Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
markbowen

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by markbowen »

A bad week just got much worse. But I digress. My condolences to Mr. Cohen's family and friends, and to everyone here feeling the great loss. My undying gratitude to the man himself for having had the privilege of seeing him perform four times. At some unpredictable point during each of those performances, either I or my partner would suddenly be in tears, not out of sadness but out of catharsis. This was the power not just of Leonard Cohen's music but of his undeniably powerful presence. It will be greatly missed.
1988 & 1993: Washington, DC / 2008: Lucca, Italy / 2009: Belgrade, Serbia
Marie-Elaine

Post by Marie-Elaine »

My great love has died. Thank you so much, Leonard, for everything you have given me and the world. I've been preparing for this moment ever since I heard You Want It Darker, but still it hits hard. I am so grateful I have known you!
jchcohen

Post by jchcohen »

I followed him for forty years. I saw two Leonard´s concerts in Madrid, in 1988 and 2012.

He is living forever. Thank you.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Leonard was ready to go . Always hard for those left behind ,but he leaves many treasures with us.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

No one has ever moved me as much as Leonard. I am devastated, if not surprised.

I was luckily enough to meet him in Lille in 2010, with my then 9 year old daughter. He was unfailingly cal, dignified and generous of spirit.

His lyrics said more to me about the human condition, as ineptly experienced by me, than anyone or anything before or since.

We are diminished. I am trying to respond with moderation and a sense of proportion. I suspect it is what he would have wanted! But I feel utterly sad.

So grateful for this forum, and the friendships made along the way. Ours is to "keep these songs alive".

Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thank you Leonard for providing the soundtrack to my life.
Rob.
MoSang

Post by MoSang »

I come from China. In the last ten years I listened his songs over and over. His spirit has influenced my life and will continue to be. It's a hard time for us, I'm sad but I believe he will always be by our side.
2012 Berlin, Waldbühne 05.09.2012
2013 Hamburg, O₂ World 14.07.2013
Roy

Post by Roy »

LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
juneC

Post by juneC »

I awoke at 3.00am this morning … I hate being alone in the night so the tv was on as always. The very first thing I heard was the devastating news that Leonard had died .. So here it is … the day I have been dreading for sometime now is here. What words to use? I have are no words … My heart is too numb with pain.

Every time ‘that hopeless little screen’ informs me that 'Leonard Cohen has died' my heart misses a beat and it’s like I’m just hearing it for the first time …. like some awful recurring nightmare.

Since my partner died three years ago Leonard and his music and poetry has been such a huge part of my life…. Thank you for everything dear Leonard ….

I hope and pray the end was kind to you and the preliminaries were not too uncomfortable… I am hopeful that you did not suffer too unbearably, for too long as it was just a few short weeks ago when we were able to see and hear you speaking so positively and in such good spirits, although appearing somewhat frail admittedly. I draw some small comfort from that hope…

My thoughts and prayers are so very much with Adam and Lorca and the little ones now. R.I.P. Dearest Leonard.
zaph

Post by zaph »

Dear friend,

thank you so much for attending me through my life.
Hanna

Post by Hanna »

Thank you, Leonard!
Thank you God for Leonard!
"I love your body and your spirit and your clothes"

Wroclaw, Hala Ludowa 20.03.1985 | Wroclaw, Hala Stulecia 29.09.2008 | Katowice, Spodek 04.10.2010 | Berlin, Waldbühne 5.09.2012 | Berlin o2 World 17.07.2013 | Prague o2 Arena 21.07.2013
Lucas&David

Post by Lucas&David »

thank you for guiding me, in thoughts and feelings
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

I was shocked and very saddened at Bowie's death , but somehow Leonard's passing seems more personal - almost like the death of a family member.
Maybe that's why i also feel a need to know more about why and how he died. Helps the move to closure on such a major felt loss
I hope that doesn't sound like too much of a invasion of privacy.
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Dany Hilven

Post by Dany Hilven »

As longtime admirer and fan of Leonard Cohen I am - as so many - very saddened by the news of his passing away and also very sad not having had the opportunity and honour of meeting him in person.

Paraphrasing him - we shall now climb on our tears like a rose on its ladder of thorns.

Not for long, though, as the beauty and depth of his work will continue to inspire and to enjoy.

I'll have a whisky or a glass of good wine tonight and I'll pretend to smoke a cigarette (gave it up some time ago), whilst listening to one of my favourite LC songs 'Ballad of the Absent Mare'.

You did not only take Manhattan and Berlin Leonard, you took it all.

Thanks for your amazing work and personality.

Dany
Say a prayer for the cowboy
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

cohenadmirer wrote:I was shocked and very saddened at Bowie's death , but somehow Leonard's passing seems more personal - almost like the death of a family member.
Maybe that's why i also feel a need to know more about why and how he died.
I hope that doesn't sound like too much of a invasion of privacy.
Please just reflect with dignity. It is only time for reflection, silence and grace. Don't want to say anything more on your comments.

Return to “News”