LC wins 2018 Grammy Award for You Want It Darker!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
MargRz

Re: LC wins 2018 Grammy Award for You Want It Darker!

Post by MargRz »

B4real wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 am Welcome to the forum, MargRz!

He he! I remember well that statement by Leonard :)

And still speaking of Rock, I also remember the time he was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2008.

LC said then: This is a very unlikely occasion for me. It is not a distinction that I coveted or even to dare dream about. So I’m reminded of the prophetic statement of Jon Landau in the early seventies - he said “I have seen the future of Rock and Roll and it is not Leonard Cohen!”
;-)
Why thank you, B4real, I am certainly enjoying myself here :D. Too bad I waited so long to join... what can I say, like Leonard, I’m slow ;-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:47 am ...2018 Grammy Winners and their cars

Leonard Cohen – Aston Martin V12 Vantage S

Rock legend Leonard Cohen was awarded posthumously for his 2016 performance of “You Want it Darker.” In life, Cohen was strongly attached to his Aston Martin V12 Vantage S and often meditated while shifting gears behind that powerful V12 engine....
:shock: Seriously, Leonard drove an Aston Martin? Does anyone know if that is true? It is a gorgeous car, for sure, but it seems a bit, um, pretentious for him (especially considering the Jeeps and Hondas he was known to drive in the past).
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

LisaLCFan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:52 am :shock: Seriously, Leonard drove an Aston Martin? Does anyone know if that is true? It is a gorgeous car, for sure, but it seems a bit, um, pretentious for him (especially considering the Jeeps and Hondas he was known to drive in the past).
Last I heard he was still driving an old station wagon (van? Not sure of the US terminology) dating back to the 1990s .......

Somebody didn't read the article properly. It wasn't Leonard heading to Mt Baldy in the super car. But then it's not the only inaccuracy in the Grammy winners' cars article. Scottish pop star Ed Sheeran is English through and through ....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d ... e33845820/

Wendy
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

B4real wrote: Vickie, I hope you are feeling better! The Grammys were on local TV here a few hours after the live show and again last night and I didn’t see all of it. From what I can gather, LC’s winner’s announcement was possibly at the "pre-telecast" ceremony
Thank you B4, and yes, I am feeling a bit better, at least I will be crawling out from under my rock today. I normally don't watch the Grammys because they have rarely failed to disappointment me (a sour grapes attitude I know), so I didn't think about the pre-show. The main thing is that he won though! How nice for Adam also! :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Vickie, good to see you've almost recovered!

Lisa, I wondered about that too!

Wendy, you are a super sleuth!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

B4real wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:56 pm Wendy, you are a super sleuth!
Not at all. I just clicked on the link in the article!

W
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:13 pm...Somebody didn't read the article properly. It wasn't Leonard heading to Mt Baldy in the super car...

Indeed. In fact, the article had absolutely nothing to do with Leonard at all (nor with much of anything!). It was just some hack journalist in a fancy rental car driving up to Mount Baldy for a quick 10-minute look-around ("I didn’t find whatever Cohen found on top of this mountain", he says, apparently seriously, despite his barely being there long enough to get out of the car...), dropping Leonard's name and a few references to "Zen", most likely in the hopes that a Canadian newspaper would pay him to publish his pointless article, which they did. (The Globe and Mail loves to mention Leonard's name -- he is a National Treasure, after all, and I am actually being serious about that.). This little vanity-piece of an article was then subsequently seriously misread by someone at a car-enthusiasts website, the latter apparently hoping to cash in on the Grammy hype. This is what they call "journalism" these days? Pathetic. :roll:

Return to “News”