Leonard's new song in Peaky Blinders

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Leonard's new song in Peaky Blinders

Post by jarkko »

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-o ... d-11287763
Peaky Blinders star Cillian Murphy has revealed the full, poignant connection between the drama and David Bowie.

The star spoke about his relationship with the music legend, who died earlier this year, ahead of the Peaky Blinders premiere in Birmingham on Wednesday, May 4.

The actor, who greeted fans at the red carpet event at the Mailbox along with the show's creator Steven Knight, also revealed how Leonard Cohen has written a new track for the show.
Leonard Cohen's music will also appear in the third series, which is screened on BBC2 from Thursday, May 5 at 9pm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ruise.html
Set in the 1920s, Peaky Blinders tells the story of the real life gang of the same name that operated in Birmingham in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and who got their moniker from their gruesome practice of sewing razor blades into the peaks of their caps so that they could then be used as weapons.
It is the little known Birmingham-set crime drama that has found its star-studded audience 5,000 miles away – in Hollywood.

Boasting fans including Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts, Peaky Blinders is the latest drama to take the world of showbusiness by storm.

Returning to BBC Two for its third series next week, its audience reads like a roll call of top stars, with Steven Spielberg, Stephen King, Leonard Cohen, Ed Sheeran, Jason Statham, John Terry, Jose Mourinho and rapper Snoop Dogg all devoted followers.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
astranger

Re: Leonard's new song in Peaky Blinders

Post by astranger »

Hopefully a tease of more new songs!
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

But no sound ?
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you for the post, Jarkko.

I never thought I would be interested in anything about gangs, but since Leonard apparently likes the show enough to write a song for it, I decided to check it out, & it's really very interesting. Artistically, everything about it is quite beautiful - the camera work, the acting, the soundtrack - & the character development is wonderful; I find myself really empathizing with characters who, on the surface, one might think were just ruthless, violent criminals; but the show portrays them as multi-faceted, complex human beings with alot of heart & depth of feeling; in fact, I'd say it portrays a total reversal of roles, in the sense that the gang members, in many ways, become the "good guys", & the members of the police force are the "scoundrels". I'm almost at the end of season 1, then on to season 2, & season 3 won't be available here until May 31. The info posted seems to say that Leonard wrote a song for season 3, but do we know if they will actually use the song? I hope so - Leonard's voice & style would be absolutely perfect for this show! I'm surprised we haven't heard from any of our British forum members, because season 3 has already begun there. . .I so look forward to hearing Leonard in season 3; but the other issue is that they usually only use parts of songs in TV shows, so I also hope that there will be a way for us to hear the whole song, by some means. . .

Thanks again for alerting us to this.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The info posted seems to say that Leonard wrote a song for season 3, but do we know if they will actually use the song?
they usually only use parts of songs in TV shows, so I also hope that there will be a way for us to hear the whole song, by some means.
***Leonard did not write the song for the show; the producers are just using part of this new song on the soundtrack (yes, we will hear it in one of the episodes). The song is going to be one of the tracks on the next album.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
KarlAngela

Post by KarlAngela »

Cant wait to hear the song on the next album and all the others. Hope it will be soon but I saw the reference to being patient and trying my best to be patient> :) :)
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

Speaking as a devotee of Peaky Blinders, it's marvellous news that we can look forward to an amuse-bouche comprising some new music by LC during the current third series/season.

Two episodes have been broadcast to date and we've been treated to plenty of the majestic Radiohead plus the customary blasts of Nick Cave and PJ Harvey.
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
holydove

Post by holydove »

jarkko wrote:
***Leonard did not write the song for the show; the producers are just using part of this new song on the soundtrack (yes, we will hear it in one of the episodes). The song is going to be one of the tracks on the next album.
Thank you for clarifying that, Jarkko. Looking forward to hearing that song, & all the songs on the new album!!
areyouhungup

Post by areyouhungup »

Not watched it yet, might have to start now!
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

Last night's third episode included music by PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Arctic Monkeys and the great Tom Waits...but there was no sign of LC.
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

hongkong9

Post by hongkong9 »

It seems the new song is called "You Want It Darker" (according to Jarkko's list of LC songs on soundtracks
(http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/filmo.html)

Richard
mutti

Post by mutti »

I had never heard of Peaky Blinders before. I have it on Netflix streaming and heard part of Leonard's new song!!! I had to fast forward as I haven't watched it yet and it looks quite heavy. Great music from Nick Cave and others. I am going to watch from the beginning I think.
The song is Season 3 Episode 5 at 43:49.
Oh it was so nice to hear Leonard's voice again singing something completely new.
Big smile on my face.
Leslie (Mutti)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

hongkong9 wrote:It seems the new song is called "You Want It Darker" (according to Jarkko's list of LC songs on soundtracks
(http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/filmo.html)

Richard
Great detective work, Richard!
:-)

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland

Return to “News”