Esther Cohen

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Eva

Re: Esther Cohen

Post by Eva » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:57 pm

Very sad news. Would like to extend my deepest sympathies to Leonard Cohen & family. Met Esther at the 2000 Event here in Montreal & was overwhelmed by her kindness & how she welcomed us as she toured us through Leonard Cohen's house. The photo posted by Jarkko is how I remember her best! What a stylish, classy lady! She was so proud of her brother & so happy to share her love with us. She introduced me to Leonard Cohen at Joe's Pub in NYC & for that I will be forever grateful. May she rest in peace.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
lightning

Post by lightning » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Esther Cohen alive and beaming as she unveils her brother's plaque at the Chelsea Hotel in N.Y.C 10/23/09:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jivJyTXT7M
mutti

Post by mutti » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:36 pm

So sad to hear this news about Esther. My sincere condolences to Leonard and his children and grandchildren.
I am happy that I had the chance to meet Esther on 2 occasions and will never forget her smile and how kind she was.
May her memory be for a blessing.
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
jeremek

Post by jeremek » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:16 am

My sincere condolences to Mr.Cohen and Family.
Beata
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:25 am

Deepest condolences to Leonard and his family.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:30 am

This sad news to hear of Esther's passing. My condolences to Leonard and his whole family.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
clawless

Post by clawless » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:00 am

Condolences to Leonard. I know he was close with his sister. May her soul rest in peace.
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:24 am

It doesn't appear that this has been posted here. Here's the link to Esther's obit in The Montreal Gazette. There is a place to leave condolences.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/montre ... =172404807
Marie
Speaking Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:54 am

With every time I saw, spoke with, and observed Esther interacting with me or others, she had a very natural, easy elegance underscored by her vivaciousness and vitality. I've always been a 'floor sitter' [just something about it that I've always loved and taken to naturally], so when we were in New York watching Sylvie Simmons perform in the basement venue that was so 'Sixties' coffee house in nature, I was delighted to notice Esther come in and so gracefully sit on the floor in the center area. She arose with the same ease and grace when the show ended. When I commented to her about it, her response was matter-of-fact, as though everyone did this, with "Of course! Why not :D ?" which I loved 8) ~ Jarkko's photo of her sitting on the steps on Hydra is just 'so Esther'!

When Esther made a toast in the back of the restaurant where we gathered to watch Ali and Sylvie perform, she raised her glass in closing with "Bon appetit!" in a way that, unlike some toasts which seem self-conscious and feigned, was as natural and comfortable to Esther as saying "Good morning!" as if she had been making delightful toasts all her life. With beaming smiles, we applauded our appreciation. She always seemed to be as grateful to be with us as we felt privileged and grateful to have her there. She was our precious gift.

Esther was also so very very proud of Leonard and enthusiastic about anything and everything that related to him. She showed Leonard's characteristic humility when I once told her that she was a celebrity in her own right with Leonard's followers.

When Sylvie said Esther's smile lit up a room, she couldn't have been more literal. Her eyes and her smile came together as one as they reflected off each other and increased the brilliance. It can be seen in photo after photo and was even more intense in person.

When seeing Esther at any kind of gathering, it became expected to see Dick and Linda nearby or mostly at her side. Their friendship was a very special one and seeing them as a trio was the norm.

My heart goes out to Leonard as Esther took with her the so tangible connection of memory and ties to their shared past and beloved parents.

Esther... so many of us miss you already and we will always miss you.

Love,
Elizabeth
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Cate

Post by Cate » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:15 am

Very sad news.
My condolences to all of her friends and family.
lightning

Post by lightning » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:21 am

And... there appeared to be no sibling rivalry, although Leonard was in the limelight, besieged with admiring fans, and she was living a simpler, more private life. She called him "my brother" and was glad for his good fortune.
Boss

Post by Boss » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:19 am

I am very sorry.
Be at peace, now.
2009 - Melbourne
2013 - Melbourne, Brisbane
dar

Post by dar » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:43 am

Dick and Linda,
So sorry to hear about the death of your close friend Esther. I know you both were very close to her. You did manage to form a deep friendship during the later stages of your lives. I think that made it very special and precious. My sincerest condolences.
alikatis

Post by alikatis » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:16 am

dear dick and linda,

i've told the story quite a few times of meeting you both in nyc post show a few years ago when we played leonard cohen koans at the new york fringe, and of your introduction to me of esther - the little old blonde lady sitting front and centre wearing that fabulous blue bolero and tortoise shell shades, whom i was scared we might just deafen with our interpretation of Avalanche. whom, it was quite obvious, could ONLY reveal as leonard cohen's sister once her shades came down in the dimly lit la poisson rouge to unhide those bright and familiar eyes as she gushed about our show and i stood - fairly gobsmacked - hoping the friend standing beside me was noting every word i knew i wasn't hearing, while the rest of my band struck the set.

in spending time with you it was obvious that your friendship with esther brought all three of you great enjoyment. i am so sorry to know that you have lost your friend, but i am so happy to know that you had such a one.

in esther cohen i met a spunky woman of style, grace, generosity, and a humour which had me baited before i even saw the line.
much love, esther, for a gentle passage onward.
much love, those grieving, as a tiny balm to the ache of your precious hearts.

most sincerely,
ali hughes
quetzalcoatl80

Post by quetzalcoatl80 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:44 am

For his loving family, she is an immense loss. Esther was a so friendly and sun person.
To define her...an inforgettable smile, a tried and tested joy of living, a lively spirit.
That she rests in peace and continue to watch over Léonard , his children and his family.
"Don't cry her loss but delight to have know her" Sénèque

"Death is nothing at all,
I have only slipped into the next room
I am I and you are you
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by my old familiar name.
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used
Put not difference in your tone,
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household world that it always was,
Let it be spoken without effect, without the trace of shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It it the same as it ever was, there is unbroken continuaty.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near,
Just around the corner.
All is well."
Henry Scott Holland

Return to “News”