Something about Leonard Cohen @ TV Pública Argentina

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Goldin

Something about Leonard Cohen @ TV Pública Argentina

Post by Goldin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 pm

June 7, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_igBJ9PgwQ
Todavía es temprano

Repasamos la vida de Leonard Cohen. El novelista, cantante y poeta canadiense que a los 79 años sigue de gira compartinedo su música a todo el mundo. Ícono de un estilo inconfundible, recorremos su obra, donde temas como el amor, el sexo y la depresión son recurrentes.
Google Translate:
It's still early [title of the TV program]

We review the life of Leonard Cohen. The novelist, Canadian singer and poet at age 79 still touring compartinedo their music worldwide. Unmistakable style icon, we walk her work, where topics such as love, sex and depression are recurrent.
The subtitles read: un estilo inconfundible i.e. "an unmistakable style."
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
Goldin

Re: Something about Leonard Cohen @ TV Pública Argentina

Post by Goldin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Comments, please?

What's this all about? Why so many times Roman Polansky is mentioning?!
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:20 pm

I wonder how "we walk her work"? That's a bit of a walk on the wild side.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
rike

Post by rike » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:47 pm

My Spanish is too rudimentary to attempt a coherent rendition of all the talk about Polanski. I understand only bits and pieces, but hope that my Spanish speaking friend comes through. I'll let you know when and if he does.
By the way, I always wondered why LC never performed in South America -- or did he? You might know.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
Goldin

Post by Goldin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks, Rike! I'll wait for your update.

Yes, he have never performed in South America (also in any Asian country except Israel and Turkey, also in Africa).
rike

Post by rike » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:22 pm

According to my Spanish speaking friend, the reference to Roman Polanski is
"The comparison is that both Cohen and Polanski have been highly determined men. Despite their ages, they still produce great work in their respective fields. In addition, both have overcome many obstacles. Polanski, for example, had parents who were Holocaust victims, yet he was still able to go on and create admirable work to this day, as does Cohen."
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:51 am

Working on a transcription/translation of this. Patience, and shuffle the cards.
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:43 am

Okay, got it, or at least close enough for non-government work.
Let’s go on quickly to the subject of the report, shall we? Leonard Cohen
[Title] An Unmistakable Style
[narration over video of Cohen]
Novelist, singer and poet. The man with the deep voice who has influenced Nick Cave and Morrissey among others. In his works he has very emotional lyrics and a thematic trilogy: love, sex and depression. Born in 1934 in Canada, he had a good childhood and a university education. At only 22 years old he published the first of his books of poetry. He acknowledged among his idols the Spaniard Federico García Lorca. In 1963 he published The Favourite Game, which is a novel of learning. Three years later Beautiful Losers appeared, where he advances, without knowing it, a part of the thematic material of his songs, or if one prefers, what would be the central themes of his creations. In 1966, settled in the United States, Cohen began singing at folk music festivals. It was Judy Collins who made his song Suzanne a commercial success. His first European tour takes place in 1970. He does it while consuming all kinds of drugs. During more than 30 years Cohen shares his vision with those who know how to explore the mysteries of the inner life. His trajectory has been distinguished by the richness of his lyrics; Cohen’s stylistic production appears on records like Songs from a Room, in 1969, Songs of Love And Hate in 1971, Death of a Ladies’ Man, 1977, or I’m Your Man, 1988. In 2005 he sues his manager Kelley Lynch for diversion of funds, 5 million dollars. In March of 2006, he obtains a ruling in his favor. Lynch flees. The same year he releases a new book of poems, Book of Longing, and the documentary Leonard Cohen, I’m Your Man, has its premiere. In 2008 he goes back onstage at 73 years old, to do a world tour that is welcomed with enthusiasm both by the critics and the public. In 2009 Live in London goes on sale, a recording of one of the concerts on the tour. At almost 79 years of age, he is fully active. He plays music, he composes and, above all, he writes. Uninterested in social networks, Leonard Cohen also meditates and often retires to monasteries that do not appear on the maps.

[In-studio conversation:]

The guy is still on tour at 79 years old.

I told you, he was the example.

That is so impressive.

You see? There are, there are three guys I have as examples, who are above all of them and they’re Roman Polanski, Keith Richards and Leonard Cohen.

And what do they have in common?

Staying-power. They’re 80 years old, they get to 80 years old with everything that has happened to them, Roman Polanski is one of those personalities that the more you know about their lives, the more it depresses you. The guy makes genius films, he has a gorgeous wife, some beautiful children, and sometimes we complain about things, you see?

True, true.

And the same with Leonard, well, his lifelong friend defrauded him of 5 million dollars a few years ago and, well, he was left broke. And he returned to touring because of that, he’s recovered and doubled the amount.

They’re three who had a lot of influence, you might say. They didn’t go unseen, they didn’t go down the tubes, they had a central position, with a lot of influence.

Yes, yes, Keith Richards was born in the middle of a bombardment.

Of course.

And Roman Polanski lost his parents, his mother in a camp, in Auschwitz.

Yes. And from there on, they had everything against them.

And we see them on the screen, on the stage, anywhere, anyone who could cross the street…

Good.

And there it comes to you that your problems are really never that serious.

Yes. I feel more relieved.

I’m glad.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks Helen for this translation. It is such a concise biography of LC.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Goldin

Post by Goldin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks, Rike and Helen!

Return to “News”