AN EVENING WITH LEONARD COHEN (circa 1955)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
sturgess66

AN EVENING WITH LEONARD COHEN (circa 1955)

Post by sturgess66 »

Robert Landori is an author of several novels - more info about him here ...
http://www.robertlandori.com/index.php/ ... ard-cohen/
AN EVENING WITH LEONARD COHEN
April 26, 2013 | Author Robert Landori

LEONARD COHEN In the Fall of 1955 Leonard and I were undergraduates at Montreal’s McGill University. I hated studying Accounting and Economics, but, out of shear hard-headedness, I stuck to the Double Honours programme I had chosen because, as far as I was concerned, failure at anything was not an option. So I had to be careful about what extra-curricular activities to participate in – my free time was very limited. I finally opted for working for the McGill Daily and Debating. It turned out I had a talent for overpowering people with the spoken word and this landed me a place on the McGill Intercollegiate Debating Team. The President of the Debating Society was none other than the great wordsmith and now famous poet-balladeer, Leonard Cohen, who had recently been elected to succeed another Cohen(Douglas – no relation) to that office. One night Leonard and I sallied forth on the Intercollegiate Debating Circuit on behalf of McGill University McGillto match wits with students at Marianapolis College, founded in 1908 by the Congregation of Sisters of Notre Dame as the first bilingual institution of higher learning for English-speaking Catholic women in Quebec. The debate’s topic was “Resolved that the world was a better place at the turn of the Century (1900) than today (1956).” Leonard turned up very formally dressed as always (in a dark grey suit and shirt and tie) and insisted on addressing me throughout the evening as Mr. Landori-Hoffmann. Halfway through the debate one of our opponents (they were defending the Resolution and we were opposing it) postulated that the reason why the world was in better shape “then” than “now” was because there were less condoms available in the world in 1900 than in 1956. This brought the house down and inspired Leonard and me to spectacularly humorous double entendus. Needless to say, we won handsomely. To compensate for our crass insensitivity we invited our worthy opponents for a drink at the bar of the old Berkeley HotelBerkeley Hotel, just down the hill from the College, where we stayed until closing time. Leonard and I walked home together and shared an umbrella (mine). When we reached his home on Belmont Avenue he folded the damned thing (very old, with a lovely green sheen) because it had stopped raining and walked away with it. I have seen neither Leonard nor the umbrella since.
Cheshire gal

Re: AN EVENING WITH LEONARD COHEN (circa 1955)

Post by Cheshire gal »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
rike

Post by rike »

Thank you for posting this delightful find.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

Leonard Cohen. Poet, songwriter, philosopher, umbrella thief.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

These personal recollections are such gems. Thank you for posting this Linda.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Priceless :lol: 8) :D !!!
Thanks for posting this, Linda.
Have to believe that Leonard took the lead with the first double entendre.
Wish the writer could have remembered even one.

And, then, about that umbrella... ;-)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

:lol:

Keep your friends close, and your umbrellas closer.

Thanks for sharing. Fun read.
Will... If It Be Your Will

Return to “News”