Finally in English: So Long Marianne - A Love Story

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Finally in English: So Long Marianne - A Love Story

Post by jarkko »

Marianne's memoirs have finally been translated into English!
I got my book today. It's available from all big online shops both in print and also as eBook.

If you have purchased the print edition, you will get also the eBook for free.

Here are the details, copied from leonardcohenfiles.com/ihlen.html
Photos and more about the book in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12567

Title So Long, Marianne - A Love Story
Author Kari Hesthamar
Translated by Helle V. Goldman
Canada 2014
Publisher ECW Press, Toronto, Canada
Pages 220 pages
ISBN 9781770411289
hardcover
Language: English
eBook also available
"The story of the enigmatic beauty who captured the hearts of two extraordinary men At 22, Marianne Ihlen travelled to the Greek island of Hydra with Norwegian writer Axel Jensen. While Axel wrote, Marianne kept house, until Axel abandoned her and their newborn son for another woman. One day while Marianne was shopping in a little grocery store, in walked a man who asked her to join him and some friends outside at their table. He introduced himself as Leonard Cohen, then a little-known Canadian poet.

Complemented by previously unpublished poems, letters, and photographs, So Long, Marianne is an intimate, honest account of Marianne’s life story — from her youth in Oslo, her romance with Axel, to her life in an international artists’ colony on Hydra in the 1960s, and beyond. The subject of one of the most beautiful love songs of all time, Marianne Ihlen proves to be more than a muse to Axel and Leonard; her journey of selfdiscovery, of romance and heartache is lovingly recounted in So Long, Marianne.

Award-winning journalist Kari Hesthamar wrote this book based on lengthy conversations with Marianne Ihlen and supplemented by interviews with Leonard Cohen".
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HelenD

Re: Finally in English: So Long Marianne - A Love Story

Post by HelenD »

According to Amazon UK the Kindle version is available from 1st June but the hardcover version is not out until 17 July :?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

That's strange, Helen! The hardcover version has been listed already for about two weeks at adlibris.fi, and my copy arrived in 3 days. Maybe amazon gives the official date but is ready to deliver much earlier.

Also at www.cdon.com. 15.20 eur, delivery in 5- days.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Amazon.com (USA) has it listed as "In Stock" - the price is $18.04
(Free shopping with orders over $35)

http://www.amazon.com/So-Long-Marianne- ... 1770411283
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Amazon UK are insistent that the book will not be published in Europe until July 17 Jarkko. I had a long correspondence with them at the beginning of the month. It's very strange, especially as the publisher is the Canadian publisher and the ISBN number is the same as the North American edition which has been available since last month, but they would not move from the July 17 date.

I got my copy a couple of weeks ago from here:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD ... 2Bmarianne

A number of other people from the UK and throughout Europe have also successfully ordered from the Book Depository via Abebooks. They are cheaper than Amazon and, I believe, offer free shipping throughout Europe. The book took about a week to arrive at a UK address.

[If you have already ordered from Amazon UK you can always cancel your order via Manage My Account].

Wendy
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I received my book, via Amazon, a week or so ago and am enjoying it very much.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Thanks for that link Wendy. I have ordered through Abe Books and delivery is quoted as 1-3 days and the price was a bit cheaper than Amazon :D

I had a similar problem with Amazon before Christmas when they said that a book was not published when it was. My cousin had actually written the book and so she knew it had been published. In the end, the publisher contacted Amazon to sort it out.

Helen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That Free Shipping for over $35 orders from the U.S. Amazon is for orders being sent in the U.S. only... or at least not to Europe. Maybe they'd ship free to Canada. Not sure.

I got mine awhile back, read it [LOVED it!], commented on it a LOT on FB [avoiding specific details, not wanting to spoil anything for those who can't read it, yet]. Have been going to copy & paste my comments over to here. So, maybe I'll now find the time to scroll back to where they are [i.e. find them] and do that.

WONDERFUL book :D
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Glad you got to order the book Helen. The 1-3 days is when they'll ship rather than delivery but you should have the book within the week.

Jarkko - you mentioned a free eBook if you bought a printed copy. How does that work? Is the offer available for all or does it depend where you purchased the book?

Thanks

Wendy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The offer is printed on the very last page of the book. You have to email ECW with details where the book was purchased + receipt number ("Proof of purchase required" - they may also ask for a scan of the receipt). The eBook will be sent by email (PDF and ePub formats available).
So it is a bonus to every buyer of the print edition! (I ordered the pdf book yesterday, has not arrived yet)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thanks Jarkko. I hadn't spotted that at all!

Wendy
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Jarkko!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Thanks Jarkko and Wendy
5 mins after sending an email to the address at the end of the book.
I received the ebook.
I was so impressed!
Thanks for the offer to obtain an ebook version of a book that I've purchased.
It's a great idea,thanks again.

Name of book......So Long Marianne. A Love Story
Author.... Kari Hesthamar
Bought from ......The Book Depository (Abe Books)
Order ID .......xxxxxxxxxx

Format requested. ..... Ebook

Hope this is the required information
Cheers
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Jenny Hume

Post by Jenny Hume »

Sitting with friends sailing from the Cycladic Islands to the Saronic Islands listening to LC.
Unfortunately we won't be visiting Hydra, but how lovely to be able to order the book just now.
Should have the book to read by the time I return home to Australia.
Jenny
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Great to return home to, Jenny. Wish you could have had it with you as you traveled. The perfect place to read it, Hydra or not.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”