys but one item is said to be closely connected to Leonard :)
https://journal.classiccars.com/2018/01 ... ners-cars/
2018 Grammy Winners and their cars

Leonard Cohen – Aston Martin V12 Vantage S

Rock legend Leonard Cohen was awarded posthumously for his 2016 performance of “You Want it Darker.” In life, Cohen was strongly attached to his Aston Martin V12 Vantage S and often meditated while shifting gears behind that powerful V12 engine.

....Steer Your Way..... ;-)

Return to “News”