Russell Harvey passed away.

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Suemerlyn

Re: Russell Harvey passed away.

Postby Suemerlyn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Just want to briefly share my experience of Russell's farewell service yesterday (Nov 16). As such events go, it was one of the nicest I have attended.
He had time to organize what he wanted, and it was a very fitting tribute for him.

We all gathered in a beautiful little church in a village near his home. It was a humanist service held in a church. We listened to the clear tones of Leonard singing 'If it be your will'. Moving tributes were made to Russell by two of his daughters, his brother and various members of the congregation - spontaneously it seemed for the most part. I said a few words about my experience of sharing the house with him on Hydra 4 years ago, and learnt things about his life from others who knew him in a different capacity. Unlike in a crematorium, there seemed to be no time restriction.

A short poem written by Russell for the occasion was read out. Then there was a really lovely part of the ceremony - the family had provided a whole basket full of roses, and each person filed up to where his coffin lay, took a rose, added a short written message if they wished to, and entwined the stem of the rose into the woven fabric of his resting place. All to the accompaniment of Jeff Buckley singing Hallelujah. Beautiful. Thanks Russell for having the courage to organise your own farewell celebration.
Hello to Annie (A. Sukito) an Susan (Nefelly) who I saw yesterday and had very good talks with. Travel well, Russell.
A.Sukitu

Postby A.Sukitu » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Suemerlyn, this is a very true and lovely remembering and telling. Russell would have loved it. Bless him for arranging it.
What I remember particularly was Russell being carried in through us in his green coffin, and being carried out at the end before we left, this time his coffin being entwined with red and yellow rosebuds and messages from all his friends. (See Suemerlyn's description above). Beautiful.
Russell was so there and Russell is so missed.
RIP, Russell,
Sincerely, your friend, Annie
I'd add heartfelt thanks to Mel and to all Russell's family and friends, for their open invitation and hospitality to let us share saying farewell to Russell.
[always good to meet up with Nefelly and good to meet Suemerlyn]
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
Nefelly

Postby Nefelly » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Well A.Sukito and Suemerlyn YOU have just about said it all ....... It was a gloriously uplifting and moving ceremony. Every last detail thought of by Russell and such a movingly respectful way to say goodbye to him. Tears, smiles, amusing stories and beautiful music. Also meeting Russell's lovely Family - I add my thanks to their kindness to invite us, to the reception too, where we had the chance to chat. Thank you Mel, Mia, Billie and Leoni, Mark and Russell's lovely Mum. He was obviously a much treasured Father, brother and son and will be much missed by them. Hope Suemerlyn got her train safely as we took a wrong turning to the station and cut it all very fine .... It was so lovely also to meet up with A.Sukito again and to meet Suemerlyn properly after our brief June 02 hello. Thank you Russell for organising such an amazing ceremony, how brave of you. RIP.
margaret

Postby margaret » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Thank you to those who were able to attend the service and report back to us here. It sounds like it was a wonderful occasion with so many mixed emotions and memories of a lovely man.

Farewell Russell. Rest in peace.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Thank You, A.Sukitu, Nefelly, and Sue, for being there for Russell, his loved ones, and for us.
Beautiful reports of Russell's lovely ceremony.
My heart is with Russell and all who knew and loved him.
"Farewell Russell. Rest in peace." Yes...
xoxo
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
godnose

Postby godnose » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:22 am

This is really touching.

Billie, it so sweet for you to have come here. God bless him.
Suemerlyn

Postby Suemerlyn » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:03 pm

I posted this right after Russell's funeral on 16th November, but it somehow didn't make it to the page, it went to somewhere called Topic Review, so I have copied and pasted it, and the replies to this, onto the Russell page on the Forum.

Just want to briefly share my experience of Russell's farewell service yesterday (Nov 16). As such events go, it was one of the nicest I have attended.
He had time to organize what he wanted, and it was a very fitting tribute for him.

We all gathered in a beautiful little church in a village near his home. It was a humanist service held in a church. We listened to the clear tones of Leonard singing 'If it be your will'. Moving tributes were made to Russell by two of his daughters, his brother and various members of the congregation - spontaneously it seemed for the most part. I said a few words about my experience of sharing the house with him on Hydra 4 years ago, and learnt things about his life from others who knew him in a different capacity. Unlike in a crematorium, there seemed to be no time restriction.

A short poem written by Russell for the occasion was read out. Then there was a really lovely part of the ceremony - the family had provided a whole basket full of roses, and each person filed up to where his coffin lay, took a rose, added a short written message if they wished to, and entwined the stem of the rose into the woven fabric of his resting place. All to the accompaniment of Jeff Buckley singing Hallelujah. Beautiful. Thanks Russell for having the courage to organise your own farewell celebration.
Hello to Annie (A. Sukito) an Susan (Nefelly) who I saw yesterday and had very good talks with. Travel well, Russell.
Suemerlyn
Suemerlyn

Postby Suemerlyn » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:05 pm

I don't understand what has happened to my post on this page about Russell's funeral service, which was lovely, and the replies to that. These have all mysteriously gone into something called Topic Review, where they are not visible to the readers of the Forum.
Suemerlyn

Postby Suemerlyn » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:32 pm

ok, sorted, I can see those posts now... sorry!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:22 pm

I've been wondering if someone might be able to share Russell's own words spoken through the poem he wrote himself for this occasion.
I would love, too, being able to imagine his reading it aloud for me.
~ Oscar Wilde
LeonieHarvey-Rolfe

Postby LeonieHarvey-Rolfe » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Here is his poem that was read out at the end of the service. Thank you for all your kind words, Leonie.

I Repent by Russell Harvey

I repent. I repent all my mistakes
My wrong actions
Unkind words spoken
The bad thought had.

If all you think
And do
And speak
Is good
Then you will be good.

Good.
I am glad I cleared the air.

Amen.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:17 am

Russell's beautiful poem speaks so much and so well of him and all he was... thank you so much for bringing it to us, Leonie.
Even in what had to be his sadness with his impending death, his wit prevailed.
As he would have, had he recited his poem in person, he made me laugh at the end.
Thank you so much, Russell.

All the best to you, Leonie, and to the rest of Russell's family and loved ones,
Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”