Terrible news from Hydra

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Wybe
Site Admin

Terrible news from Hydra

Post by Wybe »

I had a mail with a terrible message.

http://www.protothema.gr/greece/article ... stin-udra/

Google Translate :
Unprecedented fierce crime Hydra.

Hard Georgian robbers stormed at dawn Sunday in known restaurateur residence in Hydra, gagged and tied him and his wife, grabbed all the money there was in the house and disappeared. The 67chronos Manolis Oikonomou left his last breath and consider whether police officers tortured and molested by robbers or intruders came from pathological causes due to pressure while 56chroni wife Christina Mertzani managed to solve and to inform the police.
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Terrible news from Hydra

Post by jarkko »

This is so shocking. Many of us have enjoyed the hospitality of Cristina and her husband Manolis at their wonderful restaurant for so many years. How awful that this kind of cruel crime can happen on the peaceful island of Hydra.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

From Nicolas:
We all get shocked,we don't believe it.lt seems like lie, but it is true.Three robbers came into Manolis house and steel about 40000eur.The house up side down.Manolis and Cristina were sleeping on their bed ,when attact them.They beat them both ,tied them and Manolis couldn't to breath ,and after a few minutes without breath ,he died.Cristina is o.k. l talked with her but she was lucky because she bteath a little ,they didn't tie the type very tie they were in a hurry.Police,have cach 3 men with big suspicios,because they tried to leave the island by boat around 3 o'clock at night,by taxi boat.Μanolis,he use to give us the quitat.Tomorrow, more news.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
basecamp

Terrible news from Hydra

Post by basecamp »

Terrible and sad news. I'm shocked.
- Hans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Caren

Post by Caren »

My thoughts are with Christina, her family and friends. Such terrible news from the most peaceful place I have ever visited.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Dem

Post by Dem »

I was surprised to hear today on the radio about a crime
on Hydra and when I check ed the news in the Internet
my surprise turned to shock when I realized that the victim
was Mr Manolis from "Christina and Manolis" tavern:

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/08 ... ra-island/

According to the latest reports the police in Hydra have
arrested σεωεν suspects of Georgian (ex-Soviet Union) descent
and two more probably managed to escape from the island
with the money.

It is not clear at this time if some of them
where working in the tavern.

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
bogra

Post by bogra »

What a terrible news!! That this can happen on our beautiful and peaceful Hydra and to such lovely people as Christina and Manolis!! We can hardly believe it. Is there a way we can let Christina know how much we feel the pain for her loss and the anxiety she must have felt when all this happened? Aad & Gery
2008: Amsterdam / 2009: Antwerp / 2010: Strasbourg - Las Vegas / 2012: Gent - Amsterdam - Dublin - Verona - Lisbon / 2013: Brussels - Lucca - Rotterdam - Amsterdam - Perth - Melbourne
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I didn't know Cristina and Manolis (it's years since I was last on Hydra) but that does not make the news any less shocking. My condolences to Cristina and their families and to those who have known and loved them over the years.

But .... is that figure right - that the thieves took 40,000 Euros? It seems foolhardy in this day and age to keep that sort of money on the premises, even on Hydra.

Wendy
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

bogra wrote:What a terrible news!! That this can happen on our beautiful and peaceful Hydra and to such lovely people as Christina and Manolis!! We can hardly believe it. Is there a way we can let Christina know how much we feel the pain for her loss and the anxiety she must have felt when all this happened? Aad & Gery
We are already working on a way to let her know our feelings .
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Are we going to gather some money to send a tribute or gift of some kind?
newfoundland--understand?
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

i´m so very sorry to hear this terrible news....spent such lovely times at christina & manolis...speechless
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

But .... is that figure right - that the thieves took 40,000 Euros? It seems foolhardy in this day and age to keep that sort of money on the premises, even on Hydra.
*** cash is still in Greece because they can't trust that the banks are kept open. Also there might be strict limits for bank transfers.
Are we going to gather some money to send a tribute or gift of some kind?
Is there a way we can let Christina know how much we feel the pain for her loss
***We have already emailed Lakis and asked him to have flowers with our condolences delivered to Cristina tomorrow.
mutti

Post by mutti »

such sad news and such a tragedy. My condolences. That is very kind you sent flowers Jarkko. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
tip of the lily

Post by tip of the lily »

Hydra always felt safer than safe for me, and I considered the island as a paradise with harmony and peace.

The cruelty and lack of mercy towards this lovely and hard working couple is beyond words ; I am in shock.

My thoughts are with Cristina and the people in Hydra.

Lydia
rotterdam 2008
gent 2010
hydra 2011
ghent 2012
amsterdam 2012
brussels 2013
rotterdam 2013
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

the idea of "our" little paradise has got a deep shadow
i´m very sad and sorry for christina, her family and the hydriots
ute
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013

Return to “News”