FROM LEONARD: HAPPENS TO THE HEART

Leonard Cohen's posthumous album (2019)
multicolouredme

Re: FROM LEONARD: HAPPENS TO THE HEART

Post by multicolouredme »

Beautiful. A life's reckoning and re evaluation.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, Joy, for me, too, I thought... verbatim "This sounds like the 'old' Leonard." And, as I read it, I heard Leonard's voice as in A Thousand Kisses Deep, with the same rhythm and speed.

As I read comments said and quoted, I was thinking that it WAS on his next album. I guess not so, though? In any case, I don't know what's to nail that wasn't.

Thank you so much for this, Leonard. Jarkko... you've been the gateway to so many things from Leonard. Thank you once again and many times over for all you've done and do. Leonard clearly appreciates it, too.

Much love to both of you,
Lizzie xoxox
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
B4real

Post by B4real »

Yes, I remember posting on the forum about this from that same RS interview:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=35420&hilit=rolling+stone#p348282
and wondered then if we would ever get to hear that song and now here are the words. Thank you!

So visual! Those captivating lines are forming such graphic images in my mind ....
I love the overall pattern especially the imagery and rhythm.... I can easily hear and see LC reciting (or singing) the words. To me it’s a reflection on the past based somewhat on truth with the voice of experience. I truly hope it’s on the next album after You Want It Darker.

And speaking of dark, one of the lines “I should have seen it coming” is exactly the same as in Darkness on the Old Ideas album.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LizC

Post by LizC »

Gorgeous, wonderful poetry, as always...

I find myself reading this to the rhythm of Almost Like The Blues
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Actually, i find it impossible to read this without , in my mind's ear,hearing Leonard's beautiful voice .
I'm very grateful for that !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

cohenadmirer wrote:Actually, i find it impossible to read this without , in my mind's ear,hearing Leonard's beautiful voice .
Very true, same here!

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Just noticed more people have now viewed this thread than its new album counterpart! Hope Leonard hasn't inadvertently sabotaged You Want It Darker's PR campaign...

A temporary phenomenon I'm sure but Happens in the Heart more than deserves its moment in the limelight.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

JudasPriest wrote:Just noticed more people have now viewed this thread than its new album counterpart!
Not necessarily: this thread has more views, but it could be that many of the same people are coming back to this one repeatedly, perhaps to re-read the wonderful new poem numerous times. Once people have read about the new album, unless they have some inexplicable fetish about song-length that they must go on about, there is not much reason to return to that thread.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Decent point Lisa....
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

Thank you dear
Leonard for sharing this priceless poem with us. Thank you Jarkko for posting it. What another masterpiece from the one and only Man we all love so much. He has given us so much over the years and now this. I do too, hear his voice while reading it. It is truly a jewel.
And yes Pironi I feel the same.
mutti

Post by mutti »

cohenadmirer wrote:
Actually, i find it impossible to read this without , in my mind's ear,hearing Leonard's beautiful voice .
Exactly what I thought too!
Thank you Leonard for sharing this with us and weaving such beauty with your words.
Leslie PY 8)
Last edited by mutti on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Filipe Vaz Pardal

Post by Filipe Vaz Pardal »

Not easy to understand and grasp everything at the first time. This is the good thing of Cohen. You go back to the stuff over and over again, and with the sensation that you'll always get something new, even from the same lines which will have different meanings depending on how and where you are in your personal journey...Many Thanks!
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

multicolouredme wrote:Beautiful. A life's reckoning and re evaluation.
Well put, multicolouredme.

Many thanks for this superb present !

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
Diane

Post by Diane »

exquisite.
Boss

Post by Boss »

Caught it just in time.

Ps. Who is it about, Leonard?
'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer' - Albert Camus

Return to “Thanks for the Dance”