Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Violet

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by Violet »

Zennard wrote:
Thank you for your meditation. What made you write this in 2008?
And thank you for your appreciation.

I actually don't recall why I wrote it just then. Sometimes a poem just comes to one, and I believe this is one of those.

Really, there are so many things I still don't understand, such as why I even came to this forum, or how I even found it or heard about it.

.. eventually, a number of years after writing the poem -- and other poems having to do with Leonard -- I would find myself writing letters to him in the "back room" -- where forum members post their own writing. He was touring then. The whole thing was rather crazy. But then the back room was pretty crazy (as those of us who have spent any time back there know). I remember writing some of my very worst poems back then too (!) (Oh, and hopefully some fairly good ones.)

Anyway, there's more to the story, but it's not for now. For now I guess it's just to take in this loss, and try to heal. If things were less personal then this would be easier to do. I could just appreciate the wonderful work he's given us, and be happy for it. Eventually, I imagine that's where I'll arrive with things. But just now, there are all these layers inside that I have to work through. All these good-byes, I guess.

Thanks again, Z,

Violet
Violet
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

On Leonard Cohen

I sat in silence this morning, and it wasn’t long until my heart turned towards Leonard Cohen. He was like that. One man radiating like the sun, drawing us in and keeping us faithful to that light. After all, he was a man of the people, private as he was. That was part of his mystery, how he penetrated the darkness inside so many of us. I find his last album ironic that it was penned by such a giver of light. One cannot get into darkness, I suspect, as one gets into light. But there it is. It is a fact of life, that darkness that he describes and portends. We get shivers now as his absence seems to hail darker times ahead.

How did he, and does he, and will continue to, break into our darkness so readily? He is a figure of mystery, as all lovers are. He was impeccable except when it came to love. But he couldn’t help himself. His tailored suits could not protect him from loving women too promiscuously. He had his flaws like all of us do.

No one has been able to say an unkind word about him since his demise. That is because love is stronger than hate. And he seemed to hate nothing and no one on a personal level. He railed against situations in song, but it was an impersonal rant always followed by his own hallelujah.

I read the many testimonies now since his body has been laid to rest. I weep again and again for the personal void left in so many hearts around the globe. They, like me, will continue to have Leonard sing them to sleep at night. They will dream of him. They will yearn towards the lighthouse of his being. And he still is. Someone like him cannot put out their light by simply casting off the body. Oh, no, no, no, as he gruffly intones in one of his songs. There is a table of love he simply cannot leave.

Vicki Woodyard
Martin n brown

Post by Martin n brown »

I wrote a poem Leonard,
It’s the best that I can do
To try to tell the world the way I feel
‘Bout losing you.

Your poetry of sadness
Always made me feel alive.
Although there’ll be no more
We have sufficient to survive.

You helped me through the darkest hours.
You took me to a place
Where beauty met confusion,
In another time and space.

When I was at my lowest points
I shut myself away
With the words that helped me lose myself
And fight another day.

And if I felt euphoric
In the winter by the fire,
A cup of wine and “Hallelujah”
Took me even higher.

The sense of loss I’m feeling
Is far less than I feared.
I think I was prepared for it
As time it slowly neared.

My sadness is quite selfish
To know that there’s no more
But you are such a part of me
That there’s no closing door.

So thank you for the beauty,
The laughter and the tears.
Marianne is waiting
And now suddenly appears.

(Optional final verse)
Your timing it was perfect
When your heart it ceased to pump
At least you will not have to bear
Four years of f---g Trump.

Sincerely, Martin Brown
leonardthedog

Post by leonardthedog »

Touched, Martin.

And I like the last verse.

I think Leonard would have too.

love
and
blessings,

Caroline
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

:(
Last edited by musicmania on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

Am I in a minority finding the "Optional final verse" both inappropriate and offensive?
surrender

Post by surrender »

Thank you, davidrichards, at least you are not alone.
Jarmila

Being said before:
Unspoken Words wrote: Please just reflect with dignity. It is only time for reflection, silence and grace.
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
Zennard

Post by Zennard »

There is a danger in posting things what Mr. Cohen would and/or would not have liked. We did not know the man personally, even though the lyrics were sometimes highly personal. But we will have to leave it at that, we can speculate what or what not he would have liked. But we can never make the assumption that he would have liked this or dislike that. So please use some restraint. That is my plea.
Nijmegen 1993
Amsterdam 2008
Rotterdam 2008
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

I'm no fan of Trump but I hate the last verse. I think it's tasteless and totally banal.

But I defend his right to post it.
real-alan

Post by real-alan »

you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

icecreamtruck wrote:I'm no fan of Trump but I hate the last verse. I think it's tasteless and totally banal.
I defend his right also, but it's been posted repeatedly. Enough already.

FWIW, those who presume Leonard would somehow approve of the sentiment, I would remind them Leonard was a devout, observant Jew.

Who thinks the song Lover, Lover, Lover is about romance? It's about Israel.

His grandfather was an activist in the Zionist movement.

Leonard famously defied the BDS boycott by performing in Israel; in response to the outcry, he agreed to additionally perform in the Palestinian section, and expressed his wishes for peace with his characteristic grapce and kindness. The second performance was a response to pro-Palestinian, anti-Israel political factions who attacked him; but first, he supported Israel by defying the boycott.

Mrs. Clinton as Secretary of State helped broker the Iran nuclear deal; as candidate she accepted millions in campaign contributions from nations and groups seeking the annihilation of Israel.
Mr. Trump has made his support of Israel and the safety of Jews in their homeland --and his opposition to Islamic terrorism and unprotected borders----quite clear.

That said, I cannot, will not presume to speak to Mr. Cohen's feelings about the outcome of the election were he still with us. I suspect his comments, should he publicly address the subject at all, would be gracefully nuanced, philosophical, kind, and hopeful for the best---regardless of which candidate had prevailed.
Zennard

Post by Zennard »

Squidgy wrote:
icecreamtruck wrote:I'm no fan of Trump but I hate the last verse. I think it's tasteless and totally banal.
I defend his right also, but it's been posted repeatedly.
I too, will defend his right. Just to be clear.
Nijmegen 1993
Amsterdam 2008
Rotterdam 2008
lortigosa

Post by lortigosa »

Almost a month since he passed away... and still mourning. I didn't want to enter the forum, but I finally did. So sad. It was a shock for me. Couldn't stop crying for two whole days. And now still do when suddenly the thought comes to my mind that he's not among us anymore.
He will always be revered and remembered.
Rest in peace.
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

Given that there appears to be a "right" to post what you wish, and to do so repeatedly; and given that what I considered to be inappropriate and offensive has been edited slightly since yesterday maybe the post of "Unspoken Words" should also be repeated, as "surrender" did yesterday.

"Please just reflect with dignity. It is only time for reflection, silence and grace."
surrender

Post by surrender »

Empty and quiet
I sit in meditation
a deep silence mourns.

Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)

Return to “News”