THE FLAME - Leonard's New Collection of Poetry

Everything about Leonard Cohen's new book
Maarten

Re: THE FLAME - Leonard's New Collection of Poetry

Post by Maarten »

Hi

As far as I know, not even the advance review copies are available yet so I'm sure this must be a mistake from the seller. Perhaps Jarkko can confirm the release date as Oct 16?

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Maarten wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:24 am Hi

As far as I know, not even the advance review copies are available yet so I'm sure this must be a mistake from the seller. Perhaps Jarkko can confirm the release date as Oct 16?

Maarten
The question has answered itself. The availability has been changed to “not available “ in the last hour. It seems that someone was a bit “trigger happy “ at Bol.com and they corrected it.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi Hugo

Yes, this morning's status has been changed to "not available" now... Too bad... :-)

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

As far as we know, there is no change in the schedule. The book will be published in several languages at the same time.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

Have put orders on bookdepository for UK version and Amazon China for International version.
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Canadian edition of The Flame

Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: McClelland & Stewart (Oct. 2 2018)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 077102441X
ISBN-13: 978-0771024412
Shipping Weight: 526 g

https://www.amazon.ca/Flame-Leonard-Coh ... nard+cohen
(Link from Dominique)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
skipper1967

Post by skipper1967 »

Its going to be a long wait.

Luckily for us Downuder Bob Dylan is visiting in August.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Good news also for our Finnish members:

Finnish translations by Sammakko Publishers:
THE FLAME in October 2018, translated by Ville-Juhani Sutinen. Finnish title: LIEKKI
LET US COMPARE MYTHOLOGIES in 2019, translated by Antton Kainulainen. Finnish title: VERTAILKAAMME MYTOLOGIOITA
BOOK OF MERCY (new edition) in 2020, translated by Seppo Pietikäinen. Finnish title: ARMOKIRJA
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

Would it be any difference among these editions except cover design?
Remember the biography I'm your man, UK version has more photos than US version.
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Hmm, that would be nice ( but I do have proper doubts ;-) )

The picture is a screenshot from a email I received today that says that this book is shipped and will be delivered tomorrow

HugoD

Post by HugoD »

HugoD wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:08 pm Hmm, that would be nice ( but I do have proper doubts ;-) )

The picture is a screenshot from a email I received today that says that this book is shipped and will be delivered tomorrow

Not surprisingly the book did not arrive today :razz: . But that is not the end of it, they did sent me an email today wishing me lots of reading pleasure with the book and a kind request to pay the invoice since they assumed I received it. Wrote them an email that I was more than happy to pay I they had delivered it since the publication date is set for October. :lol:

To be continued?
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

https://fsgworkinprogress.com/2018/07/17/the-flame/

The final collection of the seminal musician and poet, which he was determined to complete before his death

Just weeks before his death in late 2016, Leonard Cohen told The New Yorker that he was ready for the end to come. He just wanted enough time to put his last book in order. Fortunately, that time was granted. The Flame is Cohen’s eloquent farewell, a valedictory collection of lyrics, poems, notebook sketches, and self-portraits that maps his singular creative journey. As noted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s citation, “For six decades, Leonard Cohen revealed his soul to the world through poetry and song—his deep and timeless humanity touching our very core.

”In addition to new poems about war, desire, regrets, lamb chops, and hummingbirds, and lyrics from his last three albums, including the chart-topping “You Want It Darker,” The Flame includes carefully selected excerpts from Cohen’s voluminous notebooks, which he kept faithfully over the years. Readers will find in these pages the subjects that have always preoccupied Cohen: the dimensions of love, the secret code of existence, and the hope for transcendence in a broken world.

In the words of Cohen’s longtime manager and friend, Robert Kory, The Flame “reveals to all the intensity of his inner fire” to the end.

“There are very, very few people who occupy the ground that Leonard Cohen walks on.” —Bono

Leonard Cohen was a hugely influential Canadian poet, songwriter, and cultural icon who died on the eve of the 2016 presidential election. His “Hallelujah” is widely considered the redemptive song of the resistance. Cohen’s many canonical songs (“Suzanne,” “So Long, Marianne,” “Famous Blue Raincoat,” “Dance Me to the End of Love,” and others) have earned him a place in the small pantheon that includes Bob Dylan and Patti Smith. Cohen’s many honors include a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, a Prince of Asturias Award for Literature, and election to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Now available for pre-order in the US.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Thanks to Leonard’s manager Robert Kory, and the publisher, we have a proof copy of the book to show at the Budapest Event! Just ask me!
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Maarten

Post by Maarten »

HugoD wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 pm Came across this item on eBay

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Leonard-Cohen-T ... Swz2JbYNXR
Yes, I had seen it too... I think it's a pity to see mr Dahi misuse his privilege to receive uncorrected proofs of Cohen's final book for personal enrichment...

Maarten

Return to “THE FLAME - news and information”