Terrible news from Hydra

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Terrible news from Hydra

Post by jarkko »

We can cover the costs of the flowers (70 eur) from the bench money but I don't think we can go any further.
We have understood that Cristina needs - and is getting - psychiatric therapy while everything else is now secondary. Financial, insurance and other legal issues will certainly be solved later with the help of authorities, lawyers and financial experts.
Lakis will keep us updated, and one of our members (Frauke) is now on the island.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Goldin, please carefully reread what I posted. I said nothing about HydraArk, I said "nonprofit organization(s) that benefit the overall community."

Why try to promote arguments where none exist, especially at this sad time?

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, Cristina's psychiatric needs following this trauma are what's most important now. I'm glad to know that she's already under care. The financial stuff will get sorted later. Our flowers are the gesture that clearly say we care.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

The fundamental problem is that all Greek banks are bankrupt at the moment (40% of all debts are non-performing) and will remain so for some weeks yet I reckon. As a result, Greeks are keeping vastly more money in their homes than usual. And that makes Greece a hugely attractive target for international robbers.

My information from the island is that on Saturday night Manoli was suspicious of this group who were troublesome in the taverna, and that Christine recognised that they were from Georgia from their language, as she had employed Georgians before. It sounds like the robbery was opportunistic rather than carefully planned, perhaps vengeance for Manoli's atttude, for what foreigner is stupid enough to kill a popular local on an island and then try to escape not in a pre-positioned boat but in a sea-taxi?

It is just as well that the police moved the suspects to Athens immediately as I suspect they would otherwise have been lynched.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I don't know what you're saying regarding Manoli's attitude. When they hired people from that region to begin with, what would the attitude be? If the people were being disruptive, the owner's reaction to that would have been expected. It could well have been an opportunistic crime, pure and simple, which puts other owners and shopkeepers at risk, as well, because you're right that the Greek economic crisis is predictably going to result in people having more cash on hand.

I wish they HAD been kept on the island and been dealt with accordingly. I just hope the remaining two are caught, and that the Greek judicial system is more straightforward, more certain, and swifter than ours in the U.S.
~ Oscar Wilde
harald

Post by harald »

Yes, dear Jarkko, just the cost of the flowers. I think it´s perfectly in line with the idea of our bench funds - surplus to spend on Hydra.
It is only a small gesture.
With the death of a beloved one there is vitually nothing that helps, there´s only grief and sorrow.
Money comes by far second.
(Btw we do not know the financial situation of Christina, and yes, we hardly could use the bench funds for greater individual support.)
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Dem

Post by Dem »

To clarify a bit about the Georgians who are charged
with Manolis robbery and death although the reports here
are somewhat confusing:

It seems there are 11 Georgians in total.
9 members of the gang and the 2 waiters in the tavern.
7 were arrested but the other 2 (a man and a woman)
managed to escape from Hydra with the loot.
Police think they are an organized
gang responsible also for previous robberies in Athens
(some of them had been jailed before).

They arrived on Hydra on Saturday looking for possible targets.
At night they went for dinner to Manolis and Christina's
tavern and there they probably managed to "fish" information from
their two compatriots who worked in the tavern.

As of now it seems that the two waiters are not involved in the robbery
and have not been arrested.

These are the 7:
http://www.news.gr/ellada/astynomiko-de ... a-ton.html

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Very sad news indeed, another senseless crime. My condolences to Christina and their family.
" ........... if one can describe as serious the confused comedy of our lives". Graham Greene, "The Comedians".
phillip

Post by phillip »

what is this world coming too
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm afraid they all look very strong, very cold, and very scary.
It's anxiety producing to just look at their photos.
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

My deepest condolences to Christina, family and friends. With such a horrific crime, no words can truly comfort them at this time. I am so sorry this terrible act occurred to such lovely hospitable people.

Thank you Jarkko for sending the flowers and I agree with Harald that surplus bench funds should be used to cover the cost. If it is decided that they are not to be used, we will gladly contribute to their cost.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Our member Frauke is still on the island, and has heard that Cristina's son may re-open the tavern next Spring, but not before March. He is a professional cook.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm so hoping that Cristina and her family may be able to put some pieces of their lives back together after such a total shattering.

Thanks to Frauke and you, Jarkko, for giving us this update. I haven't wanted to ask, but have wondered every day how things are for Cristina and Hydra.
~ Oscar Wilde
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Thank you , Jarkko for the up-date, i´m thinking so often about Christina and the whole situation.
it would be so good to reopen the restaurant with her son, the the Lifework of Christina & Manolis would be continued
Ute
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I am on the island now. I met Christina, dressed in black, on the path below my house and gave her a big hug and asked if there was anything we could do. She looked, as you would expect, totally shattered. I doubt she has eaten anything for a while. As generous as ever, her response was to ask after my children!

However, she was accompanied by an older woman, who was clearly keeping a protective eye on her, plus a small energetic little girl (perhaps a grand-daughter?) Children are really the only comfort at a time like this.

I was angry to read that two of the suspects had only recently been released on parole, under a new law. Why weren't they immediatey deported?
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988

Return to “News”