Joni Mitchell

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Cheshire gal

Joni Mitchell

Post by Cheshire gal »

I am very sorry to hear that Joni Mitchell's health has taken a turn for the worse. She is in a coma right now and the prognosis looks very bad indeed. So very sad.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
regensburg

Re: Joni Mitchell

Post by regensburg »

I just read it in FB. This is so sad. She had a lot of influence on Leonard when he first started out.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Franks

Post by Franks »

Check out the statement on the official Joni Mitchell web site.
According to the site she is not in a coma.
Leslie Morris, who is with Joni in the hospital, has approved the following statement to be made through JoniMitchell.com: "Contrary to rumors circulating on the Internet today, Joni is not in a coma. Joni is still in the hospital - but she comprehends, she’s alert, and she has her full senses. A full recovery is expected. The document obtained by a certain media outlet simply gives her longtime friend Leslie Morris the authority - in the absence of 24-hour doctor care - to make care decisions for Joni once she leaves the hospital. As we all know, Joni is a strong-willed woman and is nowhere near giving up the fight. Please continue to keep Joni in your thoughts." You may add your well wishes for her at the website WeLoveYouJoni.com
http://jonimitchell.com/
Frank.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/05/29/up ... n-aneurysm
Update: Joni Mitchell Moved to Rehab, “Improving” After Brain Aneurysm

by Roger Friedman - May 29, 2015 12:30 am

Joni Mitchell, revered and beloved, is improving my sources say, after a brain aneurysm felled her on March 31st. I am told definitively that she didn’t have a stroke, and that’s a relief. Recently Joni was moved to a rehab facility. The word among her friends is that her pal, Leslie Morris, who stepped in to take care of her, is trying to arrange a way Joni can continue her rehab at home.

“It’s a long way to go, but she can do it,” a friend tells me.

Morris, who is said to be an excellent choice for all this, has not returned emails I’ve sent her. But the news is encouraging for Mitchell, who will be 72 this November. She is not unresponsive, as other outlets have suggested. Speech is difficult but she’s communicating. Knowing Joni, she’s getting her ideas across without fail.

Sending prayers and good thoughts for a speedy recovery to Joni, a true artist and a huge influence on all music.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

This is encouraging news, Linda.
Just surviving a brain aneurysm is a miracle in itself.
Wishing Joni all possible healing.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

An aneurysm would usually only ' fell somebody' ,and cause neuropsychological problems such as speech deficit, if it ruptured .Inspite of what is written there it sounds like she is in effect having post stroke rehabilitation .
Hope she makes a good recovery and finally , like leonard , gives up smoking ! It's very sad that she has struggled with her health for some years now.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

cohenadmirer wrote:An aneurysm would usually only ' fell somebody' ,and cause neuropsychological problems such as speech deficit, if it ruptured .Inspite of what is written there it sounds like she is in effect having post stroke rehabilitation.
It strikes me that someone is being quite economical with the truth in these updates. I read the court papers relating to the application for conservatorship and the doctor's report stated quite clearly that her capacity was seriously impaired in several respects.

Still, the important thing is that she is making progress. I too hope that she can make a good recovery.

Wendy
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Latest news - late june -is she is recovering at home but has lost the power to speak and it is indeed clear that she suffered a bleed in her brain
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I saw the same thing regarding her having had an aneurysm and that she's unable to speak as a result.
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://variety.com/2015/music/news/joni ... ds=1423874
June 28, 2015 | 02:36PM PT
Alex Stedman
News Editor, Variety.com @a_sted

Good news for Joni Mitchell and her fans: The legendary singer seems to be moving toward full recovery.

Mitchell’s conservator, Leslie Morris, posted an update on the singer’s condition on her official website following her aneurysm in March.

“Joni did in fact suffer an aneurysm,” the statement says. “However, details that have emerged in the past few days are mostly speculative. The truth is that Joni is speaking, and she’s speaking well. She is not walking yet, but she will be in the near future as she is undergoing daily therapies. She is resting comfortably in her own home and she’s getting better each day. A full recovery is expected.”

Morris is likely referring to the comments made by David Crosby, Mitchell’s longtime friend, who sparked worry earlier this week when he spoke about her condition.

“I have not spoken with her,” he told HuffPost Live. “To my knowledge she is not speaking yet. She is home, she is in care, she is recovering. She took a terrible hit. She had an aneurysm, and nobody found her for a while. And she’s going to have to struggle back from it the way you struggle back from a traumatic brain injury.”

71-year-old Mitchell was rushed to the hospital on March 31 after collapsing in her Los Angeles home.
Statement from Leslie Morris at Joni's website - http://jonimitchell.com/
Jun 28: Update on Joni's health
Leslie Morris, Joni's conservator, has approved the following statement to be made through JoniMitchell.com: "Joni did in fact suffer an aneurysm. However, details that have emerged in the past few days are mostly speculative. The truth is that Joni is speaking, and she's speaking well. She is not walking yet, but she will be in the near future as she is undergoing daily therapies. She is resting comfortably in her own home and she's getting better each day. A full recovery is expected." You may leave your well wishes for Joni at WeLoveYouJoni.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

All I can say, given the backs and forths and the "quite economical with the truth"s, as WEndy so well nailed it, is... here's hoping, and wishing Joni the best! It does seem that Crosby wasn't well informed enough to be making any statements that might be taken as definitive, as things in the celebrity world tend to be.

Thanks for these latest updates, Linda.
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://mynewsla.com/hollywood/2015/07/0 ... ld-remain/
Joni Mitchell’s health better, but lawyer still wants conservatorship
Posted by Debbie L. Sklar on July 7, 2015 in Hollywood

An attorney appointed by a judge to represent Joni Mitchell says in court papers filed Tuesday that although the singer’s health has improved, she should remain under a conservatorship.

“While (Mitchell) has made great progress toward recovery, the capacity declaration of (neurologist Paul Vespa) indicates that she lacks capacity to make informed medical decisions,” lawyer Rebecca Thyne wrote. “I agreed that (Mitchell) still needs assistance with such decisions.”

Last month, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge David Cunningham named the 71-year-old singer’s longtime friend, Leslie Morris of Sherman Oaks, as temporary conservator, giving her interim authority to oversee Mitchell’s care, but not her finances and business interests.

A hearing is scheduled Wednesday on Morris’ bid to be named Mitchell’s permanent conservator.

On March 31, Mitchell was taken to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center to undergo tests after collapsing at her Bel Air home. Mitchell was found unconscious at home, but regained consciousness in an ambulance en route to a hospital, according to her website.

Thyne says in her court papers that Mitchell was unresponsive when she visited the singer at the hospital on April 30. But when she went to the “Big Yellow Taxi” singer’s home on June 26, Mitchell was sitting at her kitchen table eating lunch.

Mitchell said she was pleased with Morris’ role as her temporary conservator and that she would like her friend’s authority to be extended, according to Thyne.

“She also told me that she receives excellent care from caregivers around the clock,” Thyne states in her court papers. “It was clear that she was happy to be home and that she has made remarkable progress. She has physical therapy each day and is expected to make a full recovery.”

—City News Service
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

This is good news. Thank you for updating us sturgess66.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

"Get well, Joni" - Adam Cohen at Mariposa Folk Festival
https://www.facebook.com/AdamCohenMusic ... 3126013510

Return to “News”