Will there be posthumous disc?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Hartmut

Re: Will there be posthumous disc?

Post by Hartmut »

Thank you for explaining, holydove. That's what I meant.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hartmut wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 am Thank you for explaining, holydove. That's what I meant.
Hartmut, you are very kind to be so tolerant of my propensity for excessively detailed explanations :roll: . I beg forgiveness for indulging that compulsion. What prompted such explanation is that I think Born In Chains had special significance for Leonard. Given Leonard's ever-increasing eagerness to give others credit for everything, it's interesting that he made this one song his baby, & his baby alone, & for the album, sang every word of it in his own amazing voice (as opposed to the live version); that alone might not have meant so much (as he accepted full credit for many songs on earlier albums), but in addition to that, Leonard has said that he first tried to record Born in Chains for the I'm Your Man album, but he found that when he tried to sing it, he choked on the lyrics because they didn't feel true; so as we know, the song became "I Can't Forget", because that's what felt true to him at that time. Then, 22 years later, he was able to sing Born In Chains; so clearly, it now felt true to him. Wow. I don't mean to suggest that I know anything about Leonard's inner workings, but it seems to me that one would have had to climb some huge mountains & walk some long, deep, winding paths, to turn a song like that, which didn't feel true before, into something that is true now.

I have my own ideas about why it was so important to make this song true, & I'm sure others have their ideas, but this thread is not supposed to be about Born in Chains, so I apologize for the divergence, & will say no more; I just felt compelled to explain (there's that word again!) my previous detailed explanation (if moderators want to move these posts elsewhere, feel free...).
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

holydove wrote: Hartmut, you are very kind to be so tolerant of my propensity for excessively detailed explanations :roll: .
Actually, your explanation had exactly the right length and level of detail - whereas mine was to terse, one could argue.
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

maybe someone will want to bring leonard back to life - sort of - using an avatar.

e.g.abba (even though they are not strictly `dead` yet :

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... -1.3222297

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... atars.html

simon fuller's firm which is organising the abba tribute :

https://www.xixentertainment.com

Return to “News”