Auschwitz..60 years on..

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Jim Rotonda

Post by Jim Rotonda » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:35 pm

Midnight wrote:
I knew this was where this thread would end up.

Wow!
Have feelings become so partisan that we no longer listen to each other.
My post was an attempt to address catherine’s question – How could this happen; and in the process speak to the issue of psychology and institutions brought up by
Tchocolatl

The point of the Cohen quote is that it becomes difficult to see what is happening to a culture from the inside.
When a political culture becomes insular it can evolve toward all manner of horrors as detailed in “The Future”
I am suggesting that part of this process is the perversion of language.
“Collateral damage” is a disgusting euphemism from any point of view.
Jim
Jim Rotonda

Post by Jim Rotonda » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:56 am

Thank you for that poem Joe
It brings to mind the second verse of “Suzanne”
You're beginning to remind me of Garrison Keilor
I mean that as a compliment.
Jim
bee

Post by bee » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:07 am

Jim, who is Garrison/harrison keilor? and why and how it would not be a compliment?
bee
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:17 am

Tchoco- I've tried and tried and one more,- using both parts of my brain- i stared at the screan and tried again,- but I could not get any sense of what you were saying. Crying or Very sad a bit of that&this, and again- no sense.
Try to use both parts of your brain in synergy instead of one after another (btw brain has more then two parts - usually :wink: It may be a case of "lasy hypotalamus". Another wink), or more practically replace in imagination my comas where they should be and "erase and correct" typos. Take your time.

2X2? hum... :roll: I do not think that we need so much money to be happy. And women usually have a salary half the salary of men for a work of equal importance. So, number or not, you see... Here, you know, justice is more important for me than money. It is more difficult for women, money talking, this is true and this is no justice. It makes me mad.

Well, this is not the subject here, however.

Jim (and whoever is interested) I have another psychologist for you :

Boris Cyrulnik :

http://www.unesco.org/courier/2001_11/uk/dires.htm
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:35 am

Secundo :

Since when, Bee, children have to rule the world? This is the responsibility of adults to take care of them, and to show them what life is, not the contrary.

To come back to the subject.

In society where total obedience to authorithy is strongly valued - hello "myghty sheeps of state" - people do not feel guilty when murdering other people when asked to do so. Nice. In other words, the responsibility for the act is not taking. "It is not my fault, he told me to do it". Nice. Really nice.

It is heartbreaking. Really.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
bee

Post by bee » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:37 am

Joe Way wrote:
For those who are wondering about the choices that we make, I offer you one of my favorite poems:
dear Joe- about the choices-one never know's what one would do under circumstances where one has to make the choice- between betrayal and saving ones skin/life. that is the all human drama. 99% would choose their own skin- the law of self preservation. I guess it prevails most of the time. Those who were given choices like- to be informer in order to get something better and sweeter and fatter for they lives, not under the threat to lose their lives,- the most dangerous ones, I think.
bee
bee

Post by bee » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:04 am

Since when, Bee, children have to rule the world
again, Tchoco- makes no sense- where did I say that children rule the world, or any such implication? what are you talking about??????
Here, you know, justice is more important for me than money. It is more difficult for women, money talking, this is true and this is no justice. It makes me mad.
what in the world the money making has to do with justice? since when?
I've got to manage my money and work affairs better! or I am lousy in doing that, it's all there is. nothing to do with me being a women, there can't be any of this justice cry.
jeez, either u're crazy or coming somewhere right out of 60th like a Sleeping Beauty.
bee
Jim Rotonda

Post by Jim Rotonda » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:25 am

Bee Wrote:
Jim, who is Garrison/harrison keilor? and why and how it would not be a compliment?
Humorist, author, radio show host
One of my favorite people.
A kind of modern day Will Rogers
I particularly recommend his 2002 book ‘Good Poems”

http://www.mindspring.com/~celestia/keillor/

I don’t know if Joe thinks highly of him, although I’ll bet he does.
Jim
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:55 am

My my, Bee, maybe after all, are you living with only two parts in your brain. Wow. No hypothalamus could be as lasy for sure.

So I'll try not to be a perturbator of your order. So. Certainly, my dear, women have no more social problems since they burned their bra. That solved everything. Fair salary has nothing to do with justice, either. Good management is the clue of all financial problems of less fortunate people.

But this is not the subject. I guess I am crasy to care about the subject also, since it happened before the 60 according to you logic (the one you act, not the one you say) and Jews have no more antisemitism problems since they have get out of camps.

And - oh! - do not forget! No personal sadistic behaviors are projected on mysterious "evil in the world" that is still there. By anybody. Certainly not by you. No.

Sleep tight!

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:00 am

bee wrote:Tom, please do specify- which of my opinions are fatally wrong, so you would not have to fight for my rights in vain?
No way, bee. We fought about some in the past, and I'm sure we'll discuss some more in future threads. There's no need to carry them into this one.

Tom

PS: Is there a chance to look at some of your paintings?
bee

Post by bee » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:22 am

Tom :lol: I just knew it, I knew it you would not 8)
Sure, I had not so good website, it is off now. My son keeps promising to make a new one for me, but so far it's not done. I can e-m photos of my paintings to you, if you wish. I have a pretty good digital camera, gives me the opportunity so save everything on my computer. I resize/resample to 80kb-100kb, it fits very well in e-m.
Paula and Lizzy have some of my paintings via e-m.
You-fatally wrong :lol:
bee
bee

Post by bee » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:33 am

Tchoco- I do not work on salary- painting is business of my own. If I do not make as much money as I wish I did, there is nobody to blame, but myself. Same would be if I was a man. Sure, money can't buy you love, but most certainly makes a large contribution to ones happiness and comfort.
As for your ongoing contempletation about my brain- it is freaky.
Don't scare me too much.
bee
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:43 am

Hi bee,

If you have artwork, I'd love to see some. Do you have links? Can you post any?

Linda
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
bee

Post by bee » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:39 pm

Jeez, Linda, now you give me a motivation to make the damn website :lol:
I was just sorting out my pics on computer, since telling Tom about sending some.
ok, I will send some to you. I don't know how to post on the forum and if that is permitted. perhaps it is not a good idea, since this is Mr.Cohen forum, no bee's flying around and making buzz.
bee
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:40 pm

bee wrote:I can e-m photos of my paintings to you, if you wish. I have a pretty good digital camera, gives me the opportunity so save everything on my computer. I resize/resample to 80kb-100kb, it fits very well in e-m. :lol:
Thanks in advance, bee, for the email. :)

Tom

PS: It would be fatally wrong to stir up battles already fought elsewhere. That's why I predictably didn't specify...

Return to “News”