A Nobel for Leonard

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Eva

A Nobel for Leonard

Post by Eva » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:50 am

This coming Saturday, 2 April, 8:30 p.m. at the Blue Metropolis Literary Festival in Montreal http://www.blue-met-bleu.com
one of the featured highlights will be:

"Nominating Leonard Cohen for the Nobel Literature Prize" Calling all Leonard Cohen fans... The CBC's Paul Kennedy will launch a campaign with help form George Elliott Clarke, Michel Garneau, Edward Palumba and Karen Young. Then it's your turn: does Leonard Cohen deserve the Nobel? Come out and tell us what you think.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
Paula

Post by Paula » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:59 pm

Eva I couldn't get the link to work.
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:33 pm

It may, or may not , be instructive to view the list of previous Nobel Prize in Literature laureates. The link is http://nobelprize.org/literature/laureates
Andrew.
Dem

Post by Dem » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:18 am

Perhaps it would be more instructive (and amusing?) to search for a list of writers that never won the Nobel Prize in Literature:
Franz Kafka, Graham Greene, Jorge Luis Borges,
Marcel Proust, James Joyce, Bertolt Brecht, Milan Kundera, Nikos Kazantzakis to name but a few.
Compere then their names with the nemas of Karl Gjellerup, Henrik Pontoppidan, Jacinto Benavente,Grazia Deledda and others who DID WIN it!

Dem
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:28 pm

Hi Eva,

Perhaps I'm reading this entire thing in the wrong way. This would not be the first time. Does Leonard deserve the Nobel for what? The book that's not out yet? One that he wrote long ago and was not nominated for or declined a Pulitzer for?

The lists were interesting. A smaller (recent) N.American contingent than I would have thought. Also, could the Nobel be considered as objective as say, figure skating? It seems there have been some oversights. But then, I've not read Pontopiddan, so what do I know?

Linda[/i]
Kush

Post by Kush » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:17 am

Bob Dylan gets nominated almost every year (amongst others by Stephen Scobie, if I'm not mistaken - and his reasoning his quite convincing) but somehow I really hope he never gets it. I'm no literary expert and don't really have specific reasons but just a gut feeling that it would not be right. That would create a precedence that I'm not comfortable with.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:38 am

Dylan gets nominated almost every year? For what? Surely a writer must be nominated in the year they produced a piece of work? Is Dylan that prolific a writer, still? Does Dylan write 'poetry' as opposed to 'song lyrics'? I wonder how it (poetry) and song lyrics are perceived? I doubt that Nobel laureates were nominated for poetry you can dance to (song lyrics). Hmm. That part I'm unsure about, but it's interesting. Yes, if 'lyrics' and 'poetry' were perceived to be one and the same, it could certainly cause a bit of controversy within that Ivory Tower.

Linda.
Eva

Post by Eva » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:13 am

I will be attending this panel discussion on Saturday, after which I will be able to give everyone some feedback. In the meantime, I would appreciate your comments re this possible nomination so that I may voice them on Saturday.
What do you think? and why should Leonard Cohen be nominated?
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
Kush

Post by Kush » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:54 am

Linda...here is a site ( a little outdated, until 2002) that details Bob Dylan's numerous nominations and the official reasons...he was even nominated by Allen Ginsburg one time.

http://www.expectingrain.com/dok/art/nobel/

If I can straighten out my thoughts I will post sometime why I feel they should not be nominated. It has only a little to do with literary merit.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:09 am

Hi Kush,

Thanks for the link and I'm looking forward to hearing your reasons. I'm not saying that I disagree (I don't), but when you straighten out your thoughts... :wink:

Linda.
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:17 am

Hi Linda

No, the prize doesn't have to correspond to work done in the same year. I think the only rule around timing is you have to be alive to win. The rules depend somewhat on the field but you can imagine that contributions to science, peace and medicine may not become apparent for many years.

You may only be nominated by someone who is approved to do so, then the Nobel cttee considers the proposal on its merits + research and makes its annual selection.

As far as I know...

:)
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

Buddha
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:26 am

Hi Insanitor,

Thanks for the info. I saved Kush's Nobel list as I'm going to read every one of those writers!! How do you know so much about the Nobel procedure? I didn't see your name on the list. :wink: . It is mind boggling - the number of authors, unread (by me).
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:43 am

Hi Eva,

It sometimes takes a few days for a topic to get going, I bet many haven't as yet read your comments.

You've been a member for a few years, why do you think Leonard should be nominated? Or do you? I'm in that limbo stage along with Kush.

Linda.
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:44 am

Well, that's because you don't know my nom de plume :o

But seriously, I know two laureates...really I do. They won the medicine prize jointly for research they did back in the decades.
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

Buddha
jurica

Post by jurica » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:07 pm

Nobel prize was very rarely awarded for literary work that was produced recently. and i think it's the right way to go, since time does seem to give some objectivity to judging art. Nobel prize is awarded to a person, not one particular work, althought one work may be specialy noted in the explanation of why this particular artist was rewarded.

as for 'song lyrics' and 'poetry' regarding Bob Dylan - there's no difference. is 'we'll go no more a-rovin' a lyric or a poem???

the form of verses was most likely formed through fittingness for singing. poetry is supposed to be preformed. if not in public, then in the mind of the one who reads it.

bob dylan is a great poet of our times. full stop. you can eather judge by his influence onto other poets, or you can judge his work in the tradition of poetry, or take it out of tradition and analyse it by itself --- the result will be the same. he's a great poet.

Return to “News”