Here are our latest plans for the 2016 Edmonton International Leonard Cohen Event Thursday September 29th through Sunday, October 2nd 2016. We are meeting with the Edmonton Arts Council tomorrow about funding:
The 30th Anniversary of the Edmonton International Film Festival in 2016 presents
An Edmonton Creative Life Celebration
What: Taking place the first few days of the 2016 Edmonton International Film Festival, the celebration is built upon the spirit of Leonard Cohen.
Fifty years ago, in the autumn of 1966, Mr. Cohen lived and worked in Edmonton for a number of weeks. As a successful and acclaimed Canadian poet, he had been invited to be a writer-in-residence at the University of Alberta. This proved to be a seminal period of his life, a time when he decided to pursue a career as a full time performing songwriter, in addition to the other creative sides of his life. It was a watershed in his career and a time that many around Edmonton remember with great warmth.
This grass roots celebration encourages Edmonton artists to produce work in all genre’s in the spirit of Leonard Cohen, through use of his work as fodder for new endeavours and new artistic statements or simply to use the inspiration of his creative life as role model.
When: The first weekend of the 2016 Edmonton International Film Festival, Thursday September 29th through Sunday, October 2nd 2016. The full Festival runs Thursday, September 29th – Saturday, October 8th
Who: Core Organizing Group under the auspices of EIFF: Kerrie Long, Kim Solez, Mallory Chipman, Ann Vriend, Brian Dunsmore, Community resources
Where: Multiple Venues around the city
Activities, partial list:
• Film screenings; w. Edmonton Film Society (various films about LC. etc)
• Film production: a 3 day film short on the theme
• A possible concert with a strong LC connection perhaps, ie Sharon Robinson, and Sylvie Simmons,
• Literary seminars: capital E on campus seminars around theme
• Open mic opportunities: café/s or clubs. Hosted
• Guest speaker/s: authors, editors of LC material, ie Sylvie Simons and Sharon Robinson. Daniel Richler,
• Art exhibition: AGA or FAB on album covers or other visual materials + new works by Edmonton artists
• Creative life as part of school classroom work (partner w school/ or system)
• Poetry reading/s: formal and informal, in English classes, cafes and bookstores
• Jazz performance/s: ie Yardbird Suite sponsored event (a new work/s to be produced)
• Architectural observations/insights?: w. Alberta Association of Architects